Just noticed this in the G7 Proposal

That's what I disagree with. Life goes on. The NFL would be fine with the remaining 25 teams. The Olympics have gone on with various nations boycotting or banned. Likewise, DCI will be fully viable with the other 39 corps if the G7 leave (provided they don't bankrupt themselves by paying the G7 ransom to get them to stay one more year).

I agree. I also would like to add that since 1972 in the NFL there have been 17 different super bowl winners, give or take one or two. MLB has had 22 different World series winners, give or take one or two. DCI has had 7 different DCI winners.

Dean

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it; the definition of Drum Corps is dependent on the individual interpretation and therefore always relative to the eye of the beholder. To you a Drum Corps can morph into a Brass Band with Sousaphones and Trombones; to a VFW person it should go back to G Rotors with no Grounded Pit; and to another person it can morph into Woodwinds, and Electronics. So, I completely understand why you would keep attending DCI events with the addition of Sousaphones, but would stop attending DCI events with the addition of Saxophones. However, I now have a question: If Drum Corps actually is "in the eye of the beholder", why is there so much DCP bashing and ripping apart of those who desire Woodwinds? Where is the respect for "the eye of the beholder"?

You are right again. There is a lot of woodwind bashing because a lot of people are very adamant that their opinion is the only correct opinion. Doesn't mean that because I agree with you that they are wrong. We all have opinions and they, (to us), are all correct. If woodwinds get voted into drum corps, then the eye of the beholder will change and hopefully you will have enough eyes to keep it going. I stopped going after last years horn doubling synth experiment gave me a bad taste. I just don't enjoy the shows anymore like I used to. I don't protest the shows or stand at the gate and boo, I just don't go anymore. P.S. I miss it, in my eyes.

You are right again. There is a lot of woodwind bashing because a lot of people are very adamant that their opinion is the only correct opinion. Doesn't mean that because I agree with you that they are wrong. We all have opinions and they, (to us), are all correct. If woodwinds get voted into drum corps, then the eye of the beholder will change and hopefully you will have enough eyes to keep it going. I stopped going after last years horn doubling synth experiment gave me a bad taste. I just don't enjoy the shows anymore like I used to. I don't protest the shows or stand at the gate and boo, I just don't go anymore. P.S. I miss it, in my eyes.

If electronic synth use is the issue that has made you stop attending DCI shows, then why not vocally support and promote DCA? That organization is "exactly" the instrumentation that you desire; they are competative in nature; and they put on very entertaining shows. You are from Iowa, and could easily attend the MN DCA shows in Aug; and if you wanted, you could possibly even go to NY in Sept for DCA finals. No electronics; No woodwinds; just Drum Corps instrumentation as you like it!

Edited by Stu

If electronic synth use is the issue that has made you stop attending DCI shows, then why not vocally support and promote DCA? That organization is "exactly" the instrumentation that you desire; they are competative in nature; and they put on very entertaining shows. You are from Iowa, and could easily attend the MN DCA shows in Aug; and if you wanted, you could possibly even go to NY in Sept for DCA finals. No electronics; No woodwinds; just Drum Corps instrumentation as you like it!

May have to check that avenue out. I haven't been too impressed with the DCA corps I have seen but I am sure there is better out there. No I won't say which corps I have seen out of respect for their attempt at making memories. They just weren't very good.

May have to check that avenue out. I haven't been too impressed with the DCA corps I have seen but I am sure there is better out there. No I won't say which corps I have seen out of respect for their attempt at making memories. They just weren't very good.

When you say not very good do you mean: Not very good for a corps of mainly highly skilled eighteen to twenty year olds that rehearse twelve hours each day, seven days a week, and tour all summer with twenty five to thirty performances all over the country (DCI)? or, Not very good for a corps that has sparse weekend rehearsals, with adults who have to work during the week and younger teenagers who cannot travel that much, with no way that they can tour all summer, and just five shows a year (DCA)? You cannot compare DCI "good" to DCA "good" to SDCA "good". Also, I think that you would be rather impressed at the quality produced by groups like the Buccaneers or MN Brass at DCA finals; especially considering their sparse rehearsal time. Am I a DCA fan; not really. I like the performance level produced by the multi hours put in by the skilled eighteen to twenty year old youth of DCI. But I do have the utmost respect for the DCA organization! Check out their finals in NY this Sept!

When you say not very good do you mean: Not very good for a corps of mainly highly skilled eighteen to twenty year olds that rehearse twelve hours each day, seven days a week, and tour all summer with twenty five to thirty performances all over the country (DCI)? or, Not very good for a corps that has sparse weekend rehearsals, with adults who have to work during the week and younger teenagers who cannot travel that much, with no way that they can tour all summer, and just five shows a year (DCA)? You cannot compare DCI "good" to DCA "good" to SDCA "good". Also, I think that you would be rather impressed at the quality produced by groups like the Buccaneers or MN Brass at DCA finals; especially considering their sparse rehearsal time. Am I a DCA fan; not really. I like the performance level produced by the multi hours put in by the skilled eighteen to twenty year old youth of DCI. But I do have the utmost respect for the DCA organization! Check out their finals in NY this Sept!

Point well understood, but I have never seen the top DCA corps, just far lower placing units,