Academy...am I missing something?

I don't know what your talking about when you say that Troops CG is less talented than last year? I've heard from many insiders that they are lightyears improved from last year and the show has much more technical difficulty. Troopers musical book is much more intricate and difficult and their visual and marching is much superior to Academy. If Troopers can truly master their show they will push late and challenge for finals.

Uhm..no. Neither corps are clean right now, but Troopers are way dirtier than Academy at this point, and Academy's hornline..just, wow. Personally, I don't think either corps is going to make it into finals, based off of Academy's tendency to peak early and the fact that the Troopers have so much ground to cover right now.

2010 is going to be a great year for drum corps!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13th or 14th at this point.

Madison is going to be in the Top 12 so that leaves Troopers on the outside already. Troopers' guard is nowhere nearly as talented as last year's crew, so I see that as being a big deterrent from them passing up Academy at this point.

However, either BK or Glassmen would have to take a huge step back for the Academy to see their way into the Top 12.

Here's the only way I see this happening.

First, the Academy would have to reverse a trend that has continually plagued the corps...they peak too early. Continually they are neck and neck early and then by that week after the Texas shows, we see the corps leveling off and other corps creating distance toward Allentown and onto finals week.

Reverse this trend...and catch either BK or G-Men and finals is in reach. I don't see it at this point yet. 13th or maybe 14th.

Last year they were in the 16-17 range out of San Antonio and finished in 14th, even if they didn't beat Troopers after the early season shows the scores/recaps were competitive until finals week. 2007 is really the only year where they completely leveled off competitively after Texas (with 2008 being sort of a competitive ruin the whole way through).

He wasn't making a fuss. He asked why people think Academy will/might make Finals.

He certainly wasn't complaining about predictions that Academy could make Finals. He asked for information.

The topic is just fine. Some of the responses he's received leave much to be desired.

Thank you for clarifying what I'm trying to ask/say. Again, I'll be happy for Academy if they make it, but I was just wanting people's opinions on their show/etc..

As I said before, I just seen a reply to this thread where someone said they'd been a long time fan, and they think Academy deserves a spot in the Top 12. There's a difference between thinking your favorite should make the top 12 for no reason, and saying a corps should make the top 12 because they earned it. If we all just wanted our favorite corps to win and place in Finals, that'd be easy right? We'd have so many different predictions...but that's not the reality

Reality is: everybody can't make Finals, and not always our favorite can make them either. I've said that about Spirit, and they're my favorite. Now if you have a favorite corps, and you actually understand their potentiality to place in the top 12 consistently, and prove to everyone that they deserve the spot, then that's a different story. It kinda sounds confusing, but I'm just saying there's a difference between wanting your favorite corps to place in the top 12, and realizing who's actually good enough to place there.

I don't know what your talking about when you say that Troops CG is less talented than last year? I've heard from many insiders that they are lightyears improved from last year and the show has much more technical difficulty. Troopers musical book is much more intricate and difficult and their visual and marching is much superior to Academy. If Troopers can truly master their show they will push late and challenge for finals.

I am a true believer that the top 12 will not be firmed up until early August and any of the following corps (Glassmen, Troopers, Academy, Spirit, Crossmen and Madison) could end up in 12th this year. Blue Knights are going to press into the top 8 and BD will, as usual, win it all! :tongue:

I saw them early last year. I also saw them early this year. In comparing the CG work, size and cleanliness, last year's offering was superior to this years in my opinion. I believe the guard is not to the calibre of last season's guard.

Also, both Troopers and Academy will be on the outside looking in, again, in my opinion. Madison will be in the top 12 this year and so far, the judges are saying the same thing.

I don't take a whole lot of stock in the "we'll get cleaner and then..." argument simply because EVERYBODY gets cleaner too. Barring sickness like last season with a few corps, I see nothing that stops Madison from joining the Top 12 this year. BK and Glassmen are solid lightyears away from leaving Top 12 at this point. Nope. Top 12 is 11 from last year minus Troopers plus Madison. That's how I see it from where things are right now.

Last year they were in the 16-17 range out of San Antonio and finished in 14th, even if they didn't beat Troopers after the early season shows the scores/recaps were competitive until finals week. 2007 is really the only year where they completely leveled off competitively after Texas (with 2008 being sort of a competitive ruin the whole way through).

When you compare their score increases after the Texas shows and look at other corps (who they beat early season last year...Troopers), I think you will see what I am talking about. And last year was not as prevalent as in previous years as the guard show continued to develop and get cleaner even after Texas.

Thank you for clarifying what I'm trying to ask/say. Again, I'll be happy for Academy if they make it, but I was just wanting people's opinions on their show/etc..

As I said before, I just seen a reply to this thread where someone said they'd been a long time fan, and they think Academy deserves a spot in the Top 12. There's a difference between thinking your favorite should make the top 12 for no reason, and saying a corps should make the top 12 because they earned it. If we all just wanted our favorite corps to win and place in Finals, that'd be easy right? We'd have so many different predictions...but that's not the reality

Reality is: everybody can't make Finals, and not always our favorite can make them either. I've said that about Spirit, and they're my favorite. Now if you have a favorite corps, and you actually understand their potentiality to place in the top 12 consistently, and prove to everyone that they deserve the spot, then that's a different story. It kinda sounds confusing, but I'm just saying there's a difference between wanting your favorite corps to place in the top 12, and realizing who's actually good enough to place there.

When most people make their top 12 predictions before July 4th, in most cases it's more of a wish list than anything else. That's because nobody has seen all the Corps. Most Corps havn't gone head to head, nor have many included their closer either visually or musically and put that in. Plus, none of us have a expertise in guard, drums, brass and all components that will be judged. Who predicted in June of last year that Phantom Regiment would finish 9th ? So if somebody puts The Academy in 12th this year at Finals on their 4th of July weekend prediction, it is no more unusual than predicting in June of last year that the defending DCI Champion would finish 9th come August.

I do agee with conventional wisdom here however, that to grab the 12th spot for some of these Corps will require beating the Madison Scouts it appears.

Edited by BRASSO

I completely understand everything you are saying :D When you said that you saw a reply stating that they'd been a long time fan, I knew it was my reply right away XD On my reply, I was referring to your original post's question where it asked to explain their prediction if they had Academy in the top 12 and I answered it by saying that...

"(To the OP) I am just a fan who loves the Academy and thinks that they have the potential to be in the top 12. Their hornline is what really makes me a big fan. Even when they were a Division II corps, they were always one of the loudest and richest-sounding groups of the night in Walnut[:"

I don't think I worded my reply right no answer your original

I didn't mean any offense or anything towards any corps when I said that so sorry if there was any offense committed[:

Reverse this trend...and catch either BK or G-Men and finals is in reach. I don't see it at this point yet. 13th or maybe 14th.

From what I've seen score wise, I don't think BK should be in this statement. In fact, I'd say Boston and Blue Stars may need to worry about BK, perhaps even PR.

Here's hoping Academy makes the jump to the top 12 soon.

Tom as you know they've been at my facility putting in quality time. They made significant strides and I believe they can indeed make finals. I sent Mark and the staff a note today on quick fixes that can bring in at least a couple of points quickly.

Right now it's all about mind of matter.

Based on my observations they lack road time. Without that, they are stuck in Phoenix with very limited work time. I've heard time and again about them not being on the road and having plenty of time to practice. That couldn't be farther from the truth as the AZ heat makes it nearly impossible to be outside. Add to the fact that they do not have an indoor facitlity and they are with very few options.

If they cannot go on the road more, then they need more schools locally to step up and assist. My school district and city stepped up and helped in a big way, we just need more districts and local goverment entities to step up and help.

Pardon the pun but they are on a different playing field for now.