Drum corps storm stories

Anyone remember 1987 Drum Corps Midwest Finals in Saint Louis at Bush Stadium?

Tony

You mean standing in the tunnel? At least we had shelter, but that was a nasty storm.

I thought surely you would reference the mellophone rain dance that you guys added circle drill to and got us a tornado. Blew the cart over on that soprano player (Mike Mendez, I think) and put him out for the season.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes, the good ole' mud slide. We got pretty dirty that night!

I remember a certain Contra player - Spaz - who was going for speed

and distance records on that slope....(and possibly alcohol consumption)

By the time our buses got pulled out, he was not recognizable as a human! :satisfied:

LOL, I remember that day vividly. I was in my second year with Colts, biggest crowd in years for the home show. We had taken the field and were amped as #### to perform, and 2 seconds before step off they called the show. And then chaos ensued. Mud everywhere, corps members in boxers and t-shirts (or just boxers) sliding all over the place, guard members getting hosed off by all to willing participants wielding the hose..lol (you know who you are)

Lewisburg in mid 2000s: Lightning and horrendous rain before the show started. I got soaked and not feeling well so left before the show started after a delay. Route 15 south was blocked and had to go down a goat path as a detour. :satisfied: Get home and read on RAMD that I missed the green lightning that came with Round 2 of the storm.

Lewisburg, I think 1979 or 80 - I vaguely remember a horrendous storm blowing in while the Skyliners were on the field, and they didn't drop a beat even after several close lightning strikes around the stadium. They just kept getting louder and faster as they continued to perform. Crazy bunch of SOB's, but man they loved to perform.

73 or 74, staying at the Armory at Springfield Ill with several other corps for a few days. ( was that a Ill VFW show at the fair grounds ? )

The heat and the flies during the day and the storm in the middle of one night.

Broke windows and sent kids running everyway possible from a deep sleep

Some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard.

Of course I like storms so it was good for me.

Anyone remember 1987 Drum Corps Midwest Finals in Saint Louis at Bush Stadium?

Tony

I was waiting for someone to bring this one up. I can't find the topic in the Historical Drum Corps Forum, but that day was the craziest storm I'd seen in all my years marching. First of all, prelims was the hottest day marching I'd ever experienced. The old Busch Stadium was a bowl so no air circulated and it had aluminum bleachers for the sun, and astroturf. Walking on the Jumbotron said "141 Degrees on the field". True story. Performing was like working out in a sauna. That night we watched the storm approach and open up like I've never seen, being from New England. Within a minute the water pouring down the tunnels was almost a foot deep. Poor Star were on the field and just left all their circus equipment out there. 'Twas wild. Incredible storm.