When are corps going to come back to their roots?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really isn't my point. My point is that drum corps has to evolve with the trends with HSMB in order to keep the talent coming in.

That, I'm sure, is the case today, but at one point, the WC Corps would recruit not from high school bands, but from smaller Corps. There were so many of them, that there were plenty of kids that had actual Drum Corps experience.

That, I'm sure, is the case today, but at one point, the WC Corps would recruit not from high school bands, but from smaller Corps. There were so many of them, that there were plenty of kids that had actual Drum Corps experience.

You don't think that still happens?

That really isn't my point. My point is that drum corps has to evolve with the trends with HSMB in order to keep the talent coming in.
? even the DCI survey released a few months ago said kids liked it because it was different.

sorry this continued mantra of must be like bands isn't exactly true...the kids in DCI corps said so

Do you ever get bothered by the way the corps do things, because the judges say: "It should be done this way"

EXAMPLE: For the last 15 years or so, ALL CORPS changed their uniforms because, the uniform should enhance where the sound is coming from. So ALL THE CORPS changed their style and history because of a few judges..

EXAMPLE: You cant wear spats, you cant wear white shoes, it will expose the marching errors, and detract from where the sounds come from!

EXAMPLE: You cant do any sensational marching effects during the show, because it has to "flow with the music. it has to enhance each phrase."

EXAMPLE: Why is there a Color pre in the middle of your show? etc....

DRUM CORPS HAVE COME A LONG WAY for the POSITIVE!...But when i watch MADISON SCOUTS, and hear their traditional music, i miss seeing their spats!

When i see SANTA CLARA VANGUARD, I miss seeing their full red jackets, that go down past their waist, plus their white shoes.

When i see TROOPERS, i miss seeing their Traditional Trooper uniform. Their Uniforms must enhance their show. If they were Trooper uniforms it wont go with the music!

NONSENSE TO ALL THIS!

JUST DO IT, BECAUSE IT IS DRUM CORPS,and SCREW ALL THE JUDGES and the UNIFORM COMPANIES that want to make a BUCK!

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

Ah, let me guess. That's your pithy way (sorry, "pithy") way of saying OMG THIS DINO IS SO CRAZY ROTFLMAO!!!!11!!1!!

Or did you actually have something to say? Then say it. Because if you disagreed with the OP, then disagree.

No free pass for you.

? even the DCI survey released a few months ago said kids liked it because it was different.

sorry this continued mantra of must be like bands isn't exactly true...the kids in DCI corps said so

What he said. My whole problem with all the changes is simply that. We're taking one activity (drum corps) that was already similar to another activity (marching band) and stripping it of anything and everything that makes it unique. I still (after all these changes) can't understand why we have to change one thing to the other. If you want to compete in World Class marching bands, create a circuit and do that. I wanted to continue watching drum corps perform uniquely designed field shows, completely acoustic, with their zany G bugles. There used to be a circuit just for that. But the powers that be decided to take that all away in the interest of somebody, (I'm not sure who), since a good portion of the fan base (the part with disposable income) seems opposed to many of the changes, and the DCI survey indicated that even the marching members liked having an activity different from the marching band already available to them.

Ah, let me guess. That's your pithy way (sorry, "pithy") way of saying OMG THIS DINO IS SO CRAZY ROTFLMAO!!!!11!!1!!

Or did you actually have something to say? Then say it. Because if you disagreed with the OP, then disagree.

No free pass for you.

no opinion??? NO POSTS FOR YOU!!! ONE YEAR!!!! NEXT!!!!! :lookaround:

As I work with teens still, I ask lots of questions to understand their minds. And to be honest, at least where I am lucky to teach, hard work doesn't scare the kids off...the content does.

This. I just got done working with a mellophone section at their band camp, and during sectionals when I would give them a chop break I would actually get into discussions about drum corps, mainly this year. The general feeling was that the difficulty was appreciated even if the content wasn't. The main example was this year's Blue Devils show. We all agreed that they were executing that show far better than anyone else, but their musical program just wasn't that fan friendly and wasn't enjoyable. They preferred Madison, Crown and Cadets, who all seem to have very fan friendly programs this year.