Explain the Stories Behind These 2010 Shows

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess the cost of being the champion. It is what competitive activities are about, right? Winning? You don't think Steeler fans would be willing to run the ball every down if they knew they could win by doing it. It would be boring, but fans want championships in all sports and I don't know why most DCI fans don't get that. It's what matters. As soon as we made music a judged sport, things had to change and therein lies the problem with a totally subjective art form: Being judged for scores.

Back to BD, they get more money to win and its the reason why some of our favorite corps have folded. They weren't competitive enough. I LOVED 27th lancers, but if they had won or even made finals in 86 (13th killed them), they would still be around.

The judges and all the fans will rarely ever see eye to eye and the almighty dollar is very important to every drum corps these days. Besides, even though "no one" likes them, have you seen Blue Devils' souvie booth this year? Its lined up down the street night after night. They are making a bank, so it seems like having a controversial show is really benefitting them this season.

It's the old battle of appealing to the crowd and trying to be competitive in the process. Besides, there are plenty enough fans that do like what BD does. They may not scream or jump and down and throw babies, but they quietly dig it. Problem is, they just don't all reside here in DCP Land.. :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

It's the old battle of appealing to the crowd and trying to be competitive in the process. Besides, there are plenty enough fans that do like what BD does. They may not scream or jump and down and throw babies, but they quietly dig it. Problem is, they just don't all reside here in DCP Land.. :tongue:

If that's the case, really, they can't cheer loudly? That's kind of a disservice to a corps show that they like.

It is what competitive a ctivities are about, right? Winning?You don't think Steeler fans would be willing to run the ball every down if they knew they could win by doing it. It would be boring, but fans want championships in all sports and I don't know why most DCI fans don't get that. It's what matters. As soon as we made music a judged sport, things had to change and therein lies the problem with a totally subjective art form: Being judged for scores.

Back to BD, they get more money to win and its the reason why some of our favorite corps have folded. They weren't competitive enough. I LOVED 27th lancers, but if they had won or even made finals in 86 (13th killed them), they would still be around.

The judges and all the fans will rarely ever see eye to eye and the almighty dollar is very important to every drum corps these days. Besides, even though "no one" likes them, have you seen Blue Devils' souvie booth this year? Its lined up down the street night after night. They are making a bank, so it seems like having a controversial show is really benefitting them this season.

Exactly! Because we all know the only reason people get involved in drum corps is to win. When I auditioned for Phantom last fall it was because I knew they were going to come back from 9th and win it all... it certainly wasn't because I wanted to have fun and entertain and be a part of something special... that would be ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and I was at the show last night... the whole season I have seen BD's show on fan network and I have been very confused, but now that I see it in person... I'm even more confused than I was before. There was way too much going on. I was trying the whole time to find things in the show that related to the theme. Other than the couple of obvious moves, I got nothing out of it. I literally said out loud once the show was over "What in the world just happened?"

Trumpetcam, NONE of the observations you made about the show would EVER be picked up the first time by some who had never heard the music. And if what they played was more musical than the original, then I would hate to hear what the original sounds like.

Oh yeah, and I was at the show last night... the whole season I have seen BD's show on fan network and I have been very confused, but now that I see it in person... I'm even more confused than I was before. There was way too much going on. I was trying the whole time to find things in the show that related to the theme. Other than the couple of obvious moves, I got nothing out of it. I literally said out loud once the show was over "What in the world just happened?"

Trumpetcam, NONE of the observations you made about the show would EVER be picked up the first time by some who had never heard the music. And if what they played was more musical than the original, then I would hate to hear what the original sounds like.

Thank you for proving my point. If you took the time to try and listen and relate to their show, it might make more sense, it might not. If that's not something that you like to do, then so be it. It's the refusal to try and learn that keeps the activity from moving forward as much as it should.

Even as a judge, you are taught that if you don't know music that the corps you will be judge are playing, you are asked to go listen so you can be more effective and understanding in the evaluation process. Is that too much to ask of the audiences as well? If you want to just show up and expect it to be simple and easy to understand, go watch a local band show. DCI is and should be much more than that. IMO, of course..

I didn't know half of the shows before the season started, but as I have gone and listened to stuff like Imogen heap, asphalt cocktail, Danzon,michael kamen, Bartok, Barber, etc, I was more prepared to what I was going to hear and how to better listen to it. I have enjoyed the shows MORE because I have a better insight to what the arrangers and designers are trying to say and do with their respective shows. Again, that's just how I choose to try and stay related to DCI and understand and enjoy going to shows in 2010.

To each his own, but I seem to be one of the few that don't complain about the state of activity these days. Life is too short to complain so much.... either go to shows and enjoy, or stop going and do something else. Its pretty simple really...

Edited by trumpetcam

Again I say I tried to listen and understand the show when I saw it in person and I didn't... I enjoyed the rest of the show a great deal. I had no trouble enjoying the Bluecoats and I have never heard any of their music before except when I watched Angels and Demons. The other corps had great music that added to the themes yet still was able to be enjoyed without being too familiar with the music. Crown has a lot of deep stuff to their show, but you can still enjoy the show solely because of the music without going too far into it. It's the same way with Phantom's show. There's a lot of detail in the show, but on the first viewing, you can get a gist of what's going on and still enjoy the music. With BD's show, I couldn't follow any of it. The music, the visuals, whatever. There was way too much going on with the mirrors, the disjointed music, the visuals. It made it hard be able to focus enough to try to get anything kind of meaning out of the show. I can't deny that it was done well (what I could actually see at least), but I did not enjoy it one single bit. You shouldn't have to do background research to enjoy a drum corps show. If you can't portray what you're trying say on the field in a way that people can easily understand or at least be able to enjoy on the first viewing, it shouldn't be done. While the Cadets show may cheesy and slightly childish at times, it's still easy to understand and enjoy.

When were you coronated as their collective mind?

It was yesterday. Didn't you get the memo? :tongue: