BD organization in jeopardy

BD is trying to fight the free market, a founding principle of our country! That is unacceptable!

and citizens taking part in the civic decision making process isn't a founding principle of our country?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound as if I want drum corps to disappear. And I'm sitting behind no one. I'm expressing my opinion just as you expressed yours, and I encouraged others to express theirs.

Or is yours the only one allowed to be expressed because yours represents true enlightenment?

Scare tactics? lol

Wow.

I didn't miss your point, but you missed the fact that while other drums corps survive without bingo because their operations are set up to do so, BD's operation years ago was set up to function on the proceeds from bingo. So, to say BD would be fine without bingo is making a large jump towards believing that other sources of income for the "A" corps and the myriad other ensembles serviced by the organization will materialize fast enough that the hit in bingo revenue won't be substantial.

Why do you hate our freedoms? Why do you hate America? :smile:

Anyways, no matter what you think of soccerguy's argument, or whether it makes real business or economic sense, it's the argument that will be used to support this. And if I know anything about city councils, they'll lap it up . . . economic arguments always trump moral arguments in cases like this. BD needs to be ready to counter it. Of course, if the new bingo operation is illegal it's a moot point.

Why is being "against BD" in the best interest of "most people?"

Do you live in Concord? Do you live in the Bay Area? Do you live in California? Maybe you do...I'm just curious about this as you seem to know what's in the best interest of Concord residents.

Mike (hiding behind "big brother DCI")

because in this instance, being against BD makes your FOR new businesses and an influx of money into the local economy.

It is also about free market economics, the driving force behind our country.

Most communities recognize a need to balance the elements of their own community, and that includes refereeing questions that sometimes pit community service organizations or way of life questions vs the interests of private enterprise.

And the driving force behind the US is individual freedom and self-determined government - that government presumably empowered to pass laws and ordinances designed to protect common good in the face of corporate or individual aspiration. Look up the Declaration of Independence, and you'll find only two references among the long list of grievances that have anything to do with money (non-representative taxation and cutting off foreign markets), which argues against the founders as seeing "the pursuit of wealth" as the national raison d'etre :smile:

Edited by mobrien

You sound as if I want drum corps to disappear. And I'm sitting behind no one. I'm expressing my opinion just as you expressed yours, and I encouraged others to express theirs.

Or is yours the only one allowed to be expressed because yours represents true enlightenment?

you are so quick to jump in on many threads, yet refused to share any thoughts in the 6000 posts on the G7, which is obviously the driving force behind the unhappiness with BD.

Perhaps you do not want to voice your opinion because you are hoping that you can write the liner notes for the G7 only DVD in 2011?

Scare tactics? lol

Wow.

yea... "someone should tell the council you posted your views on a public forum... that will show them!!!"

I didn't miss your point, but you missed the fact that while other drums corps survive without bingo because their operations are set up to do so, BD's operation years ago was set up to function on the proceeds from bingo. So, to say BD would be fine without bingo is making a large jump towards believing that other sources of income for the "A" corps and the myriad other ensembles serviced by the organization will materialize fast enough that the hit in bingo revenue won't be substantial.

applepie.jpg

If you run a business that depends on one source of funding, you need to diversify. As I said, BD already makes more money on souvies than almost every other corps (if not all of them).

and citizens taking part in the civic decision making process isn't a founding principle of our country?

it is. That's why I sent an email! :smile:

I acknowledged further up the thread that I would expect anyone to fight to protect their own interests.

Most communities recognize a need to balance the elements of their own community, and that includes refereeing questions that sometimes pit community service organizations or way of life questions vs the interests of private enterprise.

And the driving force behind the US is individual freedom and self-determined government - that government presumably empowered to pass laws and ordinances designed to protect common good in the face of corporate or individual aspiration. Look up the Declaration of Independence, and you'll find only two references among the long list of grievances that have anything to do with money (non-representative taxation and cutting off foreign markets), which argues against the founders as seeing "the pursuit of wealth" as the national raison d'etre :smile:

the reality is that either:

1. the new bingo is illegal. therefore it doesn't open.

-or-

2. the new bingo is legal, and should not be barred from operating freely under the law.

everyone else goes on tour each summer without bingo. And they are not even taking BD's bingo away.

Basically, Gibbs is arguing that the government should kick the other drum corps out of California because they are cutting into his consumer base. Only with bingo.

I have yet to read the rest of the thread, so I don't know if anyone has addressed this, but the BD organization goes far beyond the world class corps touring:

2 touring corps

1 youth corps

1 wind symphony

Winter Guard

Twirling Program

Numerous week long camps throughout the year run by BD Instructors for thousands of kids.

Lots of community events in Concord.

Yeah other corps do some of this, but not nearly to the extent the Blue Devils Organization does.

This is about an educational organization NOT a drum corps.

Blue Devils Performing Arts Mission Statement:

Music and the performing arts connect youth with their culture through a common language crossing generational, social, and racial barriers. The activities that a young person pursues influences the type of person he or she becomes. The experience that comes with participation in a performing arts organization builds discipline, character, pride, and self-confidence at a crucial age and forms the springboard to even greater achievements in adulthood

The BD Performing Arts programs permanently enrich the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence while providing enjoyment for our local community and audiences worldwide.

BLUE DEVILS PERFORMING ARTS /= Blue Devils A Corps.