State of drum corps manifesto

taking the kid's decision to march out of the equation renders them mindless automatons. I have a higher opinion of them than that, and see that as a flimsy defense of saying that what they're choosing to do sucks.

I marched with the Bluecoats because I wanted to be a Bluecoat.....when we played "Whiter Shade of Pale" in '91 (which was a bizarre choice) I had no choice. I was still marching that show, didn't really like that chart, but it was part of what we were doing. Ask any Bluecoats from '92 that performed the Beatles show. They didn't particularly believe in it or like it, but it was more about what they could acheive than anything else. The people that marched in '92 would say they got more out of that summer than any other, but everyone will tell them to this day, the show sucked. I'm still envious of everyone in the '92 'Coats.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a purely business standpoint, this is moronic. My whole rant is really more about how DCI has allowed its product to simply deteriorate. This has nothing to do with old timers or people yearning for the "good old days". I'm asking for a BETTER product, which the activity has not produced. When I look at the shows I marched in, I think they look dated but its still entertaining. I feel the same about the shows from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I don't think that kind of performances should still be done. The current formulaic approach to design is the problem. Its dictated to each corps how to be competitive and how to be creative, and there's nothing about the current design process that is unique.

Case in point.....6 or 7 corps on Wednesday evening before the announcer introduces the show. As if this is incredibly cool, or innovative. It reminds me of the staff at Applebee's coming out and singing a half hearted rendition of "Happy Birthday" to me as they slap a half melted sundae in front me. Thanks but, its just kind of stale.

DW

They will and they do every year. The BULK of the people that buy tickets and go to shows (you know like the one you put on last night) are band kids who are brought there by their directors. Mix in a few recent ageouts, several legacy fans (re: dinosaurs), and parents and friends of current marchers, you have a pretty good number of people.

The people that are always so dissatisfied with the current product are the ones who LONG for a "better day" when things were like they used to be. Eventually, you will reach your "last straw" and not come back. That's why I thanked the OP for his service and dedication and wished him well. .....but the bottom line, NOTHING is going to change.

Older fans will leave and newer fans will come in....and out of those THOUSANDS of bandos who are introduced to DCI every year, several will march and several others will become "lifelong" fans. ...and yes, most will just completely forget about DCI. This is the way it's always been.

I don't think anyone should MONITARILY support an activity in which they are not a fan of.....so if it has passed you by, I suggest a new activity to follow.

For the record...I no longer follow Formula 1 racing nor do I give a crap about the NBA...... why? because they passed me by..

Garfield I'm sorry to #### you off, but I suggest finding a more constructive way to channel your emotions. My opinions are hardly enough to get bent out of shape over.

93Bluecoat, I apologize for keeping this going.

You've been an awesome dci advocate for a long time. I haven't done half as much. I'm sure i'll be in your shoes as a fan soon enough, so I'll just stop. lol.

I'll share mine. Been active in corps for 50 years. Loved it in the 60's, still love it today. Loved movies in the 60's, still love them today. Think of the hits of the 60's in movies (things like Mary Poppins, etc.), and then of today's hits (Avatar). About as different as you can get, but most are what you call "formulaic". So was drum corps in the 60's (i.e, every corps did an OTL, color pres, into concert, concert, out of concert, production number, exit), so it is now. If you think everyone out there this year is the same, maybe it's time to just stop going. You obviously did not truly watch these shows with an open mind, so you can no longer truly enjoy the performances.

I know people in their 60's who go to Walt Disney World and have a miserable time, because all they see are the crowds, the lines, the candy wrapper on the ground, etc. I go to WDW and have a blast because I go with the open mind of a kid and enjoy everything it has to offer, even if it is the 25th trip.

Vanilla and chocolate. It's a great world, if you let it be so.

Don't put words into my mouth. I am a complete drum corps nerd, have loved the activity from EVERY era. Just because I disagree with the current trend in the activity doesn't make closed minded. It means I've seen a disturbing trend in the activity and reported on what I have seen from the fan base from across the country. I can recall fan reactions a mere 15 years ago and compare them to now. Its not even close....fans are apathetic about shows in 2010 compared to how they were in 1995.

There are aspects of each show that were good....Madison in particular showed a lot of potential, as did Bluecoats and Crown. I just don't think the show designs are worth the money anymore. Using your movie analogy....I think the movie industry doesn't produce enough quality movies to warrant a $10 ticket either.

DW

lots of people from the 70s and 80s would disagree with you there if you marched in 93. ....kind of like you disagree with people who call what goes on today genuinely drum corps. oddly cyclical, isn't it.

the people who didn't think you were marching "real drum corps" didn't have the internet at their disposal though.

So you simply pick 1993? This arguement has been around forever with many innovations (heck Garfield 83, 84, 89, Star 91, 93). Its not a generational issue. You asked if I looked back at my days and shook my head, I said no. What's your point? My original arguement is that we have LOST fans....FACT. Just read this single thread. DCI showed attendance increases from the early 80s all the way through the 90s.

I think we've gotten way off topic here. I was simply relaying several years worth of observations by fans (from all generations), alumni, staff, members, and parents.

To isolate my marching generation is short sited and really pointless....especially since my experience really spans from the 80s into the late 00's.

DW

You make it sound like people who audition for corps are mindlessly going into something that they have no understanding of, and that designers push something on them.

Fact: Many audition because they like the design of shows they've seen in the past several years. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if you're honest, you'll say that you joined your drum corps for the same reason. You saw it, you liked what you saw being designed and arranged, and you wanted to participate in it.

I got it right, thanks.

Wrong, auditions generally start in November and although there may a show concept announced, there's very little of anything else. They are definitely going in blind. They have to trust that the people writing the show will produce something genuinely innovative, creative, interesting, and exciting. DCI's current formula is an epic fail.

DW

You make it sound like people who audition for corps are mindlessly going into something that they have no understanding of, and that designers push something on them.

Fact: Many audition because they like the design of shows they've seen in the past several years. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if you're honest, you'll say that you joined your drum corps for the same reason. You saw it, you liked what you saw being designed and arranged, and you wanted to participate in it.

I got it right, thanks.

My son stood up in the stands and cried at the end of SCV's show last year - and he NEVER cries! Vanguard MOVED him and after that night in Walnut, CA he was determined to make the brass line.

Wrong, auditions generally start in November and although there may a show concept announced, there's very little of anything else. They are definitely going in blind. They have to trust that the people writing the show will produce something genuinely innovative, creative, interesting, and exciting.

Of course they do. Didn't you have to do the same?

Is some corps out there doing something radically different from what they did over the past couple of years where the kids who auditioned for them this year got something that came way out of left field to perform?

again, i give kids a little more credit about knowing the types of shows their favorite corps have tended to do and auditioning for them...just like you did when you wanted to be a Bluecoat.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the designs that you hate so much actually do ATTRACT kids to march corps nowadays, just like with you.

Wrong, auditions generally start in November and although there may a show concept announced, there's very little of anything else. They are definitely going in blind. They have to trust that the people writing the show will produce something genuinely innovative, creative, interesting, and exciting. DCI's current formula is an epic fail.

DW

Edited by Lightness

Darren,

I'm right there with you my friend. I had the exact same experience the other night in Riverside. The past couple years have been a roller coaster, but the activity is evolving, for better or worse, and is what it is. As an alum I'm both saddened and worried. I see fan support dropping, shows getting too expensive, and people losing interest because of the loss in entertainment value they are getting for their dollar. The young kids still don't understand that money doesn't grow on trees. But alas, I don't know if there is a way to fix it, or if it can be saved at this point. Thanks for a great post.

J