What A Difference A “Fiedler” makes:

What A Difference A “Fiedler” makes?

If the answer is based solely on championships then Mr. Fielder has made no difference. SCV has not yet won a title under his tenure and it is doubtful they will this year. They have basically hung out just below 3rd place

If we are to use championships as the rule for judging the directors performance (or in Mr., Fielder’s case, Chief Executive Officer), then Jeff has made no measurable difference. We also need to ask ourselves if Drum Corps can objectively and analytically be judged. From my perspective you can possibly group corps in lets say 1-4, 5-7, 8 & 9 10 – 12. It is impossible to rank (judge) corps completely acutely 1-12. Last time I checked, drum corps is still judged my humans, just like the rest of us.

Drum Corps is 150 performers running around on a football field for 12 minutes doing amazing things at break neck speeds. Sure human can catch all of the errors. And then there is GE. They should just rename the caption to IMO. Like the rest of us dumb humans, judges like some stuff and they don’t like other stuff. 50% of the fans last year loved the BD’s show 50% of the fans disliked it. We could make the argument that any of the top 3 should have won. Maybe they should fire Crowns director.

Mr. Fielder’s role is CEO. Sure he participates in the show concept to some degree but he doesn’t write the music or the drill or teach brass or percussion. As CEO he hires a staff to develop, teach and clean the program. If we look at last years program and performance the staff completely delivered. The 2009 SCV show will go down as one of Drum Corps greatest artistic performances. I would suggest this is a much better indication of what Mr. Fielder has accomplished.

Once again we must remember Jeff is the CEO and not the Corps Director. As such he has different responsibilities and should be judged beyond placement If you look at SCV prior to Mr. Fielder’s arrival it was a house of cards. The SCV staff was a revolving door. Year to year significant staff changes were made because the current staff would not put up with the chaos and BS. Why? Because no one was in charge. The organization had internal cancer. The administrative staff was in conflict and the BoD had yet to take on a professional role. The tours were far less than pleasant and the Corps financially was a far cry from where it is today.

Mr. Fielder’s true role is the long term health and prosperity of the organization. His role is to make sure SCV thrives and can provide a positive Drum Corps experience for hundreds of kids for the next decade. Yes his role is also to assemble a staff that develops and teaches a program that has a competitive chance. If we look at last year’s work of art, Mr. fielder has delivered. I can only imagine what the experience the members had performing that show. At the end of day, this is what it is all about.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love for SCV to be competitively back on top. I marched in the 70’s and I won national titles and yes it was great. But that was then and this is now. I set on the SCV board when things were bad, very bad and I have seen the positive, continuous improvement. I made the initial call to Jeff to start the interview process and I am so grateful he became available. Jeff, the COO and the current BoD are responsible for a miraculous turn around. SCV is healthy, VERY well run and positioned for continued growth. The members receive one of the greatest experiences in all of Drum Corps and once again producing shows that set SCV apart.

Anyone who marched SCV or that matter Drum Corps should know “measuring” a Corps or a participant goes WAY beyond championships.

Thanks Mr. Fielder, the entire SCV staff and BoD for all that you do.[/font]

I thought Ms. Denise Bonfiglio was responsible for hiring the staff and the person in charge the past few years for which the staff was responsible to ...? Can someone clarify?

Well said and thank you : )

Was Jeff responsible for hiring or recruiting Andre Feagin? My god, that guy is inspirational. My son says he should be a motivational speaker!

I thought Ms. Denise Bonfiglio was responsible for hiring the staff and the person in charge the past few years for which the staff was responsible to ...? Can someone clarify?

Sure she does but I think you are missing the bigger point..........

Yup. The OP smells fishy. Points are fairly well taken, though no one inside the SCV organization would publicly concede in early July that the corps isn't going to win a championship and will hoover right below third place. That line was a real eye-roller. Very UN-SCV

I think it’s too early to judge Jeff on SCV’s competitive accomplishments. Under his leadership the BOD has been reorganized as well as the Booster Club. It seems like there is more stability with the creative staff. Their financial situation is in as good or better shape as when he got there. JW is back on staff and that’s a good thing. I also feel a more positive vibe from the alumni. I think it’s a shame that Rick is no longer with us, but I applaud his success with PR. I’m not sure what happened with Jeff P., but he had a successful business before his SCV tenure and I believe he’s back running the store. I wasn’t happy when SCV came out this year with an incomplete show and I let Jeff know it. He replied promptly and explained his reasoning and under DCI’s current rules, I agree with his decision. Right at the moment I believe he deserves two thumbs up!

Yup. The OP smells fishy. Points are fairly well taken, though no one inside the SCV organization would publicly concede in early July that the corps isn't going to win a championship and will hoover right below third place. That line was a real eye-roller. Very UN-SCV

Really DCP is full of predictions and placement polls etc etc etc. I saw the show in vista and IMO (which means very little) they just dont have the book this year. Again just my perspective. Let me be clear I am no longer with the org. Don't tell me "No one in SCV would ..... and Very Un SCV". You would not have a clue. But once again someone misses the point. "Fielder and crew are doing a great job"

Well, at least he wasn't referred to as a "Fiedler on the Roof"!

:thumbup:

Thanks, I'm here all season. Try the veal. Tip your server.

Garry in Vegas

What A Difference A “Fiedler” makes?

If the answer is based solely on championships then Mr. Fielder has made no difference. SCV has not yet won a title under his tenure and it is doubtful they will this year. They have basically hung out just below 3rd place

If we are to use championships as the rule for judging the directors performance (or in Mr., Fielder’s case, Chief Executive Officer), then Jeff has made no measurable difference. We also need to ask ourselves if Drum Corps can objectively and analytically be judged. From my perspective you can possibly group corps in lets say 1-4, 5-7, 8 & 9 10 – 12. It is impossible to rank (judge) corps completely acutely 1-12. Last time I checked, drum corps is still judged my humans, just like the rest of us.

Drum Corps is 150 performers running around on a football field for 12 minutes doing amazing things at break neck speeds. Sure human can catch all of the errors. And then there is GE. They should just rename the caption to IMO. Like the rest of us dumb humans, judges like some stuff and they don’t like other stuff. 50% of the fans last year loved the BD’s show 50% of the fans disliked it. We could make the argument that any of the top 3 should have won. Maybe they should fire Crowns director.

Mr. Fielder’s role is CEO. Sure he participates in the show concept to some degree but he doesn’t write the music or the drill or teach brass or percussion. As CEO he hires a staff to develop, teach and clean the program. If we look at last years program and performance the staff completely delivered. The 2009 SCV show will go down as one of Drum Corps greatest artistic performances. I would suggest this is a much better indication of what Mr. Fielder has accomplished.

Once again we must remember Jeff is the CEO and not the Corps Director. As such he has different responsibilities and should be judged beyond placement If you look at SCV prior to Mr. Fielder’s arrival it was a house of cards. The SCV staff was a revolving door. Year to year significant staff changes were made because the current staff would not put up with the chaos and BS. Why? Because no one was in charge. The organization had internal cancer. The administrative staff was in conflict and the BoD had yet to take on a professional role. The tours were far less than pleasant and the Corps financially was a far cry from where it is today.

Mr. Fielder’s true role is the long term health and prosperity of the organization. His role is to make sure SCV thrives and can provide a positive Drum Corps experience for hundreds of kids for the next decade. Yes his role is also to assemble a staff that develops and teaches a program that has a competitive chance. If we look at last year’s work of art, Mr. fielder has delivered. I can only imagine what the experience the members had performing that show. At the end of day, this is what it is all about.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love for SCV to be competitively back on top. I marched in the 70’s and I won national titles and yes it was great. But that was then and this is now. I set on the SCV board when things were bad, very bad and I have seen the positive, continuous improvement. I made the initial call to Jeff to start the interview process and I am so grateful he became available. Jeff, the COO and the current BoD are responsible for a miraculous turn around. SCV is healthy, VERY well run and positioned for continued growth. The members receive one of the greatest experiences in all of Drum Corps and once again producing shows that set SCV apart.

Anyone who marched SCV or that matter Drum Corps should know “measuring” a Corps or a participant goes WAY beyond championships.

Thanks Mr. Fielder, the entire SCV staff and BoD for all that you do.[/font]

:thumbup: Well spoken!