UCO Central Grill

Wow. We've actually agreed again. Things must be changing in the world. But I am super psyched to see how everything plays out come Finals week. I've been waiting for a knock-down, drag-out fight all season. I really see it coming down to BD, Cadets, and Bluecoats at the top.

You two agreeing...people talking about a show without belittling it (or the designers...or theother posters)...no flame war yet after how many pages...I had to check the address bar and make sure I had the right place...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem people are having with BD and their music, is that it is different. its as Plan9 said in the review thread "complex jazz". and its something that you can't hum. Its not like Copland, or mahler. Its something different, and I guess people don't like change

Eh, it's not that really. I'm a huge fan of Kenton's work, always have been, but I just can't get into it. Part of it I think is the arrangements, because I have gone through the City of Glass album many times, trying to understand it so I can get into BD's show more, but it's just not doing it for me still.

And if we're looking for shows that are different and making people uncomfortable about change, I think it would be SCV's show. Bartok is some strange music, and that one makes people uncomfortable.

Read post #81 and be thankful that the gods on Mt Diablo are smiling on you. Now Good night you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England! :laughing:

okay, that all I have to say.. I'm out of thoughts..now off to go find the rest of face that is still stuck to the stadium wall

You two agreeing...people talking about a show without belittling it (or the designers...or theother posters)...no flame war yet after how many pages...I had to check the address bar and make sure I had the right place...

I'm still not sure I'm in the right place. We're all having an intelligent discussion, and no one is flaming each other..... Maybe things have changed. I think we should all take this moment, and remember this thread, because I really doubt we will have a civil talk like this again, sadly.

yeah I noticed that too, are we in Bazzaro world or something

just got back from the show. great night for everyone!!! the only shows i got to see were blue stars, phantom and blue devils. i loved all 3 shows!! blue devils are really clean visually! phantom was so beautiful!! loved it. i really like blue stars theme, and those baritones?!?! sheesus! haha they were loud! blue devils win drums? ehh thats here nor there. i know i HEARD the real winner of drums tonight.

only downside of the night: a BD alum was sitting right next to me and didnt give anyone a standing ovation except BD (at least while i was sitting next to him). thought that was pretty lame.....

next stop, DALLAS! WOO!

And if we're looking for shows that are different and making people uncomfortable about change, I think it would be SCV's show. Bartok is some strange music, and that one makes people uncomfortable.

Funny, there are some parts of the SCV show I really like. Others, are a bit strange. However, I think that after I listen to this show for awhile on the iPod, it will definitely grow on me. Some things just take more time than others. Sorry I'll miss finals this year. (Not sorry about missing Indianapolis...again....and again...and again).

Funny, there are some parts of the SCV show I really like. Others, are a bit strange. However, I think that after I listen to this show for awhile on the iPod, it will definitely grow on me. Some things just take more time than others. Sorry I'll miss finals this year. (Not sorry about missing Indianapolis...again....and again...and again).

Same thing here with me. Really bummed I'm missing finals, but when it comes down to trip to finals, or rent money, having a place to live will win that fight. And ditto on SCV's show. I love the show overall, but a couple of the musical moments seem a little bit strange to me. Love the ending though.

I think the problem people are having with BD and their music, is that it is different. its as Plan9 said in the review thread "complex jazz". and its something that you can't hum. Its not like Copland, or mahler. Its something different, and I guess people don't like change

I have to say I don't really think this is the case.

It isn't really "complex jazz" at all. I've heard BD play charts and arrangements like this before. And trust me, I know Kenton. I went to UNT for goodness sake, we named a *performance* hall after the man! Love his charts, but not these arrangements. They lose a lot in the transition for me.

Now, visually? The show is excellent. Very, very well coordinated and very well performed. And I think the captions are bearing me out here. BD's weakest caption all season has been Music GE, bar none. And in general, they are scoring higher in all the visual captions than the music ones (the only exception to this is Percussion, where they have been dominating a lot of the time).

If any corps is going to catch them, it will need to be via the music captions, because frankly, I don't see BD losing a single visual caption from here on out.