When are corps going to come back to their roots?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here Jim. I would say he and Franklin were too of our most unconventional FFs. Now Adams...there was a guy with an uptight attitude.

But he was "obnoxious and disliked" (quoting from the man himself :smile: ).

Dang, haven't watched my copy of "1776" lately, having parades 4th of July cuts into my old traditions.

then, tell me why what the "leaders" are doing is so "successful" then if fewer kids want to march.

I have my thoughts, but I'd love to see yours.

there is zero correlation between the "leaders" and fewer kids wanting to march.

As I hear Mike Davis in my head....he really has a pretty accurate list of what kids are doing now instead of joining a drum corps.

Suffice to say, I was thinking how the First Lady's emphasis on teenage obesity might help fill some holes, however, many drum corps kids suffer eating disorders after they leave the drum corps field behind...FACT.

They take in several thousand more calories than most of their peers all summer long. Yes, they are also burning even more calories than they are taking in. But, then fall sets in and a more sedentary life in school for many. However, their bodies are used to 7000 calorie intakes. Result? Pound packing. And then they cut weight for next season and a vicious cycle can begin leading to severe eating disorders.

Now, back on topic...

Short and sweet....many more alternatives for young kids today. Drum corps is too hard for most. Even too hard for many of the HS Band crowd. But the difficulty leads to excellence. And it is the excellence we all go to see. Being excellent by itself weeds out some kids because of the difficulty to get there.

Please see DCP's Community Guidelines - religious discussions, even on-topic ones, are not allowed on DCP. It's too big a can of worms - we've had some nasty business over it during the years.

Many thanks for your understanding,

Mike

Ed,

No need to lecture me as if I don't know Pioneer's mission. In fact, I'll go on record and say that there are sports teams with the same mission...and yet the teachers CAN and sometimes DO fail, and need to be removed from their duties. I'm not saying the Pioneer staff is in that spot, as it's still in the building stages and needs some time together...but, between us, some former Pio staff deserved to be gone, as some bad habits were taught that definitely hindered any kind of success.

That said...who is to say that corps with this mission can not be successful as well? if they can keep the staff in place for a period of time, and better yet, get many of the same kids to stick around for a few years, you can indeed have a win-win. maybe that win win is just getting into semis, but that's still an improvement.

I've never called Pio losers because of their traditions. I have in the past made comments that what was taught got them what they paid for in terms of on field placement. if you teach kids bad things, you won't get good results. The shame this year is they are in the toughest field ever top to bottom in DCI World Class in many, many years ( I'm talking since the early 80's.) This show 10 years ago probably has them making a run at finals.

Jeff,

Didn't intend for it to sound like a lecture. There are some pretty strong differing points of view on this thread and I was just trying to make a point. Have read many of your comments on this, and other threads, and generally agree with you most of the time.

Your points in this post are valid and it would be difficult to disagree with several of them. Again, this years results are the good and the bad of Pioneer's approach and mission. Pioneer will probably continue in this manner as long as Roman Blenski is the Corps Director. Nevertheless, I believe that the staff is doing the best they can under the present circumstances and I applaud them for that. I really applaud the kids for their hard work and attitude. Maybe that's one reason I am so passionate about this corps.

The topic of the thread was staying with or returning to their roots. I didn't want to stir up a controversy and believe this thread, due to a couple of posts got completely out of hand. Guess that happens when you deal with pot stirrers instead of soup makers. That comment is not directed at you so no reply is necessary.

there is zero correlation between the "leaders" and fewer kids wanting to march.

As I hear Mike Davis in my head....he really has a pretty accurate list of what kids are doing now instead of joining a drum corps.

Suffice to say, I was thinking how the First Lady's emphasis on teenage obesity might help fill some holes, however, many drum corps kids suffer eating disorders after they leave the drum corps field behind...FACT.

They take in several thousand more calories than most of their peers all summer long. Yes, they are also burning even more calories than they are taking in. But, then fall sets in and a more sedentary life in school for many. However, their bodies are used to 7000 calorie intakes. Result? Pound packing. And then they cut weight for next season and a vicious cycle can begin leading to severe eating disorders.

Now, back on topic...

Short and sweet....many more alternatives for young kids today. Drum corps is too hard for most. Even too hard for many of the HS Band crowd. But the difficulty leads to excellence. And it is the excellence we all go to see. Being excellent by itself weeds out some kids because of the difficulty to get there.

i actually mostly agree.

however....

all excellence aside, is it possible people see what the corps are performing and say "uh, no thanks...that's boring?"

I do. As I work with teens still, I ask lots of questions to understand their minds. And to be honest, at least where I am lucky to teach, hard work doesn't scare the kids off...the content does.

that said...yes, I agree that hard work does scare kids off. The sad part tho, is these leaders that say they know what the kids want, really don't.

Jeff,

Didn't intend for it to sound like a lecture. There are some pretty strong differing points of view on this thread and I was just trying to make a point. Have read many of your comments on this, and other threads, and generally agree with you most of the time.

Your points in this post are valid and it would be difficult to disagree with several of them. Again, this years results are the good and the bad of Pioneer's approach and mission. Pioneer will probably continue in this manner as long as Roman Blenski is the Corps Director. Nevertheless, I believe that the staff is doing the best they can under the present circumstances and I applaud them for that. I really applaud the kids for their hard work and attitude. Maybe that's one reason I am so passionate about this corps.

The topic of the thread was staying with or returning to their roots. I didn't want to stir up a controversy and believe this thread, due to a couple of posts got completely out of hand. Guess that happens when you deal with pot stirrers instead of soup makers. That comment is not directed at you so no reply is necessary.

I hope they do honor their tradition....but I also hope they teach WELL. if they can do that, get kids to stay and keep a staff together for a few years, I think a win win is possible.

Don't believe me...look at the Blue Stars

I hope they do honor their tradition....but I also hope they teach WELL. if they can do that, get kids to stay and keep a staff together for a few years, I think a win win is possible.

Don't believe me...look at the Blue Stars

Believe me I have been and am impressed. They are moving up.

Believe me I have been and am impressed. They are moving up.

and it's within Pio's ability to do it.....if they build a stable staff and get kids to stay.

and it's within Pio's ability to do it.....if they build a stable staff and get kids to stay.

Totally agree.