Which corps are not using low-end synth this year?

Here comes the teacher in me. Sorry. Even if the synths detract from the overall sound, they're still adding to it. Perhaps a better word than "add" would be "complement."

I've heard synths complement the horn sound, and I've certainly heard some distract from it.

I've always felt that if synthesizers are used properly, the use should be credited, and if used injudiciously and ultimately egregiously, the improper use should be knocked.

It wouldn't hurt if there was a sub-caption for "tasteful." :tongue:

A number of years ago, film composer Jerry Goldsmith (Patton, Hoosiers, etc...) was asked if he liked synths. His reply was , "They are unique instruments; and as long as they are not used to mimic existing instruments, but used to create quality sounds that no other instrument can create, I have no problem with their use in any environment". So, if the DCI rules allow their use, and as long as they are used in a qualitative manner and not used to mimic wind, string, or percussion instruments, I personally agree with Goldsmith's assessment.

Forte is not using synths at all. May or may not change by finals, but for now, they're 100% unplugged.

Heres my favorite synth moment of the year...

In the bluecoats show, they are using a little bit of low end synth in the ballad, and i thought, thats weird they have reallllly good contras, why would they do that? then at the hit, the tubas drop a fifth below teh bottom synth note :tongue: :tongue: :thumbup::tongue::ph34r: thats called tasteful synth ladies and gents.

first post blah blah blah ive been stalking to forums for a while and swore id never post lol. but i just think that part in coats show is so cool

Here comes the teacher in me. Sorry. Even if the synths detract from the overall sound, they're still adding to it. Perhaps a better word than "add" would be "complement."

I've heard synths complement the horn sound, and I've certainly heard some distract from it.

I've always felt that if synthesizers are used properly, the use should be credited, and if used injudiciously and ultimately egregiously, the improper use should be knocked.

"Complement," CRAP!!! Synthetic noise and electronics have brought drum corps to an all time low for me (no more donations). It has completely devalued the purity/sanctity of what Drum and Bugle Corps is...one of the last bastions of acoustic musical expression and movement, certainly one that is unique to itself making it all the more valued.

The majority draw to drum corps is the anticipation...the thrill of seeing and hearing a corps field a symphonic work in their own flawless interpretation using only brass, drums and dance. Synthesizers and other electronics on the field only dilute the interpretation, taking away corps individuality...essentially taking creativity out of the hands of the performer, who is fueled by emotion, and placing within the hands of a lifeless "black box" that not even Michael Cesario himself could spin the words enough to make it take flight.

Synthesizers and the use of other electronics on the field certainly should not be viewed as progress in drum corp. This medium is an arrogant attempt by a limited few (i.e. corps' directors and creative staff) who are trying to cater to the anticipated favor of the judging staff. In reality, they are taking the true emotion away. A single chord from a synthesizer completely alters the mood of a great work, whether in a concert hall or on a football field. What next, woodwinds and bass guitars? We already have "marching bands" for that. What corps wants to be compared to a marching band? Maybe the guard will be replaced with a laser light show? DCI is obviously headed in that direction.

Electronics need to go folks. I guarantee no one would ever miss them if they were never used again. Besides, the next grand champ (if crowd appeal were the sole judging criteria) could be an alumni corps from the Midwest, that's all drum and bugle corps is literally going to raise the roof...NO SYNTHS REQUIRED!!! I dare another "active" corps to do better.

Edited by Land_Surfer

Drum and Bugle Corps is...one of the last bastions of acoustic musical expression and movement ...

What about Symphonic Orchestras? What about Brass Choirs? What about Symphonic Bands? Or for heavens sake even what about Bluegrass? And I could keep going! Drum Corps is one of the last bastions of acoustic musical expression and movement; my foot!!!

...the thrill of seeing and hearing a corps field a symphonic work with the pure simplicity of brass and drums yielding in flawless interpretation.

The Drum Corps activity is not a "pure" art form unless every corps is performing original compositional material written specifically for that environment. . The only way SCV could be "pure" with the music of Bartok would be to use the real instrumentation (Violins, Violas, Cellos, Double Basses, Flutes, Piccolo, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons, F Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Tuba, Harp, Piano, Celesta, Timpani, and Concert Percussion; not Marching Brass and Marching Percussion)

Edited by Stu

Boston Crusaders are not using any.

Amen to that :tongue:

The problem is that there isn't anything on the sheets to credit or knock-down for improper use to my knowledge. And then the question is what is improper use anyway? Have the score sheets recently changed to properly reflect synthesizer usage?

Wasn't Boston one of the corps that voted against the Pre-Show proposal?

excerpt from Boston Crusaders News from their website:

The George Hopkins “pre-show” proposal received much discussion. Concern was expressed that if most corps decided to perform a pre-show, all corps would feel pressured to do the same. A number of variables were thrown out for additional discussion prior to the vote. The final proposal voted on was as written, with the exception that the proposed 18 minutes between corps was modified to 17 minutes. In short, the corps will be able to utilize that pre-show time however they may wish. Additionally, corps that do not wish to utilize the allotted pre-show time may choose to stay off the field until they are ready to begin their performance. The proposal passed, 20 for and 2 against.

The Crusaders were one of two corps to vote "No" to this proposal. While the need and practicality of an on-field warmup has changed with the times, and the Crusaders actually used some form of a pre-show in 2008 and 2009, some of the verbiage was concerning, including the possibility to use "any audio-visual material..." [N.B. The Crusaders also voted "No" to last year's electronics legalization.]

Edited by Liahona

I've already heard it, and it was outdoors...FWIW, it was Jersey Surf. :tongue:

You would think that with the patriotic nature of their program they would steer clear of such an egregious attack of the the bills of rights that our founders established. Whatever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of a pure brass sound.