The Percussion Discussion

Am I the only one that doesn't think Empire's battery is THAT outstanding?

I think they are very VERY good at what they do. My only problem is they don't do much. You look at lines like Buccs, Hurcs and sometimes Cabs and they make you WANT to watch them because of what they are doing. Empire achieves more, but they attempt less. My personal preference is watching a line run their butts off and put down notes, but everyone has their own style.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Field Visual=+0

Ensemble Visual=+.5

Color Guard=+1

Field Percussion=+1.7

Ensemble Percussion=-.3

Field Brass=-.2

Ensemble Brass=-.2

Visual Effect=+.1

Music Effect=-1.1

Overall=+2.6

Empire Kingston-Cicero

Edited by HighBrass09

well...Ed was doing field percussion. Mark was doing ensemble. in a lot of ways they are looking at different things

An interesting piece of info, Ed Argenziano was also the judge that put Rhythm X 5th in Music GE on Finals night in Dayton this year. Looking at the recap, Empire's field score was only a tenth about Fusion Core... where as Thurston had Empire 3 tenths above Hurcs for ensemble. Hard to believe there could have been that much of a discrepancy from the field to the box.

Jim Joyce anyone?

Empire SHOULD be close to Buccs in field perc because they ARE almost as clean. The problem is they are doing ten times less. I think demand should have a lot more to do with scores than they actually do, but that's just me. Buccs and Hurcs would run away with it. Of course I haven't seen MBI or Alliance but from what I have seen, those two lines aformentioned are in a class of their own and it will be fun to watch in three weeks.

Edited by DrumminDude

Has anyone seen MBI this year? I like what the Hurcs are doing this year. I can see that they are having a strong year for percussion but MBI always seems to be a game changer/dark horse. I have not seen any mid west corps this year.

How are they doing? Just currious.

Why are there two drum judges to begin with?

Some of us tried to change this years ago. Let the ensemble MUSIC judge, judge ENSEMBLE MUSIC.

DA

except Donny if you get a drum guy on EM you get a drum heavy tape if you get a brass guy, you get a brass heavy tape.

that's been a huge complaint in DCI since the current system went into place

Most of the ensemble tapes I listened to all summer where from music educators. Perhaps they had a slight weight to one side or the other, but seriously, Marty Griffin, JJ Pipitone, Glen Fugett, Jay Webb et al...did not talk about just percussion at all. They talked about the full music ensemble. They identified errors, and offered solutions to the brass line as well as the percussion.

On the other hand the brass weighted guys such as Paul McGarr, Albert Lo, Paul Hinman or Andy Cook et al may not have gotten as specific with their knowledge of rudiments and technical issues, they certainly were able to identify weaknesses in the music ensemble well enough to offer ideas as to why they were occurring and suggestions to correct these errors.

Just sayin...if it broke dont fix it, but this thread makes it seem like it may not be working, if there is that much discrepency in the same caption judged from different locations in the stadium.

DA