BD vs Cadets in visual

So then it could be argued that if the Cadets show is more demanding (challenging), it would be more difficult for them to execute technique. Should the Cadets water their show to bump up the technique scores? And if they did that, would they still be worthy of catching and beating BD? Or should they continue to get punished because their show is more difficult to execute? I thought the goal was to push the performances to the highest level, not push them just enough to win?

I guess I'm confused...

IMO...in order to win...

they need to show a bazillion different skils, just enough to get credit for doing it, and do them all well. That's what BD does. Cadets, tho I love most of their shows, do a LOT of the same skills visually. as such, they don't get the full credit for the attempt, and because they do a lot of the same thing, usually with wild velocity, it makes that much harder to get clean.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All things in time .....

gotta love the never give up approach!

No, what I am saying is that over 3000 kids try out for the Blue Devils each and every year and 150 of them make it. The person I was responding to says, that many of the posters on this board have recent marching experience. If this is the case perhaps we should see the actual credentials of said people to determine how much weight their opinion should carry in said discussion. If these folks with recent marching experience are every bit as good as the BD kids, then with the superior design of their shows and their superior talent shouldn't they be winning?

Oh yes it is all fixed... I remember now... The score sheets are all reviewed by the 2nd gunman on the grassy knolll before sending them up for announcement! Oh My God... Keep shooting fellas... :tongue:

I will be the guy in the stands clapping for everyone no matter what corps, or how good or bad... You can complain and hate all you want... It fits you! :tongue:

uh...many people on here DO list their resumes.

So then doing something at the HIGHEST possible level gives no better ability to grasp and explain said concepts and apply them? Hmmmmm... Guess the world needs to stop looking for proven experienced workers and go for those with excellent opinions. I mean who wants a proven product anyway? LOL

just because someone didnt win a ring doesnt mean they don't have knowledge. that kind of elitist attitude is what gives DCi a bad name

So then doing something at the HIGHEST possible level gives no better ability to grasp and explain said concepts and apply them? Hmmmmm... Guess the world needs to stop looking for proven experienced workers and go for those with excellent opinions. I mean who wants a proven product anyway? LOL

MMs have a pretty narrow focus while marching. They know their responsibilities very well -- not much beyond. I'll bet you could sit all 150 members of the BD down and ask them some question like "Explain the role of visual musicality in performance effect" and you'd get a dumb stare from most of them. OTOH I'll bet you could get some really good answers here. So your theory is pretty silly.

MMs have a pretty narrow focus while marching. They know their responsibilities very well -- not much beyond. I'll bet you could sit all 150 members of the BD everyone on DCP down and ask them some question like "Explain the role of visual musicality in performance effect" and you'd get a dumb stare from most of them. OTOH I'll bet you could get some really good answers here. So your theory is pretty silly.

fixed

If this is the case perhaps we should see the actual credentials of said people to determine how much weight their opinion should carry in said discussion. If these folks with recent marching experience are every bit as good as the BD kids, then with the superior design of their shows and their superior talent shouldn't they be winning?

How much is a "credential" worth? what constitutes a credential? Do I have one? Is one enough? What does a credential entitle me to? How many do you have? Did you get more credentials for marching in 1982 than the other years? because that was a better year. This credential thing is very interesting.

OTOH I'll bet you could get some really good answers here.

Haha, yeah right. DCP needs one of those "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimers.