The Percussion Discussion

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever think that maybe It wasn't Ed but Thurston that was off that night.Thurston being around along time might just be "PLAYING THE GAME" DCA expects. :lol:

Absolutely not, That would be too logical.

That still doesn't explain the 0.1 difference between Fusion Core and Statesmen. A top 3 open class corps and an A class not so strong percussion section. That is purely bad numbers management.

Anyone ever think that maybe It wasn't Ed but Thurston that was off that night.Thurston being around along time might just be "PLAYING THE GAME" DCA expects. :lol:

We don't play games. There were several drumlines that played great in Kingston. It's great to see how well these DCA percussion sections play with a very limited rehearsal schedule especially considering the material they perform. It's not my place on a public forum to discuss the details of this thread but when the season is over, I would be happy to detail the evaluation process so everyone here can be better informed on how its done. For now, enjoy the corps and forget about any conspiracy theories as they don't exist. As far as Ed goes, he is a very competent judge who will make the call based on his read at each show. Field percussion can be tricky with these corps as they are not as consistent as you folks may think and depending on how the performers play when you are sampling them will impact how a judge will rank and rate.

I understand we're all fans here ... and some of us are biased.

I'm not unique, but firmly in the minority: I don't care who wins ... ever. It would compromise my menial avocation as a DC World staffer for the past 20 seasons.

But I would be verrrry leery in questioning the provenance or credentials of Mark Thurston. Just take those memorable years from dem Bones when their thumpers were truly world-class.

I once watched him work the field at a DCA show, where an "unpopular" drumline was on fire that particular night. From the announcer's booth, I thought, "Mark's gonna put them in first." And he did.

In fact, at about 99% of shows I cover, emcee or attend, I'm in general agreement with the panel. It just works out that way.

I would tread lightly here, brethren.

Ace

That still doesn't explain the 0.1 difference between Fusion Core and Statesmen. A top 3 open class corps and an A class not so strong percussion section. That is purely bad numbers management.

:tongue:

That might be your feeling, but i'll stand by Ed's number. your not a judge.....he is and he is a #### good one.

can't y'all just let this drop already? The show is done and in the books. Lets move on people. Thurston and Argenziano are two well-respected men who called the show as they saw it ... enough already!

:tongue: I'm with Jenn

Edited by Fastone

i don't understand why you are all talking about Ed. Just look at the numbers. A lot of people on this thread are talking about how good MBI's line is this year, yet in jamestown Empire beat MBI in ensemble perc. and was .4 away in field percussion. In lewisburg empire was a full 2 points ahead of Bushwacker's in field percussion. yet they get to the Kingston show and Bush is .9 ahead of empire in field percussion, and empire barely beats out FUSION by .1 ?!?!?!?! Give me a break, look at all the numbers again and try to tell me that the scores weren't messed up in kingston.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Empire's battery is THAT outstanding?