Southern California Open Class Corps

Living in Santa Clarita a lot of kids in H.S. band programs can't commit to corps because band camp and school starting run right into championships and the band directors won't let the kids out of band camp. The kids have to choose one or the other. Even when the band directors have marched themselves and know how beneficial corps could be for the kids. The experience alone is invaluable. It's a shame that theses kids don't get a chance to try until after graduation.

Then there is the cost. $2,000 a season is a lot in this economy and parents are finding it difficult to meet those fees. Even with fundraising. Volunteer hours aren't considered. Having a couple of kids who love drum corps breaks the bank.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Santa Clarita a lot of kids in H.S. band programs can't commit to corps because band camp and school starting run right into championships and the band directors won't let the kids out of band camp. The kids have to choose one or the other. Even when the band directors have marched themselves and know how beneficial corps could be for the kids. The experience alone is invaluable. It's a shame that theses kids don't get a chance to try until after graduation.

Then there is the cost. $2,000 a season is a lot in this economy and parents are finding it difficult to meet those fees. Even with fundraising. Volunteer hours aren't considered. Having a couple of kids who love drum corps breaks the bank.

Keep an eye out...I might be changing that to some extent in about a year if all goes well...

Or maybe kids back then wanted to march drum corps because it was different than their hs band. Now what is the reason to join the corps? It is just band performed during the summer.

:thumbup: EXCUSE me??

Keep an eye out...I might be changing that to some extent in about a year if all goes well...

O rly?

O rly?

Yes, rly....I'm working on restarting En Garde in a year or so...depends on how things work out. It'll be a Sr, tho, so it'll be easier to do around school and less expensive (which is the thing I was referring to after RCM's post)

Edited by 84BDsop

Good to know...keep us updated. Especially now that LAUSD is changing it's school calendar too. HS this year JR next year and Elem the following year.

We could use a corps located up this way. Even in the San Fernando Valley would be great. Spent almost as much traveling to camps and rehearsals as the tour fees.

Know of some high schools that would allow field access. Plenty of DCI fans here.

Good to know...keep us updated. Especially now that LAUSD is changing it's school calendar too. HS this year JR next year and Elem the following year.

We could use a corps located up this way. Even in the San Fernando Valley would be great. Spent almost as much traveling to camps and rehearsals as the tour fees.

Know of some high schools that would allow field access. Plenty of DCI fans here.

New high school in Sylmar....that's what we;re working on. En Garde originally worked out of Granada Hills.

Glad to hear it....keep me informed may have kids to march.

Don't worry....you're on the list!

My partner's moving right now, so I won't be able to talk to him until he finishes digging a oath to his front door...

Does that make more sense, Sam?

Also, regarding your saturation theory, when I joined VK in 1970 they were based in Santa Ana (later moved to Anaheim); Kingsmen were in Anaheim; Diplomats were in Lynwood; Royal Guardsmen were in Carson; California Crusaders were in Carson; Royal Blues were in Covina; Imperial Dragons were in Los Angeles; Third Generation was in Los Angeles; Koyasan Boy Scouts were in Los Angeles; guess where Monterey Park Girls were? Plus, there were 4 youth bands in the Greater LA Area (Burbank Police, Santa Fe Springs, Royal Cavaliers and Whittier Elks Cavaliers. Plus, Santa Ana Winds were just starting).

Garry in Vegas

Heya......there were more than 4 youth bands, LOL. I don't remember Santa Fe Springs having a youth band till way into the 80's, but there was a youth band in every town just about. There was a "youth band council" that held a big show at the Shrine Auditorium every year. Was huge.

Some off the top my my pointy head, heh.

Bellflower Youth Band

Torrance Youth Band

South Gate Youth Band

Long Beach Junior Concert Band(can't leave them out albeit they didn't do corps style nor competitive field shows)

Reseda Youth Band

LA Police Youth Band

Florence Youth Band

Lakewood Youth Band(I think they were folded by 1970 as Bellflower got their old uniforms)

Los Caballeros Youth Band

Also....I think the high school bands trying to be drumcorps took it's toll on the youth band scene too just like the corps. Out of I think over 30 youth bands there are but THREE left and each hanging by a thread.

VK A Rare Medium!