Have You Seen the Blue Devils in Person or Not?

How did you see the Blue Devils, and what did you think of the show?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How did you see the Blue Devils, and what did you think of the show?

• I have seen the Blue Devils in person and I enjoyed their show!
    • I have seen the Blue Devils in person and I neither loved nor hated their show
    • I have seen the Blue Devils in person and I strongly disliked their show
    • I have seen the Blue Devils on video only and I enjoyed their show!
    • I have seen the Blue Devils on video only and I neither loved nor hated their show
    • I have seen the Blue Devils on video only and I strongly disliked their show
    • I may or may not have heard audio, but I have not seen the Blue Devils yet this year

Just curious. I know a DCP poll isn't going to decide anything, but I seem to hear from an awful lot of people that the Blue Devils show is far more effective in person. Most of the negative feedback for this show seems to be coming from those who have only seen the video. I wonder if we might be able to find some trends once we do the numbers. Please be honest.

Thank you.

No, not yet.....Love it, I think its one of the greatest shows ever....I compare it to the other shows I have seen the same way, via the computer.

I have seen Cadets, Crown, 'Coats, Cavaliers, Phantom, Boston, Spirit, Crossmen, and Surf live...so far.

G

Just curious. I know a DCP poll isn't going to decide anything, but I seem to hear from an awful lot of people that the Blue Devils show is far more effective in person. Most of the negative feedback for this show seems to be coming from those who have only seen the video. I wonder if we might be able to find some trends once we do the numbers. Please be honest.

Thank you.

Yes I did but it was 1973 and we kicked their butts

SCV Homer

I saw it in person and thought it was fascinating. I'm more visually oriented, and found the use of the mirrors to be genius. The way it allows members to appear/disappear/multiply was used SO effectively numerous times. It was just on a different level from what everyone else was doing.

Now, the music was at times hard to digest, but it struck me as being an appropriate portrayal of what I call "cats in a sack jazz" - the kind that has a lot going on in it and doesn't exactly caress the ear. After the butchering the music has taken on here, though, I was surprised that I found a lot of it much more melodious and fun than I was expecting.

I've watched it on FN and really like it, including the music. I like several of the other corps as well. Lots of variety in styles of shows is good.

Saw them in Edmond. I don't "hate" the show. That's too strong of a word. But on a personal pure enjoyment factor I can say I probably liked everyone else's shows better.

When they do play it's cool. I like the "La Suerta" teases or what ever it was in there. But they spend way too much time being a group of people used in visuals than a hornline. And why even have contras/tubas. They are heavy to carry and spend what seems like 1/3 of their time being a dance team. Also the walking baseline at the end is all synth not tuba so why lug them around? And I guess the dissonance just didn't impress me as much as it did the judges.

So no I do not "hate" it. Just did not care for it as much as Phantom, Spirit, Glassmen, Blue Stars, Troopers or even Legends for that matter. What they do is impressive. Just not entertaining to me.

I didn't really like what I could see on the FN. Changed my mind after seeing them live. Not even close to my favorite BD show but they are impressive.

• Like 1

Two times Live...Early Season in Cali

First time was up close. I sat low in the stands at Walnut. I tried to focus on the music, being that close- but other things came into my view as the show went along. I listiened to the melodies form the horns and the pit parts. First impression was- "####, they are loud!"- (as I think many in the stands would agree upon first impression). Second thought was how in the world there was no phasing. This because it seemed like each section of the hornline was playing their own melody- and with that- it seemed there was nothing to gage feet/beat on. Somehow, and amazingly feet and music were all fitting togehter. It sounded like there was no "straightforward" tune happening for a lot of the show- just many parts moving at once. But it sounded incredible. Third impression was- that jazzy piece with the fingers snapping and dancing...happens in the middle of the show- really enjoyed that. Shortly after, drums throw down in a solo- and that night they were on fire. First viewing- there was so much going on visually , it is almost impossible to take in. However, I did take some music with me. Overall, found it necessary to see it from a different perspective at Riverside the next night.

The second viewing I was up near the "inverted" press box at Riverside. From this view- I saw the drill, forms, and basically what was happening on the field with the mirrors. I began to understand the show, and really, the demand or individual repsonsibility. I heard the strains of La Suerte in the opener that I was hoping to hear. I was amazed at how the opener was arranged musically particular in the mellos. I was also amazed at the closer. I made out how the various sections of the hornline were playing so many different things- only to come together again and close out with the ending of La Suerte. After that viewing, I made my way out to the lot- and saw a lot of members around the equipment truck. I made a point to say "Wow. Great Show" to a cpuple BD trumpet players. I was totally impressed with what theywere doing. and found a new understanding from the show, after that viewing.

As for live vs. video- I agree there is a difference. Seeing this one live, you get the mosntrous sound coming at you- as well as understand all the details of what each individual is doing on the field. Simply because there is so much going on...video will never do it justice.

I thought the same thing about BD 94...lucky to see that one live too.

Edited by Dmlkmen