The Percussion Discussion

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so Lawrence, top3, in order of performance:

Buccs - Solid as always. Still the same dirt though. It seems as if they aren't progressing the way a Buccs line should. Having said that... it's still July! I guess Buccs are just held to a higher standard... in mind at least (which isn't always a safe place). Regardless, they were still the best percussion section of the night but not by much.

Cabs - Looks like they added some people, so I don't think it would be fair to call out "dirt" here. Great front ensemble performance, they are VERY solid. Still looks to me like the battery book is over their heads. At some points it looks like there are way too many notes... but when they hit those notes? Wow!

Hurcs - They really are running their butts all over that field. From up top, they were probably the "cleanest" section of the night... but from up top you could hear quite a few tears. Front ensemble had a rough outing, but I've seen them before to know they can be better.

The placements from 1-3 were Buccs, Hurcs, Cabs. Can't really argue that. Take away the "dirt" that Cabs had from adding new people and the ensemble issues Hurcs usually don't have and I think it's quite a competition!

your comments are interesting about the dirt you saw in Bucs' line and how you had them in front of Hurcs by not too much. the recap is interesting - the tighter subcaptions were technique for field perc and performance for ens perc -- only 1 point each. the larger gaps were for musicianship and musicality. So it seems the judges agreed with your comparison.

Before I go annnnny further, my son is a Hurricane, but he plays Trumpet. And I am a drum corps nut from way back, but not a drummer.

So, now that I have had the chance to see Bucs, Hurcs and Cabs a few times this year, I think the Hurcs line is the best. Bucs are very good all around, but there is just something about the Hurcs line that gets me pumped. Both the Bucs and Hurcs are terrific lines, but the Hurcs have the edged as far as I am concerned.

I too feel the Grenadiers line was just flat fantastic! Smaller line, but those guys could just play baby!

Thanks for listening!

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

I have... but we will have to wait.

Waiting for?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in the opinion that the Hurcs are the dark horse for this year. They play as many notes as Bucs, but when I've seen them-a little cleaner than the champs. Bucs snareline in particular is not as clean as it has been in past seasons. Still, we've got a bit to go. It's going to be an interesting push.

It would be more believable if any of the posters that think Hurcs are gonna take Bucs in percussion didn't also seem to REALLY want to see this happen. Wishful thinking aside, I saw both the Bridgeport and Lawrence shows, and IMHO the Bucs have the program and performance by a noticable margin. Maybe not as much of a runaway as previous years, but I think that is because a couple of other lines have gotten better, Hurcs and Cabs included.

Ya gotta pay attention to what's being played and not just the occaisonal "dirt" tha you might hear once in awhile. And, c'mon, does anyone even come close in front ensemble?