G7 - What is going to happen next?

In the press release that was published on each of the G7 corps’ websites on May 19, the G7 stated -

“Efforts to develop the proposal’s new touring model will continue through the summer with the hope that events and future plans can be announced in September 2010 for the summer of 2011. During the coming months additional discussions will continue as the seven organizations create a plan that includes detailed implementation timelines, analyzes financial implications, develop show formats, marketing concepts, and adjudication framework, with the goal the long lasting sustainability of the activity.”

One can only assume that this is indeed happening and one can likely assume the many of the event concepts that were listed in the G7 PowerPoint are the concepts that are likely being included in the “New Tour Model” plan that they are working on. These concepts include”

- Only the G7 participate in the events.

- The G7 are the financial beneficiaries of the events.

- 10 Events are being planned for 2011.

- The events will be managed by the G7.

- The G7 will participate in fewer during the week events.

While there are certainly many more items that can be added to this list, for the purposes of this posting, five are plenty.

In the report from the DCI Board of Directors, which was released on May 27, it was stated that the agenda at the July board meeting in Minneapolis in conjunction with the DCI Minnesota Premiere Event “is scheduled to include a presentation from a group of corps wishing to propose alternatives to the currently approved strategic plan.”

Let’s assume G7 makes a events proposal at that meeting whose content is very much like what was presented at the May meeting of the board of directors and includes the five above concepts (and many of the other concepts they have already proposed). What are the possible outcomes?

The board says “yes” to the proposal and the events concept becomes part of DCI’s plan.

Why would the board vote “yes” to a proposal with the concepts that have already been presented? They have re-evaluated their position and think it is a great idea. They just want to keep the G7 happy. They are afraid if they don’t keep the G7 happy, they will walk. While I am sure a longer list of why the board would vote “yes” could be produced, I really cannot fathom that a proposal that looks like the original proposal will pass at the July meeting for any reason.

So the proposal gets voted down. What happens then?

A committee composed of G7 and other corps reps agree to make the plan more inclusive. Really don't think this will happen.

The G7 just drops the idea and things return to normal. Don’t think this will happen.

The G7 goes ahead and creates their own little special event circuit and plans to do their own events as well as DCI events. Are the other corps just going to sit back and let this happen? Personally, I think not and this is going to be the place where the war could really begin and get ugly.

In my opinion, it is the G7 who are in the wrong on this thing, not that certain points that they have made are worth considering. But the fact that they are so “We are allowed to create our own little club. We are allowed to meet in secret even if 4 of us have fiduciary DCI board responsibilities. We are the best. We bring in the money. We should run the activity. Etc. Etc. Etc.” and so much more makes them wrong in my book. It is the G7 that should be the ones who “give” and I think it is up to us to help them realize their errors, help them realize the importance of being a team player, and "encourage" them to reconsider their position and quit being so #### self-centered.

Wouldn’t it be nice of no presentation is made in July and the G7 decide to proceed with planning for the future the proper way - openly and with the participation of their colleagues?

I think it is up to us to help avoid the war.

Fans (and music educators especially – you have some special clout) and Alumni, if you have not yet let the G7 know of your opinions, write letters. At the shows you attend, drop off respectfully written letters addressed to corps directors at their souvenir booths. Write a letter or email and send it to the board members of G7 corps. Tell them what you think. Tell them what you will and won’t be doing under certain scenarios. I like how someone posted they sent a email about their thoughts on the subject in response to a fund raising solicitation from a corps.

And lets not wait until we see the outcome of the board meeting that is occurring on July 17th to get started.

I believe Margaret Mead’s famous quote holds true for this situation.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever does.”

Let’s not just sit around and ##### and post on Drum Corps Planet. Let get active and change the direction of this thing.

Edited by brucerobertt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I've explained that I am going to talk to people when I go to the show. Maybe give a boo or two, or a shout at the beginning / end of the show.

Apparently this makes people angry though.

Seems a lot of people are unwilling to take concrete steps to voice their opinion. Posting on DCP isn't going to cut it.

Unfortunately, he's not kidding. See other threads here. While I strongly believe that booing, yelling stuff out at shows, or chastising volunteers at shows is a dreadfully misguided mistake, I do agree that sharing thoughts with the directors of the G7 corps is worth doing. Especially those G7 corps one has supported in the recent past.

Today I got a fundraising e-mail from Regiment. A year ago, I would have donated in response to this e-mail. This year, I am replying no, and respectfully explaining that my "no" is directly related to the corps' support for G7, and pledging to renew support if the corps changes its mind on G7, but until that time, no further financial support of any kind will be possible.

I do agree with OP that it's very important to not just delete the e-mail, but reply and very respectfully explain why one chooses not to donate. They need to hear it from fans and alumni and understand that as much as we love one particular corps, we love the collective of drum corps more.

Edited by Peel Paint

well, I've explained that I am going to talk to people when I go to the show. Maybe give a boo or two, or a shout at the beginning / end of the show.

Apparently this makes people angry though.

Seems a lot of people are unwilling to take concrete steps to voice their opinion. Posting on DCP isn't going to cut it.

The point I think you miss is that IMO, taking these kinds of actions garners more sympathy for your opponents than support for our view.

Most people attending a DCI show don't hang out here and have no idea what G7 even is, but they do know that when some fans are rude to performers on the field or to others innocently associated with a corps that may according to some have made a poor choice, they don't care about anything other than the rudeness, even if they would otherwise agree with you.

Go back through the archives and read the thread about how people reacted to the Cadets being booed at semis in Pasadena. IT MAKES YOUR OPPONENT SYMPATHETIC AND IS NOT EFFECTIVE.

Edited by Peel Paint

You are kidding, right? Don't take your frustrations out on the kids. Be respectful. Please.

there are no other options... these 7 corps have put us, as fans, in the position. We can voice our disproval, but then we will be blamed as "attacking the kids" and such. There is nothing else to do. I would write emails to the corps but the directors will just hit the delete button, probably without even reading it.

If you have a better idea, please share, but so far I haven't heard any.

Perhaps these corps should be respectful of the other 40 drum corps. Instead, these 7 are telling the others that they suck and no one wants to watch them perform.

Go back through the archives and read the thread about how people reacted to the Cadets being booed at semis in Pasadena. IT MAKES YOUR OPPONENT SYMPATHETIC AND IS NOT EFFECTIVE.

from what I remember, a lot of people thought they deserved it. And all they wanted was a field with markings that they could see. Very minor compared to trying to kill off 40 other drum corps.

Edited by soccerguy315

there are no other options... these 7 corps have put us, as fans, in the position. We can voice our disproval, but then we will be blamed as "attacking the kids" and such. There is nothing else to do. I would write emails to the corps but the directors will just hit the delete button, probably without even reading it.

If you have a better idea, please share, but so far I haven't heard any.

Perhaps these corps should be respectful of the other 40 drum corps. Instead, these 7 are telling the others that they suck and no one wants to watch them perform.

from what I remember, a lot of people thought they deserved it. And all they wanted was a field with markings that they could see. Very minor compared to trying to kill off 40 other drum corps.

you'd be surprised who reads the emails...one or two may even respond.

best way....do what I did. I sent an email, and stated while I already bought my tickets and would still go, i would no longer sponsor people for their corps if the proposal went thru,and I would no longer purchase any of their souveniers.

boy did I get responses. of course, one was trying to sell me on the genius of the G7 idea ( then i reminded the sender I haven't paid to go to a show he promotes in my region...and he promotes several...unless i snag a freebie or 4.)

talking to volunteers just plays into a few of their views about older fans who stuck in the past. Booing does even moreso. In fact, it could even start ugliness in the stands as people around you blast yo for being a moron.

but hey, if you want to be "that guy", go ahead, but remember, your behavior could afect all of us in the long run...in the way we don't want

Brucerobertt: I am very curious about your opinion concerning contacting the directors of the G7. People writing to Senators, Representatives, Governors, and even the President, as well as people making statements with overwhelmingly lopsided poll numbers on a particular subject, have shown to have absolutely no swaying power over our elected officials; and they know that we can even vote them out of office. But they still do what they want when they want. So, what makes you think that the directors of the G7 are any different?

Edited by Stu

You are kidding, right? Don't take your frustrations out on the kids. Be respectful. Please.

While "I" don't boo, I support the right of others to boo.

After all you could look at these "kids" ( cough cough, yea like it's stil mostly 14/15/16 year olds) as being the ones at fault for paying the fees that allow these G7 directors and menions to "rule the roost".

The staff and managements look for every way to make a buck off the kids yet hide behind "the kids" every chance they get.

I still can't bring myself to boo but I'd sure like to so I just won't pay for shows or give any money to G7 corps.

Brucerobertt: I am very curious about your opinion concerning contacting the directors of the G7. People writing to Senators, Representatives, Governors, and even the President, as well as people making statements with overwhelmingly lopsided poll numbers on a particular subject, have shown to have absolutely no swaying power over our elected officials; and they know that we can even vote them out of office. But they still do what they want when they want. So, what makes you think that the directors of the G7 are any different?

We are not the government. We are a little niche activity, a fraternity. Its not like these guys get tons of letters on various issue. And how often do you think a board member gets a letter from a concerned fan or alumn? Imagine Phantom's board discussion after they receive a bunch of negative feedback from their fundraising direct mailing.