In a Van down by the River..side

I love the Riverside show! Always full of die-hard, respectful drum corps fans.

My opinions stand pretty much the same from last night at Americafest. Though, the venues really made a difference. Yesterday, BD was loud, but tonight they seemed just overwhelmingly loud and had a few people covering their ears at the hit

of "La Suerte" in the opener. Their closer is killing me, though. I can't wait for them to scrap this version for a more exciting, complete ending worthy of a 14th ring.

SCV's closer was a bit cleaner tonight. However, that spread between BD and SCV is well-deserved, and I honestly don't see SCV catching them. I believe SCV's strongest offering right now is their fantastic guard.

It was nice to see Academy's show again without the crowd doing the wave. They have a much more mature sound than I've ever heard from them.

As much as I'd hate to disagree (about the guard), I have to here. At least from watching their Walnut VOD show, it seems that the guard had several timing issues with some to the point where it looked like a guard member completely forgot his/her move and was looking at someone else to "copy." That being something that I am not used to seeing in a Top 7 corps. With that said, their content, IMO, is actually quite excellent, even through the errors, I can see what they are trying to do and it's nuts. They seem to have a design that requires complex and intricate timing where even a tiny error will stand out. As they get better and better with this show, they will shine.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV's hornline plays fantastically, it's really a shame that their brass book doesn't really give them much time to do so, at a volume and length in which is impressive.

Academy is LOUD. and the horn sound is definitely the reason to love them this year. They just blow your face off with sound. In the opener. :tongue:

Has Academy fixed the mid voicing intonation issues. They were very evident in their first couple of shows. Hopefully the week of scrubbing in Maricopa provided the time to address this issue.

How much of the guard work is now in? Early, there wasn't much there but I am certain this changed since Maricopa.

And how about that Geoff Goddard and crew for giving their facilities to the Academy for a week. I bet you they were awesome hosts and Geoff is a class act!

Blue Devils use of the one key, fog horn bass note with the synthesizer at the end of the show ruined the whole brass book. They have such a wonderful brass sound this year and then to do that just ruins the whole show. Wayne please tell to lose that thing. It's really an insult to your talent.

Edited by AnaheimAlumni

Has Academy fixed the mid voicing intonation issues. They were very evident in their first couple of shows. Hopefully the week of scrubbing in Maricopa provided the time to address this issue.

How much of the guard work is now in? Early, there wasn't much there but I am certain this changed since Maricopa.

And how about that Geoff Goddard and crew for giving their facilities to the Academy for a week. I bet you they were awesome hosts and Geoff is a class act!

The mid voice tuning problem and tone discolor is almost gone. From what I've heard from talking to members, is that there are quite a few young members who just don't have the experience with playing their instrument to create the ideal characteristic sound that the rest of the hornline is capable of making, and readily demonstrates.

They have a whole bunch of mid 2000's Regiment members working on their brass staff so I'm sure that everything will be in fighting form by San Antonio where they can throw down with the big boys.

Was there for both SCV and BD. Enjoyed SCV though I am perplexed as to why they feel so far behind this year. Feels like a young corps. I can't wait to see them later in the season, though I fear that because they are so behind that it will come back to haunt them when we reach Indy.

As for BD... I have never hated a drum corps show until now. I used to be a huge BD fan, but they have now officially lost me. There wasn't one ounce of drum corps in this show. Period. The kids are extremely talented. But I feel the design staff has completely let them down with this vehicle. The mirrors are incredible distracting, the music (if you can call it that) is so dissident that it's almost as if Downey woke up one morning, threw up on blank sheet music, and thought it looked interesting. I did not enjoy any of it, and neither did the friends I attended the show with. Lots of Jazz runs, lots of the tired drumline body movements, a lot of the past three years just thrown on the field. It looked like a mess. There was very little marching. The guard, as always is beautiful, but in certain places distracting. The drumline is playing some clean beats, but same old stuff. FOr the past 5 years I've been waiting for Wayne Downey to entertain me like he used to, but I guess he's lost his touch. Oh well.

Sorry, I know this is negative, and I know I'm going to get flamed for it, but its an honest opinion. I'm not trying to be a downer. Last years show grew on me, but I disliked this one so much that it's not even going to get a second chance. I'm extremely saddened and disappointed in what I saw last night.

Edited by Newseditor44

Was there for both SCV and BD. Enjoyed SCV though I am perplexed as to why they feel so far behind this year. Feels like a young corps. I can't wait to see them later in the season, though I fear that because they are so behind that it will come back to haunt them when we reach Indy.

As for BD... I have never hated a drum corps show until now. I used to be a huge BD fan, but they have now officially lost me. There wasn't one ounce of drum corps in this show. Period. The kids are extremely talented. But I feel the design staff has completely let them down with this vehicle. The mirrors are incredible distracting, the music (if you can call it that) is so dissident that it's almost as if Downey woke up one morning, threw up on blank sheet music, and thought it looked interesting. I did not enjoy any of it, and neither did the friends I attended the show with. Lots of Jazz runs, lots of the tired drumline body movements, a lot of the past three years just thrown on the field. It looked like a mess. There was very little marching. The guard, as always is beautiful, but in certain places distracting. The drumline is playing some clean beats, but same old stuff. FOr the past 5 years I've been waiting for Wayne Downey to entertain me like he used to, but I guess he's lost his touch. Oh well.

Sorry, I know this is negative, and I know I'm going to get flamed for it, but its an honest opinion. I'm not trying to be a downer. Last years show grew on me, but I disliked this one so much that it's not even going to get a second chance. I'm extremely saddened and disappointed in what I saw last night.

Wow. Guess you should just stick to the cookie-cutter pablum that you apparently crave then.

Wow. Guess you should just stick to the cookie-cutter pablum that you apparently crave then.

Forgive him...he's on a mission from God! :tongue: