G7 Thoughts/Alternatives

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, this does make some marketing sense. In retail, some companies create draw for the store, and are definitely given preferential treatment. For instance, a High Def TV is a fairly high priced item with fairly low profit margins. But it pulls a lot of other sales, like cables, stands, and other electronic equipment. So, those companies and brands do get preferential treatment. Classification is a way to assist in the best way to spend marketing dollars. But, just as Sony does not advertise for Best Buy, don't expect individual corps to advertise for shows. More fairly stated, the marketing and outreach campaigns for DCI need to be revamped to put more butts in seats. My input, if allowed, would be to advertise the event as a contest and performance of the best marching on the planet. Then each corp would be called out, and the only preferential treatment would be stating the top 3 as champion, 2nd place and 3rd place... And possibly the order of articulation.

This paragraph is interesting for a couple of reasons.

First, importantly, DCI is not a retail, or purely capitalist, system. I've been stewing on an idea of selling "shares" for contributions to DCI. But, although I've been pondering for over a month, I can't get the system to work on paper.

Comparing DCI to any capitalist model is folly, IMO. Yes, there are traits that the non-profit world borrows from the for-profit world, but intrinsically, the two systems do not mesh, or well enough, anyway, to make a valid comparison.

The capitalist model tears competition to pieces. It's its nature. DCI is a "brotherhood", a "collaboration", at least a sharing of resources. The retail Sony/Best Buy comparison is not valid, IMO.

(I'm still working on the "shares" idea).

Secondarily, you mention DCI's marketing methods, but what you suggest ("...the best marching on the planet.") is exactly what DCI's done with "Major League". Except for the sports analogy, it is meant to identify the top of the activity. That plan hasn't been stellar but it's relatively young. There may be identifiable benefit that has come from using that marketing slogan.

DCI is also the ones who decided that the legacy fan was not where they were putting their advertising money, it was bands. That comes right from the director of marketing himself in an e - mail to a friend of mine. So these powers to be are all not that innocent either in DCI..they are for sure scrambling for their jobs with all this new stuff coming up.

I don't see this as evidence, and the supposed email is directly contradictory to the 5-year plan DCI produced last fall, which clearly states the importance of the Legacy fans and attempts a plan that includes them as well as new fans.

There may, in fact, be some email proving that the existing DCI organizations has thrown Legacy fans off the bus. If it's out there, the results will become known in how DCI acts. Preliminarily the 5-year plan does not support that existance.

This may sound harsh, but I challenge anyone to show that the DCI organization (Dan A.'s office) has failed in it's primary roles. IMO, from an objective standpoint I can't make that conclusion. Therefor, to me, it's worth defending the organization from criticism that is a significant part of the G6's contentions.

No, I don't agree with everything DCI has done, and I'm certainly not an apologist (not my style). But the slippery road to finding fault and victims should not include indicting the organization without verifiable proof of mismanagement.

Edited by garfield

DCI is a "brotherhood", a "collaboration", at least a sharing of resources.

According to the DCI mission statement and bylaws: Yes it is a brotherhood.

According to the corps' involved in DCI mission statements and bylaws: Yes it is a brotherhood.

According to Hopkins, Gibbs, and the other cabal in the G7: It is a brotherhood only in an Orwellian manner where all are equal, but some are really non existent (OC) and some are more equal than others (G7).

I don't see this as evidence, and the supposed email is directly contradictory to the 5-year plan DCI produced last fall, which clearly states the importance of the Legacy fans and attempts a plan that includes them as well as new fans.

There may, in fact, be some email proving that the existing DCI organizations has thrown Legacy fans off the bus. If it's out there, the results will become known in how DCI acts. Preliminarily the 5-year plan does not support that its existance.

This may sound harsh, but I challenge anyone to show that the DCI organization (Dan A.'s office) has failed in it's primary roles. IMO, from an objective standpoint I can't make that conclusion. Therefor, to me, it's worth defending the organization from criticism that is a significant part of the G6's contentions.

No, I don't agree with everything DCI has done, and I'm certainly not an apologist (not my style). But the slippery road to finding fault and victims should not include indicting the organization without verifiable proof of mismanagement.

Of course it's in contrast to a 5 year plan NOW or statements made NOW....they are clawing for their own exsistance. AGAIN I am not agreeing with the G7 and I have very close contacts to one of them and have debated this over and over with them for a few months now but lets get real ,the DCI office is no better nor has been. The letter actually said we do appreciate the legacy fan but our marketing dollars must go to the band programs. We feel that there lies the future of our activity. Believe it or not, it really doesnt matter. Lets just hope that in the long run lets just hope the fragile activity survies at all. That I'm sure we all can agree on.

As far as an audiance deciding what GE is as another poster said or audiance deciding, I think what I posted earlier seems to be the way , leave the stands when you don't like a corps. Send a message that way. It's the only way , trust me on that.

DCI is also the ones who decided that the legacy fan was not where they were putting their advertising money, it was bands. That comes right from the director of marketing himself in an e - mail to a friend of mine. So these powers to be are all not that innocent either in DCI..they are for sure scrambling for their jobs with all this new stuff coming up.

Furthermore, what is "marketing" to Legacy fans? I'm a Legacy fan and DCI has never marketed to me. By definition a "Legacy" fan is one who already knows about the activity and doesn't need to be drawn in. Sure, there are Legacy fans who have left that DCI should like to get back, but that's the simplest marketing plan in the world! (Just advertise Madison's show this year!)

The NEW fan is the tough one.

Frankly, I'm OK with the idea of marketing to the NEW fan and not the Legacy fan. Instead, the Legacy fan needs to be treated well logistically and financially, and entertained when he gets to the stadium. Give us good food, comfy seats, reasonable prices, and ENTERTAINING competition and we'll keep coming back.

Give us crappy acoustics, long lines, expensive hotdogs, and an attitude that we're too stupid to understand what we like, and we'll stop coming for sure.

The NEW fan hasn't got a clue of such things. The NEW fan is the one who needs to be wowed and entertained by the show and the competition. The NEW fan need to be shown the history of the activity. The NEW fan needs to be vested in the music, the SONGS, so he can relate to what he hears. The NEW fan needs to understand WHY the competition between the top 5 is so much fun. The NEW fan needs to know about DCI.org and DCP.

The Legacy fan doesn't need any of this. Just post the schedule, have lots of shows, and keep the prices reasonable.

If DCI wants to cater to Legacy fans, they should do it through the Friends program. These are the fans who pony up more than ticket prices and deserve a free breakfast and some good seats.

But spend the marketing budget on the NEW fans, even if this is "just" the thousands of marching band programs around the country.

Furthermore, what is "marketing" to Legacy fans? I'm a Legacy fan and DCI has never marketed to me. By definition a "Legacy" fan is one who already knows about the activity and doesn't need to be drawn in. Sure, there are Legacy fans who have left that DCI should like to get back, but that's the simplest marketing plan in the world! (Just advertise Madison's show this year!)

The NEW fan is the tough one.

Frankly, I'm OK with the idea of marketing to the NEW fan and not the Legacy fan. Instead, the Legacy fan needs to be treated well logistically and financially, and entertained when he gets to the stadium. Give us good food, comfy seats, reasonable prices, and ENTERTAINING competition and we'll keep coming back.

Give us crappy acoustics, long lines, expensive hotdogs, and an attitude that we're too stupid to understand what we like, and we'll stop coming for sure.

The NEW fan hasn't got a clue of such things. The NEW fan is the one who needs to be wowed and entertained by the show and the competition. The NEW fan need to be shown the history of the activity. The NEW fan needs to be vested in the music, the SONGS, so he can relate to what he hears. The NEW fan needs to understand WHY the competition between the top 5 is so much fun. The NEW fan needs to know about DCI.org and DCP.

The Legacy fan doesn't need any of this. Just post the schedule, have lots of shows, and keep the prices reasonable.

If DCI wants to cater to Legacy fans, they should do it through the Friends program. These are the fans who pony up more than ticket prices and deserve a free breakfast and some good seats.

But spend the marketing budget on the NEW fans, even if this is "just" the thousands of marching band programs around the country.

DCP is 1 thing the new fan or kids don't need to know about , sorry. Ok so lets say I agree with your analogy of what the new fan needs to know or learn. I will ask once again , after all that what if the new fan still wants all the advancements of todays drum corps. Just putting that question out there.

DCP is 1 thing the new fan or kids don't need to know about , sorry. Ok so lets say I agree with your analogy of what the new fan needs to know or learn. I will ask once again , after all that what if the new fan still wants all the advancements of todays drum corps. Just putting that question out there.

I find it very difficult to believe that if there were a clear separation between DC and MB, and the HS kids got to make a choice, that they'd choose the something that looks like their marching band. After all, wouldn't it just be summer marching band? Who would go through what we ask of them just to look like MB on steroids?

I'd be all for a survey to find this specific answer. I, personally, think it would be the nail in the coffin of the G6 proposal and idea.

Could very well set DCI back on a path to "unique", "special", "exciting", "different". You know, all those things that got us interested to begin with.

Human nature doesn't change, even if DG/GH say otherwise.

ASK THEM!

And if they want hyped-up marching band then I'll resign myself to my study to watch DVDs and spend my money on a different hobby.

But that's a bet I'd jump to take...

I will get creamed for this, but I do find drum corp as a primarily american activity. I am very well traveled and outside of the occasional DCI tour, there a few, if any, shows and contests. Having stated that, music is universal. But DCI is pretty much american. Just look at the membership as the large majority of them are US based.

Further, drum corps has military roots. American military roots. Colors on the field, 8-to-5, parades.

Ten years ago GH claimed that Rosie O'Donnell convinced him that downplaying the military by eliminating rifles was the direction of the activity. Today his corps salutes corps vets who are military vets. Strange, isn't it?

I agree 100% that the military heritage of the activity should be celebrated as part of the activity's roots, colors should be brought back (who ELSE does this?? You want "unique", there's one!), and military vets should be honored at every show and as part of the activity.

In fact, I think PR should do the 1812 with REAL cannons! Those will shake some sense into Rosie!

I think the separation between DCI as an American activity and the rest of the world is perfectly fine. If it can be shown that "drum corps", as we know it, started in America then I see nothing wrong with using that fact as a marketing pitch.

The more patriotic, American, and apple pie we can make the activity, the better it will be, IMO.

The next part of the G7 document deals with governance. It basically gives the G7 corps all the control. Its just not right.

Too strong a statement. Rather, it doubles the top 7 or 8 performing corps influence. Just about any large group that votes as a block will have more control as well, but this allows their votes to count double. I don't believe in democracy as a way to run a business.

I think this, again, falls back to a capitalist/non-profit comparison. I agree with you about business, but I disagree with you when it comes to THIS non-profit. The original members of the combine had the perfect opportunity to secure this voting edge for themselves and they didn't take it. That should be all we need to know.

The lifeblood of arts, in general, and certainly this activity in particular is one of a "brotherhood", where the strong care for the weak because making the weak strong makes the activity strong. In business killing off the weak is creative destruction and is very healthy. The approach simply doesn't work with arts non-profits in general, and drum corps in specific.