Attending my first DCI event on the 22nd!

I know, but the OP wouldn't necessarily know that since they're "new" and also Forte seems to have a completely different staff than Memphis Sound.

i would hope that most people saw the op for what it really was. i'm proud of dcp for not taking the bait.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was afraid everybody would start posting some angry comments as I was writing this thread which is why I tried to sound as nice as possible.

And towards the people saying I wouldn't know if I would like certain corps since I've never been to a show. I've been watching DCI on the internet for a couple years (I know it's not the same as a live show but still) and have been a member of the fan network on DCI.org so I've seen plenty of corps performances over the internet. So IMHO I think I've had enough "viewing experience" to decide which corps I prefer. I'm really not a very picky person when it comes to DCI but I just don't seem to enjoy certain shows.

There is absolutely nothing that can replace a LIVE IN PERSON EVENT...Enjoy any of the shows you want...its your preference and should not be for anyone else here to judge what you want!

i would hope that most people saw the op for what it really was. i'm proud of dcp for not taking the bait.

Lance...you've got a different hymn missal than the one I've apparently got.

Can you explain this parable of what it is the OP's comments should be seen " for what it really was "... and for " not taking the bait ". This poor soul is lost on what you're reading here from the OP's comments. Care to elaborate ?

Edited by BRASSO

Lance...you've got a different hymn missal than the one I've apparently got.

Can you explain this parable of what it is the OP's comments should be seen " for what it really was "... and for " not taking the bait ". This poor soul is lost on what you're reading here from the OP's comments. Care to elaborate ?

I'm not Lance -- obviously -- but I can see where the problem lies (in the bolded text):

So I'm attending a DCI event on July 22nd in Dallas Texas and this is my very first time.

But I actually have a question. I noticed the first 2 corps playing would be "Forte" and "Teal Sound" and not to sound rude or anything but I don't care too much for them. I was just wondering what the policy on arriving late to a DCI event is so you don't have to wait for the corps you care about to start performing.

Thanks in advanced :D

Now, I have no idea why the OP doesn't like Forte or Teal Sound, but one has to wonder if it's because they are deemed "lesser" corps on the DCI competitive scale. That is a mentality that has had legs for quite some time now. Of course, people are free to come and go as they please; most everyone has his or her "hot dog" corps . . . though, having marched in a corps that went through its own "hot dog" years (what folks cheerfully told me, to my face, were "the down years"), I know what that's like, and so I choose to stay and watch them all, and applaud them all.

Also, as a spectator, I gotta tell you that the late arrivals make things . . . eh, not so fun. Better to come late than not at all, sure, but it is disruptive. Not sure that DCI has an "official" policy on this, but common courtesy would tell most folks to get there on time, get to their seats and stay there till intermission. If you don't like a particular corps, then go get a hot dog, some nachos, whatever.

I've only been to a couple of shows in person and I know I like to see the whole show. I dont like to miss any corp. I'll bet if you do miss one or two, you will wish you had seen them. I missed Teals performance in Bowling Green, Oh. due to traffic. I knew I was cutting it close and got there just a few minutes to late. I actually saw some of the performance from the lot. But it sucked.

So all I say is even if a couple of corp are not your favorites, if at all possable, try to see them. I think you will be glad you did.

I would be really interested in reading your comments regarding your experience of seeing a live DCi show for the first time. Please post if you are so inclined. There really is nothing like your first time!

I'm not Lance -- obviously -- but I can see where the problem lies (in the bolded text):

Now, I have no idea why the OP doesn't like Forte or Teal Sound, but one has to wonder if it's because they are deemed "lesser" corps on the DCI competitive scale. That is a mentality that has had legs for quite some time now. Of course, people are free to come and go as they please; most everyone has his or her "hot dog" corps . . . though, having marched in a corps that went through its own "hot dog" years (what folks cheerfully told me, to my face, were "the down years"), I know what that's like, and so I choose to stay and watch them all, and applaud them all.

Also, as a spectator, I gotta tell you that the late arrivals make things . . . eh, not so fun. Better to come late than not at all, sure, but it is disruptive. Not sure that DCI has an "official" policy on this, but common courtesy would tell most folks to get there on time, get to their seats and stay there till intermission. If you don't like a particular corps, then go get a hot dog, some nachos, whatever.

The OP said in hs follow up comments, he's seen some Corps via Fan Network, and they did not interest him. I wish he'd give the early Corps the benefit of the doubt and go see them live. But he's certainly not alone in not watching these Corps, nor having interest in them which I agree is kind of sad. But he's willing to watch 10 out of 12 Corps on his first live exposure to Drum Corps, so I 'd cut him some slack here.

Besides, when was the last time we've had a DCP discussion on the 2010 Forte Show ? When they take the field fo competition on the 22nd, how many people will be in the stands to watch them, compared with the numbers that'll watch the Cavaliers, BD, Cadets and the others this nite ?

So he's not alone by any stretch to not be wanting to watch some of these other Corps. For what it's worth, I 'd sit for Teal Sound, but go get a hot dog when some of the much higher placing Corps come on that I've seen and heard live this year but that do nothing for me. But he's entitled to watch what he wants too, and skip the others. It's his ticket. He's paid for it. And wanting to watch 10 out of 12 isn't all that bad for a first timer, imo..... I'm just glad he's going, period.

Edited by BRASSO

Awesome have a good time. Don't worry about people getting angry, you're still paying for the ticket it doesn't really matter. I personally like to see all the corps just to compare or see every show that I can live but other people like to spend time in the lot or have a drive and can't leave early enough.

I would be really interested in reading your comments regarding your experience of seeing a live DCi show for the first time. Please post if you are so inclined. There really is nothing like your first time!

Sure, I didn't realize that people would actually be interested in my experience at the event. I'll probably just post it in this thread as opposed to making a new one so just watch for it on the 22nd or 23rd :)

Also, Thank you BRASSO :D

P.S- To the people who think that I don't want to watch Teal Sound or Forte just because they have been "deemed" a lower corps, you should see the corps I AM watching first. more specifically Pioneer who currently is ranked below Teal Sound. Last time I checked the scores that is.

Edited by Lawlz

P.S- To the people who think that I don't want to watch Teal Sound or Forte just because they have been "deemed" a lower corps, you should see the corps I AM watching first. more specifically Pioneer who currently is ranked below Teal Sound. Last time I checked the scores that is.

I would take the advice posted earlier and watch all the corps, regardless of what you may think you know from video. It's true: Video pretty much fails to capture the real essence of any corps' performance. There's just nothing like live. The corps you think you don't like just might surprise you. It's worth the chance, I think. Instead of missing out, you just might discover some new favorites.