Just noticed this in the G7 Proposal

That is why I see no problem with this G7. I lost all respect for those corps, but I want them to leave and become band. Drum corps will survive and maybe even thrive with a complete changing of the guard. How many drum corps purists are going to go see a band show just because it is now the Blue Devils band? I really don't know the answer, maybe more, maybe less, but they will not be the same and drum corps can start working itself back to drum and bugle corps without all the complete game changing proposals Hoppy has been throwing at the board. This could be a win/win, a lose/lose or any combo therein. But really, G7 take your game and go, see ya. Wait no I won't, I personally don't enjoy band shows so I won't be there to see ya.......

Hey 84Sky: Most of us here on DCP enjoy the Troopers and the Colts as much as the Blue Devils and the Cadets. Nevertheless, we are not talking one group, like Star, leaving to form Blast. We are talking about seven stalwart corps leaving to form their own organizational system. What if the United States, Russia, France, Germany, England, China, and Japan decided to leave the Olympics? What if Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, United States, and England decided to leave the World Cup Soccer? What if the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and Giants decided to leave the MLB? What if the Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Broncos, Saints, and Bears decided to leave the NFL? And they decided to form their own respective organizational bodies?

In my opinion, the Olympics, World Cup, MLB, and NFL would possibly survive; because many good countries and many good teams would still compete in those activities. But I also contend that most of the fan base would follow the stalwart teams into their respective new organizational systems. And if the G7 split off from DCI, and the competitive nature of their shows are kept in tact with a similar judging system, DCI might survive because it will still have great groups like Boston, Scouts, Blue Stars, Troopers, et al. But I also believe the majority of the fan base will follow the G7. Why? Because whether we like it or not, the Blue Devils are like what the Yankees are to Baseball; The Cadets are like what Brazil is to the World Cup; Crown, The Cavaliers, SCV, Regiment, and Bluecoats do stand as stalwart teams like the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bears. With the exception of the Scouts, all of the past DCI champions from 1973 - 2009 are in the G7; and the fans will more than likely follow those champions; at least in the short term. While I do not agree with the arrogance of calling themselves "The Act", which impies they are the only ones who have meaning; I do believe that they are the "main" act due to the competative nature of the activity and their combined championship rings. If the G7 decide to split and becomes a novilty, the fans will gravitate back to DCI; if the G7 decide to split and becomes a main stay, DCI will lose the luster it now holds and it will take many years to build the stature up for any new stalwart corps to develop in DCI.

What this all boils down to is money. If the G7 have the money to split and form their own entity, and they do not get their way in DCI, they will split; if they do not have enough capital to form a new organizational body, they will seek compromises and stay in DCI. But either way, although they might not have the voting power to sway the other corps, they currently do have the largest money power base, fan base power base, and championship ring power which can and will sway the DCI ticket sales.

Edited by Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and Giants decided to leave the MLB? What if the Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Broncos, Saints, and Bears decided to leave the NFL? And they decided to form their own respective organizational bodies?

In my opinion, the Olympics, World Cup, MLB, and NFL would possibly survive; because many good countries and many good teams would still compete in those activities. But I also contend that most of the fan base would follow the stalwart teams into their respective new organizational systems.

Not only do I disagree with your point....you really ought to swap Chicago for Philadelphia to better illustrate the comparisons.

Hey 84Sky: Most of us here on DCP enjoy the Troopers and the Colts as much as the Blue Devils and the Cadets. Nevertheless, we are not talking one group, like Star, leaving to form Blast. We are talking about seven stalwart corps leaving to form their own organizational system. What if the United States, Russia, France, Germany, England, China, and Japan decided to leave the Olympics? What if Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, United States, and England decided to leave the World Cup Soccer? What if the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and Giants decided to leave the MLB? What if the Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Broncos, Saints, and Bears decided to leave the NFL? And they decided to form their own respective organizational bodies?

In my opinion, the Olympics, World Cup, MLB, and NFL would possibly survive; because many good countries and many good teams would still compete in those activities. But I also contend that most of the fan base would follow the stalwart teams into their respective new organizational systems. And if the G7 split off from DCI, and the competitive nature of their shows are kept in tact with a similar judging system, DCI might survive because it will still have great groups like Boston, Scouts, Blue Stars, Troopers, et al. But I also believe the majority of the fan base will follow the G7. Why? Because whether we like it or not, the Blue Devils are like what the Yankees are to Baseball; The Cadets are like what Brazil is to the World Cup; Crown, The Cavaliers, SCV, Regiment, and Bluecoats do stand as stalwart teams like the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bears. With the exception of the Scouts, all of the past DCI champions from 1973 - 2009 are in the G7; and the fans will more than likely follow those champions; at least in the short term. While I do not agree with the arrogance of calling themselves "The Act", which impies they are the only ones who have meaning; I do believe that they are the "main" act due to the competative nature of the activity and their combined championship rings. If the G7 decide to split and becomes a novilty, the fans will gravitate back to DCI; if the G7 decide to split and becomes a main stay, DCI will lose the luster it now holds and it will take many years to build the stature up for any new stalwart corps to develop in DCI.

What this all boils down to is money. If the G7 have the money to split and form their own entity, and they do not get their way in DCI, they will split; if they do not have enough capital to form a new organizational body, they will seek compromises and stay in DCI. But either way, although they might not have the voting power to sway the other corps, they currently do have the largest money power base, fan base power base, and championship ring power which can and will sway the DCI ticket sales.

The only problem I see with this analogy, is that the Blue Devils will change from drum corps to band with wind instruments. So if the Yankees left baseball and started playing softball, would their fans stay loyal, or find a baseball team to follow. This change allows woodwinds which then turns the G7 into bandcorps. A whole different game in my opinion.

Not only do I disagree with your point....

Where does my DCI comparison go wrong? MLB is Marjor League and DCI bills itself as Major League; Yankees have 27 world titles; Blue Devils have 13 world titles. More fans pay to go see the Cowboys than go see the Browns. Go to a DCI show with The G7 on the docket, and then go to a DCI show with any other seven corps on the docket instead of them and you will see the vast difference in ticket sales. If the four highest winning world champions "of all time" and three other stalwart teams left their respective Major League organization, you do not think that would be devastating? Well, I believe that it would be just as devastating if that happens to DCI; but the only way to find that out would be for the G7 to bolt.

you really ought to swap Chicago for Philadelphia to better illustrate the comparisons.

I only wanted to use seven teams. Ok switch the Philies and the Cubs. My point still stands; if the seven stalwart teams left MLB that would be devistating; if the seven stalwart teams left NFL that would be devistating; if the seven stalwart countries left the Olympics that would be devistating; if the seven stalwart countries left the World Cup that would be devistating; and if the seven stalwart crops left DCI that would be devistating.

The only problem I see with this analogy, is that the Blue Devils will change from drum corps to band with wind instruments. So if the Yankees left baseball and started playing softball, would their fans stay loyal, or find a baseball team to follow. This change allows woodwinds which then turns the G7 into bandcorps. A whole different game in my opinion.

Bugles are no longer Bugles; they changed the day they went from no valves to having valves and actually changed into "band" instruments once they became Bb three valve; Drum Corps traditionally had no mallet instruments and changed in the 1939 from no mallets to adding "band" marching bells then to "band" grounded mallet instruments in the 1980's; Drum Corps have all but eliminated traditional color guards and replaced them with "band" dancing lines and multiple props; Sling Drums to Carriers; One Tom to multi-tenors. So, to make DCI a pure Drum Corps again, and not resemble a "Band" in any fashion, we need to go back all the way to the 1938 definition; because 2010 is a whole new game compared to pure 1938 drum corps.

Why do the niners always get left out..........sigh.

G

The 'niners ought to feel privileged; they can be the Madison Scouts of my NFL comparison :thumbup: Well......... maybe the Packers are the Scouts .....

Edited by Stu

The 'niners ought to feel privileged; they can be the Madison Scouts of my NFL comparison :thumbup: Well......... maybe the Packers are the Scouts .....

Hard to tell who they should be..they are the only team in NFL history to be undefeated in the superbowl with multiple appearances.....FIVE titles !! LOL...(I compare everything to drum corps)

Sure they have had a rough spot but 20 or so years of dominance.....

G

Hard to tell who they should be..they are the only team in NFL history to be undefeated in the superbowl with multiple appearances.....FIVE titles !! LOL...(I compare everything to drum corps)

Sure they have had a rough spot but 20 or so years of dominance.....

G

It's off topic, but the 9ers hit the skids when Eddie D. was forced out.

On topic, DC has lost its identity. All the changes have not made it better and I would argue in many cases worse. They keep polluting the unique sound of the all brass choir with pit crap, synths and God knows what else. A friend posted on Facebook SCV’s brass warm-up prior to the Walnut show. It was beautiful and brought a tear to my eyes. Watched a vid of their show and…nothing! Very sad!!!

From the ajudication slide:

ï‚­Performance

Percussion –20

Winds –20

Guard –20

ï‚–Averaged == 30% of the total score

Old Hoppy already has plans for woojwinds! We need to add a category for keys and soon Guitars and Bass!

G7 - written by a 7th grader?

Reads like a Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland movie - Hey, how are we gonna save DCI? I know! Let's put on a show!!!!

Disgusting! All in favor should be hung by their thumbs!