What were we thinking? Stuff that didn't quite work

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not there, so this is anecdotal and I do not recall the corps, so someone can confirm or deny this and if true, fill in the corps:

A senior corps in the late 70's / early 80's wanted to add a big 'punch' for finals so decided to release doves at the end of the show (maybe inspired by Suncoast's balloon release?). Problem.... doves roost at night - not fly. What they ended up with was a bunch of birds walking around the field.

jim

My vote is for the entire show concept of the 2008 Cadets.

Great corps ....Brass , percussion, and guard performed superbly, and were dragged down by the insipid, narration that was poorly written and badly perforned.

At least one good thing came from this. It may have killed the narration trend, and Cadets, as well as the whole activity is the better for it.

I was not there, so this is anecdotal and I do not recall the corps, so someone can confirm or deny this and if true, fill in the corps:

A senior corps in the late 70's / early 80's wanted to add a big 'punch' for finals so decided to release doves at the end of the show (maybe inspired by Suncoast's balloon release?). Problem.... doves roost at night - not fly. What they ended up with was a bunch of birds walking around the field.

jim

If this actually happened, I have a feeling that the doves sought to make a statement, such as, "How dare you capture and imprison us and then expect that we will be part of your performance." Anthropocentrism at an astounding level.

My vote is for the entire show concept of the 2008 Cadets.

Great corps ....Brass , percussion, and guard performed superbly, and were dragged down by the insipid, narration that was poorly written and badly perforned.

At least one good thing came from this. It may have killed the narration trend, and Cadets, as well as the whole activity is the better for it.

YOWZA!

Crossmen 2006 - midseason the first line in the radio piece was changed from "Q-102 eye in the sky traffic report is brought to you today by Hop's Tire and Auto" to "Q-102 eye in the sky traffic report is brought to you today by Hop's Woodwind Repair Shop." Unfortunately all those w consonants didn't come across too clearly at the speed we needed to say them and nobody ever seemed to get the joke so it was changed back.

jim

Similar story. Can't remember which DCI finals it was, I think it might have been '97 in Orlando.

As part of the opening ceremony they had some children carry doves onto the field to be released. The kids stood there for a bit and at the appropriate time tossed them in the air, releasing them. It went ok.... except for the one dove that died of fright and plopped dead on the field in front of a (probably scarred for life) little kid.

jim

I believe it was sky ryders. I seem to recall a tee shirt from them in the 80's that said birds don't fly at DCI. with a picture of the rainbow and some birds walking around.

I've got one thing to say.

1986 - closer - Puttin' on the Ritz - only lasted till mid season then was changed to a reprise of the end of the opener.

What was our staff thinking when they chose Puttin' on the Ritz as a closer.

I believe it was sky ryders. I seem to recall a tee shirt from them in the 80's that said birds don't fly at DCI. with a picture of the rainbow and some birds walking around.

True dat. Sky Ryders tried to release pigeons when they unfurled the rainbow at DCI in 1980, but they wouldn't go anywhere.