Change the show schedules

No, I will spend 15 minutes looking at souvies and a lot of time watching several corps rehearse in the lot. You presume much. I don't think you have a clue what keeps parity out of DCI. It certainly is not what you suggest.

I pay the same $ for my ticket that you do. You clearly assume that while I am in the lot I care only to watch the premiere corps (you would be wrong). Most years I help with some sponsor money for a couple of kids and I choose a kid in a small local corps and usually one in SCV. Your first reply implied that I am so giddy to see my favorite corps that the reason I am in the lot is that I must have some odd fascination with a corps. Again, you would be wrong. I spent seven years in drum corps (you?) and I enjoy the preshow world for a lot of reasons you clearly would not get. I watch hornlines, I watch drumlines, I talk to other fans, other FMMs and have a good time. I get one or two chances to view a drum corps show and I do what I enjoy.

You so dramatically overstate the "problem" of less butts in the stand that it is ridiculous.

:laughing: <---back at you.

I think it is a well intentioned idea, but I don't like it. I want to spend a bunch of time in the lot and buying souvies because I love doing so, and then go spend a bunch of time watching the best corps. While I would agree that there are generally smaller crowds in the stands for the smaller corps, I just don't see it being the big problem that folks make it out to be. I also don't see it as a slight on the kids. It is just a reality, not a problem that needs fixing.

I dont assume anything. It's what YOU said. No need to attempt the double-talk.

You so dramatically dont get the "problem" that it is sad. :thumbup:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I keep reading this topic, another thought just came to mind. Part of the issue (and I don't know how much, but am convinced that at least part of it) is just how our society is today. People try to cram too much into their daily schedule. I'm sure there are many people that show up late because they had to go to little Johnny's swim meet before they could go see Suzie perform with her corps. Then you have the people that are trying to drive a couple of hours after work to make it to the show and just don't get there by start time due to traffic, or the shear distance they are traveling.

This isn't all related to drum corps either. Go to a major league baseball game and look at how many people don't show up until the 3rd inning. Heck, even at Wisconsin football games the stadium won't usually fill up until the 1st quarter is almost over.

So, again, not saying that there are not people that do not want to sit through the smaller corps because we all know there are, but there are other factors that do come in to play as why people show up late.

If all the "big boys" were on first you would just see a mass exodus when they were done and the smaller corps came on the field. You can't mix up the entire line up, big corps, little corps, big corps etc because it would force the judges to actually judge on the performance rather than just increasing their score for each corps as the night goes on.

I disagree. You would see some leave to get a coke. But more would stay. Everyone wants to see the scores. And that is a good thing. More people would actually see the corps they think suck. I think it would help GE at the least.

Edited by Jimisback

I disagree. You would see some leave to get a coke. But more would stay. Everyone wants to see the scores. And that is a good thing. More people would actually see the corps they think suck. I think it would help GE at the least.

No real finale anymore, no need to stay for scores. You can get scores on your phone on the way home.

I dont really need to know anything about your background but if you were one of those kids in the lot, then you were also one of this kids on the field....and you realize how different it feels to perform in front of an audience rather than do a run through of your show for 10-15 staff members.

But either way thats not even the biggest thing that bothers me. The fact that someone would rather mosey around, looking at cds and t-shirts rather than support a kid who has spent a lot of money and effort to be part of this activity and keep it going....thats what "perplexes me".

You admit that you could care less about the majority of DCI and you only want to see the best corps. That attitude is part of the reason what keeps parity (both competitively and financially) out of DCI. :laughing:

Chill dude. Hes a paying customer and he has the right to do what he wants, and theres no reason to judge him, Going in the lot, buying souveniers, all part of the game.....

I dont even know what angle to take at your rude, childish behaviour in your response. Lighten up and enjoy drum corps the way you want..and let others do the same !

G

Chill dude. Hes a paying customer and he has the right to do what he wants, and theres no reason to judge him, Going in the lot, buying souveniers, all part of the game.....

I dont even know what angle to take at your rude, childish behaviour in your response. Lighten up and enjoy drum corps the way you want..and let others do the same !

G

Then dont take any angle. Take your own advice and chill.

And I'll take your advice enjoy drum corps the way I want...that is, by letting the kids who arent in "the best corps" know that I appreciate the work they do and that I'm glad their participation gives an activity to debate over.

As I keep reading this topic, another thought just came to mind. Part of the issue (and I don't know how much, but am convinced that at least part of it) is just how our society is today. People try to cram too much into their daily schedule. I'm sure there are many people that show up late because they had to go to little Johnny's swim meet before they could go see Suzie perform with her corps. Then you have the people that are trying to drive a couple of hours after work to make it to the show and just don't get there by start time due to traffic, or the shear distance they are traveling.

This isn't all related to drum corps either. Go to a major league baseball game and look at how many people don't show up until the 3rd inning. Heck, even at Wisconsin football games the stadium won't usually fill up until the 1st quarter is almost over.

So, again, not saying that there are not people that do not want to sit through the smaller corps because we all know there are, but there are other factors that do come in to play as why people show up late.

and worse...people just care about big names

When I go to drumcorp shows I see everyone (open class) and clap for every corp. I just hate it when people come in the stands for the last 3 or 4 super corps. I've been to some shows where people are allowed to seat when a corp is performing disrupting my viewing. There!!!