Voting with our Pocketbook

Im with Fudd...sorry.. and Im an old fart..lol....to flip what you say , what makes you think the change wouldnt be good or a variation of it.. and yes i do agree it is arrogant to think what we did in the past is the only or proper way to do it. Sorry Granny and to compare anything from then to now is crazy ...different time , different place , different world

Much of the evidence you offer and much that I would offer would only be anecdotal. For example one person talked in another thread about sitting with people in the stands who were perplexed about what they were seeing. You talk to your friends and they couldn't be any more excited, while I talk to my friends and they...well, they don't talk about drum corps anymore. So...we're on level ground to some extent on this one. It's not arrogance, it's opinion.

So, we're left with attendance and dollars. Hence the reason for my original post. I asked the question if voting with your wallet really works and then made some arguments why I didn't think it did. Then...I get called an "old fart".

It would be interesting to see attendance figures throughout the years. Does anyone have those numbers anywhere? I don't. I know from my drum corps experience and the shows that I have gone to for many many years that attendance has dropped. Plain and simple. Now...I admit there are a host of arguments that would blunt this argument: such as the invention of the XBox, et. al., but I refer you again to my original post.

Go back and read my original post again and this time pretend I'm a luscious 20-year old blonde who has two cell phones (with all the trimmings), wearing a pair of $250 jeans, and totally discontent with any of it as I look for the newest fashion and gadgets. I'm all about change baby. Then, respond to my actual points.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the evidence you offer and much that I would offer would only be anecdotal. For example one person talked in another thread about sitting with people in the stands who were perplexed about what they were seeing. You talk to your friends and they couldn't be any more excited, while I talk to my friends and they...well, they don't talk about drum corps anymore. So...we're on level ground to some extent on this one. It's not arrogance, it's opinion.

So, we're left with attendance and dollars. Hence the reason for my original post. I asked the question if voting with your wallet really works and then made some arguments why I didn't think it did. Then...I get called an "old fart".

It would be interesting to see attendance figures throughout the years. Does anyone have those numbers anywhere? I don't. I know from my drum corps experience and the shows that I have gone to for many many years that attendance has dropped. Plain and simple. Now...I admit there are a host of arguments that would blunt this argument: such as the invention of the XBox, et. al., but I refer you again to my original post.

Go back and read my original post again and this time pretend I'm a luscious 20-year old blonde who has two cell phones (with all the trimmings), wearing a pair of $250 jeans, and totally discontent with any of it as I look for the newest fashion and gadgets. I'm all about change baby. Then, respond to my actual points.

Your friends should stop going to shows. If you make enough friends, eventually money will talk. Problem solved. :-)

Wasn't attendance part of the G7 concerns?

And agree if you want to talk loudest with your pocketbook, tell 'em why the money will be with held. With the economy the way it is enough money is not coming DCI (and other groups) way so impossible to tell why the money ain't there like before.

I agree with if you want to hurt you with hold money ..cant survive without it. BUT as I have said before the same people saying withhold money have their BUTTS in seats. As for comparing attendance #s I dont think it would prove anything. You..or whoever can say low attendance is because we arent entertained, others will say it the times and economy. you can go back and forth on that forever. As i said different times , different place , different everything. Hell I remember Sundays always had to be at the grandparents for dinner..tell a kid that now and they will laugh at ya. DIFFERENT TIMES>>>>>> noone seems to get that piece of it.

Truly lame shtick...

...with a truly lame response. Got any ideas of your own to share, or are you satisfied taking pot shots at someone who put a little thought into it and took the time to share it?

Personally, I think you can vote with your dollars to an extent. A couple of examples.

I recently sent back two mailings from two perennial championship corps. I wrote a note on each pre-paid return card telling them why I wasn't going to support them and asking to be removed from their mailing lists. In fact, I'm wondering how they got my address in the first place since neither my wife nor I have ever purchased anything from either of these corps in the past.

I do purchase items or donate to the corps I think do the kinds of shows I like, or that we are alumni.

Inspired by another thread, I recently wrote to the directors of all the non-G7 corps pledging support. Since these are the corps constantly affected by rampant rules changes, and being obligated to follow the examples set by the "leaders", I feel that supporting them through this attempted coup d'etat will give them the willpower to resist.

Including all the moaners here..they all have their tickets :tongue:

Not me.

as to the other poster who mentioned DCA. It will only be a matter of time as the more current designers, directors and younger members enter DCA ( as they Have ) it will change also. ( Usually about 10 years behind ) You can see just in the past few years the drastic age change.

Could that have anything to do with the price to do junior corps? The lack of Open Class or lower tier World Class corps to get some experience?

I do have a question though. With all the people who hate the props, story lines, junk on the field why do people like the antics and prop fiesta Empire always has....hmmmmm Just a thought.

Not me.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Truly lame shtick.

This from "Lord Denning" ?

I agree with if you want to hurt you with hold money ..cant survive without it. BUT as I have said before the same people saying withhold money have their BUTTS in seats.

That is because we LOVE the activity. That's why it's so hard to "boycott" to make a point. All us "old farts" who have more money than we could ever hope to spend (thank you reverse mortgages!) want the very best for the activity. We're not just a bunch of cranky has-beens who should go find our plot in the cemetery and wait.

Plus...I happen to believe that voting with our wallets doesn't work. Too many possible excuses could be made why my bony backside isn't in the seat (i.e. as was mentioned, the economy).

It's not working because not enough people are doing it. Despite the amount of complaining here on DCP, the 99% of the drum corps fandom still enjoys going to shows. If ENOUGH people stopped attending then it would work.

Just wondering what percentage of butts in the stands go because someone they know or is related to is in one of the corps. And after that person leaves the corps ***pffft*** those fans are gone too.

Just another moving target demographic that makes it harder to tell when people have spoken with wallets.

Just wondering what percentage of butts in the stands go because someone they know or is related to is in one of the corps. And after that person leaves the corps ***pffft*** those fans are gone too.

Just another moving target demographic that makes it harder to tell when people have spoken with wallets.

And when that individual ages out or discontinues involvement, someone will have to fill their spot. I'm willing to bet that for every family member that leaves with their child, another family is introduced to the activity. I agree that it makes it tougher but the point remains that regardless of the reason for showing up and enjoying a show, people are still showing up and enjoying a show. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are more family members in the stands who just really enjoy watching their child succeed (and maybe even enjoy the show for what it is) than individuals who would boycott drum corps for whatever reason.

Please note: if you decide to boycott drum corps, you need to stop consuming all drum corps related products. Don't give the DCI.org website hits. Don't give any individual corps website hits. Don't even give DCP hits. The problem is that VERY VERY VERY few individuals will completely give up drum corps in order to make a statement. So few, in fact, that their protest goes unheard. This is why Granny believes it doesn't work. It isn't that it doesn't work, it's that not enough people will EVER boycott DCI for it to make an impact.

Welcome to the lack of agency that is a single fan. Sorry to burst your bubble, DCP! :smile:

And when that individual ages out or discontinues involvement, someone will have to fill their spot. I'm willing to bet that for every family member that leaves with their child, another family is introduced to the activity. I agree that it makes it tougher but the point remains that regardless of the reason for showing up and enjoying a show, people are still showing up and enjoying a show. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are more family members in the stands who just really enjoy watching their child succeed (and maybe even enjoy the show for what it is) than individuals who would boycott drum corps for whatever reason.

Agree on the rotating fan base makes it tougher on DCI. IMO it also makes it scarey for DCI to survive long term in case of long term recession. Just #### sad that the DC world has regressed to mainly playing to family members or corps alumni. As a person with 50+ years experience once told me. "We just seem to be playing to each other anymore". I can remember shows in the 70s with a large percentage of people who came every year wiht no connection to any corps. When he started that percentage was even larger.

Please note: if you decide to boycott drum corps, you need to stop consuming all drum corps related products. Don't give the DCI.org website hits. Don't give any individual corps website hits. Don't even give DCP hits. The problem is that VERY VERY VERY few individuals will completely give up drum corps in order to make a statement. So few, in fact, that their protest goes unheard. This is why Granny believes it doesn't work. It isn't that it doesn't work, it's that not enough people will EVER boycott DCI for it to make an impact.

But let's not forget the former fans who are not doing a formal boycott. There are also people who just stopped watching DCI or Drum Corps in general because they are not entertained like in the past. The walking away from corps could come from changes in life situations but know of people who just wouldn't spend the bucks on shows anymore. Know of at least one that supports the marchers but hasn't seen a DCI show in any form for years. Their former seats and money are just as empty as a boycotter if not more.

Edited by JimF-LowBari