Chambersburg Review

Here is my review of the Chambersburg show......

General....super hot day, but they pushed the start time back.....great night, and an excellent crowd....excellent high school stadium......

Raiders..........good product for them this year.....logically arranged and a bit more accessible than some of their previous years.....I think they can tackle this show and be quite respectable in the open class by year's end......

Surf......patriotic theme show.....they played with better control tonight in brass, especially 1st half of program....had some stamina issues which caused tone to suffer late........good 2nd year WC corps......will be interesting to see what happens now that they are out busting tail all day every day..........

Spirit.....cleaner tonight than Ewing....that said, this is a tough sell program, and I think there was less impact/emotion tonight than in Ewing.........I get the futuristic concept, but I am not sure how well this program is going to sell...............

Crossmen.......cleaner and communicated better tonight than in Ewing....brass performance level was more confident, as was overall ensemble cohesion.....still, arrangements just don't generate at the level necessary to put them in the finals hunt, which is a shame, as they are working hard.....still, I thought they edged Spirit tonight, but it went a tenth the other way.....

Boston..........some great impacts, and they are competent.....however, ending is anticlimactic......several individual brass problems stuck out tonight, and percussion had some performance problems....I thought score was a bit high as a result........a good corps, though, and they could finish well by Indy, or be as low as 10th if they don't refine things.........

Phantom......I thought they made major progress since Ewing, and marching was much better tonight, as was ensemble cohesion.....I actually believe they have a slight edge in overall demand to Crown, and the quality of sound is growing quickly....a bit underscored tonight, and I had them in tighter to Crown, with a clear win in percussion.......I expect them to be very strong in Indy, and think they will be able to add some things and perhaps open up impacts a bit more.......

Crown.........I appreciate the brass quality of sound and overall musicality of the corps.......that said, I am not getting enough musical emotion out of the corps at this point, and I believe the overall show comes up a bit short compared to some of the other contenders.....there was also some phasing which I didn't hear at Ewing but did hear way back at Allentown (and I was just off of the 50 up high), and the percussion execution was not up to snuff tonight either......I also believe the perc. writing is a bit thick late in the program........I believe the score was a bit high, and I am not sure how this show is going to grow......don't get me wrong, they are a fine drum corps.....

Phantom played a fine encore of past hits....still a bit reserved in approach, but they displayed some fine musicianship....I just would like to hear them open up a bit more...........

goodnight!

GB

Great review. Wish I had been there

Nice review.... thanks!!!

Your'e on the money about the venue in Chambersburg. Great stadium for a drum corps show!