More Complex Drum Corps, yet...

After attending the DCI Atlanta show, I find it truly ironic that with all the complexity of drum corps, the intricate drills, music, and colorguard, two of the loudest cheers during any corp's show were for Madison's "Fleur de Lis", and Carolina's "Crown" There must be a message there somehow....

Perhaps, "Less is More" ????

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Cavies were getting all the biggest applause, though. I saw that all over the place in the Murf and Atlanta threads.

All of these people with different perceptions of what "the audience" loved the most.....which of you really speaks for "the audience"?

After attending the DCI Atlanta show, I find it truly ironic that with all the complexity of drum corps, the intricate drills, music, and colorguard, two of the loudest cheers during any corp's show were for Madison's "Fleur de Lis", and Carolina's "Crown" There must be a message there somehow....

Perhaps not.

I appreciate your providing us your first hand experience as one who was in attendance last night in Atlanta. From watching the competition live on Fan Network, it appeared that the Madison Scouts did get one of the best ovations of the evening in conclusion of their show. There were some apparent good " wow "moments with a few other Corps as well, including the Cavs rifle- pushups portion of show accompanied by the trumpet screamers at the end.. there were a few other " wow " moments as well. But Drum Corps shows could use quite a bit more, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavies got the largest sustained applause for the evening.

An agenda is emerging today. Hey, olde timers...even DCA corps use amps now.

I can't wait until one of them says, "You kids get off my lawn."

More likely - "Get yours syths and amps off my lawn"

Cavies got the largest sustained applause for the evening.

An agenda is emerging today. Hey, olde timers...even DCA corps use amps now.

I can't wait until one of them says, "You kids get off my lawn."

As their hearing diminishes, many will come to appreciate the mic'ed soloists, imo.

Kudos to the Bluecoats for an effective use of the microphone for the audio transmission of the solo to this poster.

I don't speak for others here. But this unobtrusive use of the microphone for the audio transmission increased volume of solos is an ok change in my book.

Edited by BRASSO

could crown just play any old thing and still get the same reaction by making a crown?

if not, wouldn't that mean music has something to do with the crowd reaction along with the form...just maybe?

I bet you a nickle that if Trooper's did a wonderfully marched sunburst playing whole note chords, they'd get a great crowd reaction.

As much as I'm a "music" honk, instead of a "visual" honk, some things transcends boundaries...tradition is tradition, and a good tradition performed well is going to get a great response.

I thought the Cavies were getting all the biggest applause, though. I saw that all over the place in the Murf and Atlanta threads.

All of these people with different perceptions of what "the audience" loved the most.....which of you really speaks for "the audience"?

From where I was sitting, it certainly seemed the Cavies got the longest sustained applause of the night. But, like you said, it's funny how two different people at the same show can walk away with different perceptions on who "the audience loved" most, heh.