Who's next?

Who's next to break through? Boston spent years ending their season on Friday night before becoming a consistent finalist. Blue Stars were competitive in the early DCI days, had success in Div 2/3 the came back to Div !/WC and are again a finalist. So, who is on the track with the right staff, patience, philosophy in place to crack the top 12 in the next couple of years and stay?

Who's next to break through? Boston spent years ending their season on Friday night before becoming a consistent finalist. Blue Stars were competitive in the early DCI days, had success in Div 2/3 the came back to Div !/WC and are again a finalist. So, who is on the track with the right staff, patience, philosophy in place to crack the top 12 in the next couple of years and stay?

I think it might be a question of who can become "elite" and stay there. Crown probably has an invite to that club now. There seems to be a lot of tough competition for the #12 slot in any gven year, so anyone in that lower tier cannot become a consistent finalist without somehow moving up the ranks. I don't see anyone on a real rise. The Colts have been stagnant in 13-14 for how long? The Troopers don't seem to be on the verge of a meteoric rise either.

I grew up and marched in the Boston area in the 60's and 70's, lovin the Scouts, Troopers, and 27th! At this point I'd say the MadMen of Madison are a lock in final 12. The memories their show stirs up for me are simply Corps Nirvana

However, as a Transplant to Arizona, I'd say it's the Glassmen who just might get their panes rattled by The Academy in the quest for finals. "Strangers In Paradise" takes the World Class entry from Arizona to a whole new level of competition.

Just as in 2006, when they took the Division II Championship, in 2010, they have all the elements in place: The staff, the show concept, the music, the drill along with a seasoned percussion, brass and guard ensemble AND A BIG PLUS, the show design and the maturity, average age 19, for a breakout season. They can feel it, taste it, and their hearts and souls are immersed in it. They believe in themselves and their show and I believe in them.

Go Academy....Enjoy!

I think Arizona might be ready to make a statement, but if Madison gets back in (and I think that's pretty certain) we may see the same 12 for a couple of years.

this

I honestly think the top 12 is no longer the hunt in DCI. Much as we put a lot of stock in that magical number 12, I think we've come to a place in DCI where being in the top half of the pack is not as powerful as being in the top quarter. While I do NOT - let me say that again, I DO NOT - want to see finals changed to a top 10 or top 8 or top 6 competition, I do think the reality is that there is a clear artistic division between the top 3, 4, 5 or 6 shows and the next grouping. This year in particular I see and hear clear groupings of top 7 (eek, there's THAT number - run away!), then 8-15ish, etc.

So, to answer the question: Madison is obviously aiming for finalist status staying power... and so is everyone else in the same tier. People are putting Troop in 13-16th place in predictions, and that's cool. We'll see how it plays out. Others are questioning if Colts and Glassmen's can earn, or keep, their position in top 12 as well. It's pretty much wide open in the 10th-15th spots. I think what really matters is doing what BK is doing, and what BS have done, and what Crown has done. I think Madison wants to be next in that roster... and again so does everyone else in their tier.

Who has the staff, patience, etc. to really do it? That's a tough call because we don't know who is going to stay with these corps, who is going to go, and who will really find the magic combination to make it work in the long run. And then there's the wild card: recruitment. Having great staff doesn't always mean having the right talent combination at your auditions. It helps, but recruitment is always a HUGE wild card in the lower finals tier through OC.