Before the season began, did you think Blue Knights had a shot at beat

Blue Knights Beating Santa Clara Vanguard?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Before the season began, did you think that Blue Knights would beat Vanguard during this season?

• Yes
    • No

Wes,

It does feel good to see your corps hit these milestones. When Bluecoats beat BD in 2007 that capped the beat everyone at least once for us, and now after last year only Cavaliers and BD stand as the only corps Bluecoats haven't beaten at finals. So enjoy your corps victory over a storied program like SCV I know I did in 2005 when Bluecoats finally topped them for the first time.

Personally I never got to beat Spirit, Madison, Cadets, SCV, or BD, but my corps has since gone on to beat all of them at least once.

Personally I'm very proud of the corps and it's current and past members, but I am also proud for Mark Arnold and his staff. Mark wouldn't want the limelight or to have his name in lights, but he's one of the longest tentured Corps Directors in DCI and really doesn't get the credit deserved. (top 3 in years with the corps I believe) Mark and his staff have never been afraid to test the boundries of competitive drum corps and they've done so successfully. The fact that BK is in a spot Geographically where it does not have a ton of corps around it makes it more isolated and thus maybe over the years a little forgotten. Through it all, BK has weathered each season with integrity and a family atmoshphere. One of my students who couldn't march this year after marching last said it best- He said-"I don't know what made you (Wes) think that the Blue Knights would be a good fit for me, but I could have never imagined such bonds and a feeling of team that I found at BK. I know I'll age out there and will be back next season." That's the unit, and the community that Mark Arnold- Andy, Marc, Jeff, Craig and other wondeful instructors have set up. Is it a surprise to see them beat SCV? I answered no, not because I am biased, but because I know the leadership that is represented in that corps day in and day out!! I GO ON! GO BK, KICK BUTT IN FRONT OF THE HOME CROWD!! :thumbdown:

By the by, good to hear from you Tricia, tell Craig hello, and if he stays on through Texas I'll see him. I however don't know what in the world you'd be subjecting your daughter to....... :whistle: ha ha ha ha

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm very proud of the corps and it's current and past members, but I am also proud for Mark Arnold and his staff. Mark wouldn't want the limelight or to have his name in lights, but he's one of the longest tentured Corps Directors in DCI and really doesn't get the credit deserved. (top 3 in years with the corps I believe) Mark and his staff have never been afraid to test the boundries of competitive drum corps and they've done so successfully. The fact that BK is in a spot Geographically where it does not have a ton of corps around it makes it more isolated and thus maybe over the years a little forgotten. Through it all, BK has weathered each season with integrity and a family atmoshphere. One of my students who couldn't march this year after marching last said it best- He said-"I don't know what made you (Wes) think that the Blue Knights would be a good fit for me, but I could have never imagined such bonds and a feeling of team that I found at BK. I know I'll age out there and will be back next season." That's the unit, and the community that Mark Arnold- Andy, Marc, Jeff, Craig and other wondeful instructors have set up. Is it a surprise to see them beat SCV? I answered no, not because I am biased, but because I know the leadership that is represented in that corps day in and day out!! I GO ON! GO BK, KICK BUTT IN FRONT OF THE HOME CROWD!! :thumbdown:

By the by, good to hear from you Tricia, tell Craig hello, and if he stays on through Texas I'll see him. I however don't know what in the world you'd be subjecting your daughter to....... :whistle: ha ha ha ha

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

He'll be there, I know he would like to see you. He told me about your job, congrats! I hope he goes to Texas to look for work, they've layed off so many teachers here he stands a very slim chance of teaching.

HELL TO THE NO! and there are 12 lying people who said they knew all along. :thumbdown:

I know how I felt the first time (we)The Cadets beat The Great Santa Clara Vanguard in 1982. The kids must be giddy and determined to do even more.

I'm happy for Blue Knights.

Edited by boxingfred

He'll be there, I know he would like to see you. He told me about your job, congrats! I hope he goes to Texas to look for work, they've layed off so many teachers here he stands a very slim chance of teaching.

Yeah this is a rough time for Fine Arts teachers nation wide. I've got many of my former students (man I'm getting old) now looking for jobs and are finding it tough to find much. I think school districts are cutting band director jobs and thus it's making those thinking of leaving stay put because of uncertainty. Never seen anything like it. I'm very blessed to be coming into my 11th year teaching and this will be my 7th year going forward at O'Connor HS in San Antonio. Craig should definitely look at coming to teach in Texas, although the jobs are a little slimmer, there's always a need!

Wes P

BK '97 '98

Did I think they at least had a shot?

Absolutely.

If we're being perfectly honest here, SCV hasn't been "on top" of the activity, in least in terms of finals placement, in years. The last time they were even in the top 4 was 2004, 6 years ago.

This decade they've placed:

2000: 4th

2001: 4th

2002: 4th

2003: 5th

2004: 3rd

2005: 8th

2006: 6th

2007: 5th

2008: 7th

2009: 5th

Since 2006, with the exception of last year, BK has placed in the middle group of the top 12 pack, which is where SCV has been placing as well.

Yes, however it is a huge deal that in the one full Caption- GE they beat SCV by half a point. That is significant. When performance vis, guard and Brass get added in it may change things, but I think BK is the better corps right now. Would not be surprised to see BK ahead in brass and guard this year, they are stellar!

WP

Agreed... and perhaps if the performance captions were added (at this juncture in the year) in the score difference may have actually been greater. :thumbdown:

Not trying to take anything away from BK... this is a historic accomplishment.

Congratulations.

BTW... I recall when Ralph Hardimon went to BK and they beat SCV in drums for the first time ever.

Did I think they at least had a shot?

Absolutely.

If we're being perfectly honest here, SCV hasn't been "on top" of the activity, in least in terms of finals placement, in years. The last time they were even in the top 4 was 2004, 6 years ago.

Since 2006, with the exception of last year, BK has placed in the middle group of the top 12 pack, which is where SCV has been placing as well.

So, I guess for you BK defeating SCV was not a real accomplishment but just an indicator of middle finalist mediocrity right?

Sorry, for me it is significant in that this year is a year with what might shape up to be the best finalist 12 we have ever had in DCI.

Again, good job BK.

So, I guess for you BK defeating SCV was not a real accomplishment but just an indicator of middle finalist mediocrity right?

Sorry, for me it is significant in that this year is a year with what might shape up to be the best finalist 12 we have ever had in DCI.

Again, good job BK.

I'm sorry, did I say that at any point? I mean, I won't stop you from putting words in my mouth if that's sorta what you dig, but I'm going to call you on it regardless.

Maybe I said it and I forgot saying it! That's possible!

I gave my reason for believing that BK had a shot: that SCV has fallen out of the top 4. I then backed that up with evidence. Why you read more into it than that is beyond me, but more power to you, I guess.

Personally, I'm thrilled for BK.

Great job Blue Knights. I didn't think they would beat SCV this season at all. There have been several years I thought Blue Knights have not quite placed as well as they deserved in the last decade. 2002-2005 are some of the years in question. I am a little concerned for SCV, as they have really been quite late getting their entire show onto the field this year. Both corps have excellent staffs, so it should be a good competition between them for the rest of the season.

It is kind of funny, I have always really loved Blue Knights shows, and the deep dark classical music they have put on the field are some of the best shows ever, musically, in my opinion. After watching their show a few times online this season, I don't necessarily like their music this year as much in years past. That may change after I see them live. But from what I can tell, their performance level is great this year. It's funny also, because one of my good friends who doesn't normally like Blue Knights shows, has liked them better the last 2 years than in the past, and while I enjoyed them, didn't like them quite as much as the shows from earlier in the decade.

Great job Blue Knights, I am sure the victory over SCV was well deserved, and can't wait to see you live soon. Good luck to both corps over the rest of the season, and may the better corps place higher at finals.