PROOF the judges are NOT.......

judging with a slotting mindset.

At least that's how I see it in my head (scary place to be sometimes). Check out the recaps from last nights show in Gadsden. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE! There is no way that panel is operating under the preconceived notion that those corps "belong" in certain spots. If they were slotting you would see almost all sub captions scoring in order across the board. Love it.

At least that's how I see it in my head (scary place to be sometimes). Check out the recaps from last nights show in Gadsden. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE! There is no way that panel is operating under the preconceived notion that those corps "belong" in certain spots. If they were slotting you would see almost all sub captions scoring in order across the board. Love it.

One show, one recap does not support your theory. Proof is a strong word. Think there is a lot more proof of the existence of slotting than not.

One show, one recap does not support your theory. Proof is a strong word. Think there is a lot more proof of the existence of slotting than not.

Slotting has been all but DIS proven if you're really paying attention to the debate. The more accurate term or concept is "grouping", which of course does happen but isn't the conspiracy theory driven pre-determined nonsense that the slotting protagonists would have you believe.

The more accurate term or concept is "grouping"

You're right...there is no slotting, just putting corps in the right group. Maybe what people are reacting to is that sometimes a group is only one corps big. When there are four groups only one corps big in a row it may appear, to the uneducated, that the judges are not allowing the groups to be move up or down. When in fact what is happening is the judges are putting corps into different groups.

Some years the groups are larger, for example, this year. The Cavalier, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crown are in a group. They are scored relatively closely together, because they are similar.

Another example of this would be 4-7 in 2007. Phantom, Crown, SCV, and Bluecoats were just about the same. They were a group. Phantom was less than a point from 7th place, with two corps in between that makes it very few small differences amongst those corps and they could have finished in any order that year. But, none of them were going to finish 3rd or 8th.

Edited by profhill

Slotting has been all but DIS proven if you're really paying attention to the debate. The more accurate term or concept is "grouping", which of course does happen but isn't the conspiracy theory driven pre-determined nonsense that the slotting protagonists would have you believe.

My guess, you are either unaware of, or have disregarded the G-7 proposal. The G-7 have not only admitted that there is a group slotting system currently in place in DCI, they are actually attempting to both codify it under DCI rules, and reward such group slotting in terms of judging selection, show selection, financial renumeration.

" group slotting " in DCI is no longer up for debate. Times change. The top Corps Directors themselves have acknowledged it exists..... and the scores and overall placements confirm it.

Edited by BRASSO

It all depends on the judges you get. Some are more likely to call it as they see it.... some are more likely to take a look at what recent judges have scored a corps and not have the balls to make a gutsy call for a great or awful performance.

It all depends on the judges you get. Some are more likely to call it as they see it.... some are more likely to take a look at what recent judges have scored a corps and not have the balls to make a gutsy call for a great or awful performance.

At least that's how I see it in my head (scary place to be sometimes). Check out the recaps from last nights show in Gadsden. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE!

If the Gadsden recap is what you call "all over the place", then you will never prove anything.

Today's judges are not afforded the opportunity to do anything but "slot" for the most part. The demand subcaptions were stripped off of the DCI sheets 12 years ago; electronics/amplification has skewed musical presentations... etc etc.

Take some time and look at historical scores from 15 to 20 years ago compared to now.

I can remember prelim/finals shows (DCI East; DCI Midwest, etc) where one corps may place first in prelims, and ended up 3rd or 4th in finals. That would never happen today. Also have seen historical scores where one corps won a show one night, and the next night with the same line-up, that corps was 2nd or 3rd. That never happens today 90% of the time.

While I DO NOT advocate reverting back to judging sheets/criteria based on 10 to 15 years ago, I DO advocate a thorough review of how today's judging community evaluates a show and how they are trained. We've gotten to the point where if "Corps A" (no names please) is scoring in the low to mid 90's on July 28/29th, there's no way they will be scored below a 90 the rest of the season -- even if their performance level merits an 89.9!!!