Crown Brass score

I must be missing something huge because I don't understand that one at all. From the opening, it is clear to me that this is a special horn line. The opening from the Baritones is completely unbelievable. They are spread at 5+ yard intervals playing full out all the way down to almost nothing and there is not a hint of anyone sticking out. It is flawless and played with both power and finesse. And it doesn't dissapoint anywhere after that. They have great tone from top to bottom. They are loud and balanced. They are articulate in all ranges. And FIFTH? Yuo've got to be kidding me.

Crown has an extremely exposed book this year. There is very little room for error. With that said, the slightest timing issue in attacks can be clearly heard at field level. I would say a judge putting Crown 4th in brass is due to timing and not in technique. There also becomes a question of when tone quality is based on effect, or just bad.

By finals, this hornline has very little to worry about. They will be stupid clean just like last year ... have faith.

You don't hear a lot of the things from the stands that the brass judges hear from the field.

Clearly. Whatever is sounding off to the judges isn't making it past the sideline.

You don't hear a lot of the things from the stands that the brass judges hear from the field.

I agree. I love to hear crown blowing down the house with that huge, lush sound BUT from the field it may be a completely different story. Crown can play loud like no other but I do hear some inconsistent playing at softer volumes (and fracks, etc.) Partly because the music is so exposed. I heard it last year too but it was great at finals.

Also, the opening is amazing and the baritone licks are cool put the are rarely together. Too me they sound muddy especially the first few. Somewhat like Phantom 08's opening herald trumpet fanfare. Took them all season to get it and they finally did final's week.

Time will tell.

Go Crown! Go Bluuuue!!!! Go Cavies!!! boom shakalaka boom shakalaka!! Haha

And to my home team...GO BD!!!!

Oh and can't forget...Go Star Alumni!!!

I agree. I love to hear crown blowing down the house with that huge, lush sound BUT from the field it may be a completely different story. Crown can play loud like no other but I do hear some inconsistent playing at softer volumes (and fracks, etc.) Partly because the music is so exposed. I heard it last year too but it was great at finals.

Also, the opening is amazing and the baritone licks are cool put the are rarely together. Too me they sound muddy especially the first few. Somewhat like Phantom 08's opening herald trumpet fanfare. Took them all season to get it and they finally did final's week.

Time will tell.

Go Crown! Go Bluuuue!!!! Go Cavies!!! boom shakalaka boom shakalaka!! Haha

And to my home team...GO BD!!!!

Oh and can't forget...Go Star Alumni!!!

You know when it comes right down to it, it really is just personal taste when it gets up into the upper echelon (sp?). I can't really look at the "higher placing" brass from tonight and say definitively that Crown should clearly be ahead of any of them. My gut tells me they ought to be ahead of somebody based solely on my drummer's ear for brass. It just feels like they should be in the top three. My ear is trained to hear percussion first. So when I walked away from the second night of the Dallas shows and Crown's brass was the single brightest spot to me, that seemed significant.

For the 3rd year in a row I am really quite upset that I will miss finals.

I must be missing something huge because I don't understand that one at all. From the opening, it is clear to me that this is a special horn line. The opening from the Baritones is completely unbelievable. They are spread at 5+ yard intervals playing full out all the way down to almost nothing and there is not a hint of anyone sticking out. It is flawless and played with both power and finesse. And it doesn't dissapoint anywhere after that. They have great tone from top to bottom. They are loud and balanced. They are articulate in all ranges. And FIFTH? Yuo've got to be kidding me.

I agree.

Then let's get the brass judges off the field and into the press box so they can judge the music as it is intended to be heard instead of an irrelevant place where you can't hear the forest for the trees.

Then let's get the brass judges off the field and into the press box so they can judge the music as it is intended to be heard instead of an irrelevant place where you can't hear the forest for the trees.

That is what ensemble music is for. If you do it for brass, then every caption needs to go upstairs.

Listen, crown's horn line is awesome. No doubt about that, but you don't know what they are hearing downstairs AND more importantly, there are at least 5 excellent horn lines this year and all for different reasons. BD is the cleanest. Coats are pretty clean and exciting. Cavaliers have tons of physical and environmental demands placed on them which they do well with, cadets have crazy tonguing and technique, and crown can push the stands back from any part of the field and follow that with a beautiful moment at pianissimo... Again, lots of good horn lines this year that showcase different things.