Show attendees: Band Students

I was sitting behind a very large group of band students at the San Antonio show. You know where this is going, right? Yep.

1. Hey, adults in charge - band directors, parents, whoever: educate your kids about audience etiquette, PLEASE. There is no reason, whatsoever, that your kids think it's ok to use a drum corps show as their soundtrack to their personal conversations - often across several rows of seats - usually including many very loud group laughs that almost always cover up a soft part of a drum corps show.

2. When the boys in your band have binoculars, make sure they aren't using them to indicate to their friends - with pointing and loud comments - the various hotness level of some of the females on the field, particularly the ones with the flags and rifles and tight spandex outfits. I was so tempted to lean over and say "hey, her mom's right here and she's so happy you want to get some of that.")

3. Oh, band director guy! Another point: If you're going to turn around to your kids and say "are you learning stuff?" please continue that conversation and examine what they are actually learning. If you had your ears anywhere as open as I did, you'd know that they were basically dogging on fat kids and laughing at mistakes. (and gawking at hot chicks)

Ok, rant off. I know it's a dead horse, but I do have one suggestion for DCI: when a band orders more than 10 tickets, send a letter to the directors that states they are responsible for their kids' behavior, and if there are repeated offenses of general audience etiquette THE WHOLE GROUP will be asked to leave by a contest official. (yes, I'll be emailing DCI this suggestion)

Edited by TerriTroop

I was sitting behind a very large group of band students at the San Antonio show. You know where this is going, right? Yep.

1. Hey, adults in charge - band directors, parents, whoever: educate your kids about audience etiquette, PLEASE. There is no reason, whatsoever, that your kids think it's ok to use a drum corps show as their soundtrack to their personal conversations - often across several rows of seats - usually including many very loud group laughs that almost always cover up a soft part of a drum corps show.

2. When the boys in your band have binoculars, make sure they aren't using them to indicate to their friends - with pointing and loud comments - the various hotness level of some of the females on the field, particularly the ones with the flags and rifles and tight spandex outfits. I was so tempted to lean over and say "hey, her mom's right here and she's so happy you want to get some of that.")

3. Oh, band director guy! Another point: If you're going to turn around to your kids and say "are you learning stuff?" please continue that conversation and examine what they are actually learning. If you had your ears anywhere as open as I did, you'd know that they were basically dogging on fat kids and laughing at mistakes. (and gawking at hot chicks)

Ok, rant off. I know it's a dead horse, but I do have one suggestion for DCI: when a band orders more than 10 tickets, send a letter to the directors that states they are responsible for their kids' behavior, and if there are repeated offenses of general audience etiquette THE WHOLE GROUP will be asked to leave by a contest official. (yes, I'll be emailing DCI this suggestion)

That's Turrble, as a section leader, if we saw someone doing that there would be some push ups and laps if they didn't shut up. I'd be to afraid of what would happen if out band director EVER caught us doing that..... no joke

did anybody around them try telling them to shut up?

Ever stand in a tornado yelling "stop"?

did anybody around them try telling them to shut up?

there were some "shhh"s and glares, which they noticed and took heed of.... for about 20 seconds at a time. It just shouldn't be this much of an issue in the first place, which is my point.

Ever stand in a tornado yelling "stop"?

LOL thank you for that analogy. :tongue:

Before this thread goes too far awry: I am also aware that there are likely many more band groups who are appreciative and respectful audience members. It's just groups like the one I sat near that drive me nuts. It's like having one kid in a corps who does something really stupid and the whole corps pays the reputation price for it.

Kids these days!

GET OFF MY LAWN! :tongue:

Well at the Houston show I didn't have that problem. Well from high school kids. But rather I had to tell an adult to stop cursing loudly and keep his mouth shut during the show. It was annoying... after I told him that he left... but yeah I get ya and thats disappointing too... they need to shut up and watch the show!