Bennies Boom Boom Room!

Maybe the field judge wasn't in the mood for a "chocolate tone bath" last night... :smile:

Remember, great sound does not always= best field level corps. I trust the judges to judge by the sheet, unlike us fans. Sound preference is not on the sheet folks, so no matter how much we may love a hornline sound, it just does not factor into what the field brass sheet is totally about. It seems fans just don't understand that aspect of adjudication. Otherwise, brass scores would be dictated by who likes a classical sound, or jazz sound, etc. It;s the first thing they teach you in judges school... "Do NOT BE SEDUCED BY THE SOUND". It's the absolute wrong way to judge a corps from field level. Thank goodness this is the case today, or everyone corps that didn't play with a legit sound and in major keys all the time would be get slammed (see Cavies winning brass, circa 2002-2006).

Besides, everyone has bad shows, we are talking about kids age 16-21, not professional musicians.. Its ok, life goes on. :tongue:

Stop using logic and knowledge of the judging system! You are doing DCP wrong!

I don't think the spread is that far off just the score - I just think 94 with 3 weeks is too high

if you took PR score of the night before 87.9 and take the difference away from last nights score you get

1 Blue Devils 92.6

2 Carolina Crown 90.05

3 The Cadets 88.85

4 Phantom Regiment 87.9

Those scores would be more in line to what one should expect 3 weeks out....spread stays the same just the score is more in line.....just my opinion

Edited by blueorginal

Stop using logic and knowledge of the judging system! You are doing DCP wrong!

HAHA! Yeah, I know, darn logic. My apologies... :smile:

Crown is actually scoring a little bit higher than this point last season. Last year right now, they were at a 90.1 and they are scoring a 91.55 now.

I actually see a lot more dirt this year than last year as well (didn't think I would say this at the beginning of the season) so I'm anxious to see the growth all the way to finals.

Blue Devils score on the other hand will plateau for a bit sometime in the next two weeks. Last year, they were at a 92.95 and now they are at a monstrous 94.10. There is no way they will maintain this huge spread over the 2-5 corps over the next couple of weeks. Even if they break 99.15 at finals, their score has to slow down a bit.

Crown is actually scoring a little bit higher than this point last season. Last year right now, they were at a 90.1 and they are scoring a 91.55 now.

I actually see a lot more dirt this year than last year as well (didn't think I would say this at the beginning of the season) so I'm anxious to see the growth all the way to finals.

Blue Devils score on the other hand will plateau for a bit sometime in the next two weeks. Last year, they were at a 92.95 and now they are at a monstrous 94.10. There is no way they will maintain this huge spread over the 2-5 corps over the next couple of weeks. Even if they break 99.15 at finals, their score has to slow down a bit.

Yeah, but look at Atlanta last year, 95.250. I don't think they will surpass that and they didn't really level out too much. I am guessing tomorrow night will be around a 94 again and then a low 95 saturday night as well. I think Cavies will be right around where they were last year in ATL, 93.450 or a little higher.

Tonight should give us some indication of where Bluecoats and Cavies will be tomorrow. I am thinking a high 92 tonight for Cavies and mid 91 for 'Coats.

If Cavies are at 93.0 or higher, it's going to be very interesting this weekend...

Did I read that right? ... CROWN 4th in Brass. even with a bad show i dont see that hornline being a 4th place hornline. would pay almost anything to hear that judges tape and see the sheet he filled out

I was at the show last night, on the 50, 28 rows up. Crown had the purest overall sound, BUT had several individuals who were not locked into the performance at various times. With the extremely high exposure to error that Crown has in their show, it was very easy to hear those mistakes. Hopefully, everyone will get focused and perform that amazing brass program from start to finish. I expect nothing less of this great corps, and look forward to hearing them again live on Saturday.

I was at the show last night, on the 50, 28 rows up. Crown had the purest overall sound, BUT had several individuals who were not locked into the performance at various times. With the extremely high exposure to error that Crown has in their show, it was very easy to hear those mistakes. Hopefully, everyone will get focused and perform that amazing brass program from start to finish. I expect nothing less of this great corps, and look forward to hearing them again live on Saturday.

Exactly. You get it and most think that having the purest and most likeable sound means you should win all the time. Not the case when demand, accuracy, focus, etc. comes into play on a judge's sheet. I love their sound, but that doesn't make them the Ott Trophy winner by itself. Would be curious to how you compared BD and if you felt the field score was justified. If BD can do anything, it's play very well at field level, year in year out.

I was on the 50 in row 33 and concur with your analysis. The overall sound was the best of the night, but there were some stickouts (enough to be behind Phantom...probably not). The ensemble numbers (which reflect what we get as fans) were higher (I had them above BD - by a smidge)

As I've read before in another thread: there is absolutely no where to hide in Crown's brass show

A few quick thoughts from being at the show last night.

1) Dang, was it humid! Ugggghhh!

2) The overuse of low-end synth bass has got to stop! There are many fine brass lines / brass moments that are being swallowed up by this "thunderous goo" ($1 to whoever coined that phrase a few weeks ago).

3) Favorite overall program of the evening for me was Phantom. However, their brass line seemed much more restrained than typical for them. Starting their production hidden from the crowd, behind the wall at the end of the stands, was awesome. There was an open gate located where they finish their show that I thought they may go through to play that last chord from behind those stands - maybe that is coming later??? Drill is major improvement - very nice!

4) Little Jeffery = Adam Sandler of DCI. Liked his character much better than I thought I would. The flags with his pic on them are funny.

5) BD has released more power from their hornline - due to the new horns or a new approach - I am not sure which, but I do like that. However, BD is one of the worst for too much bass synth. If I was a member of that rediculously talented hornline, I would be ticked! Field coverage is outstanding.

6) Glassmen have possibly their best show design ever. I have tended to appreciate G-Men the last several years, but not like their programs. I do think the program this year is very appealing.

7) Troopers have got to clean up that marching! Intervals like that will not allow a return to Top 12. Brassline very restrained. Come'on Troop!

8) See my earlier post about Crown. Wonderful, wonderful brass sound - just need every individual totally concentrating from start to finish.

9) I would like to see all electronics removed from DCI. However........ I must give Teal Sound props for how they are using electronics along with the theme of the show along with the brass arrangements. One of the best thought out shows - meaning it was written for the age and talent of their corps, and has a nice "identity factor" to the show. I was very, very pleasantly surprised. (Still wish there were no electronics in DCI, though.) Not surprised to see Teal above Mandarins (no disrespect to Mandarins in that statement, either).

10) Cool people in the stands around me. 80 year old gentleman to girl around 5 years old - pretty awesome to see people have passion for this activity like that.

Ready for HOTlanta (in the A/C of the Georgia Dome)!

Exactly. You get it and most think that having the purest and most likeable sound means you should win all the time. Not the case when demand, accuracy, focus, etc. comes into play on a judge's sheet. I love their sound, but that doesn't make them the Ott Trophy winner by itself. Would be curious to how you compared BD and if you felt the field score was justified. If BD can do anything, it's play very well at field level, year in year out.

BD is rediculously talented and playing at an amazing level. Could not hear the individual errors like I could with Crown, but BD's music program is not constructed with that same kind of exposure as Crown's show. It will be an interesting finish to the season!