My $.02 on the state of drum corps after Murfreesboro

Let me tell you what's most remarkable about this thread. Y'all went more than four pages without a hijack, a diversion or even a contrary opinion. That has to be unique on DCP where snarky opinions are second only to individual agendas.

HH

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, although extremely acidic and nothing but a blended concoction of multiple pieces that used to be enjoyable to listen to. Why even play it when half the time you can't pick up the slightest hint of an extended duration containing their melody? I'm sure Stan Kenton loves their interpretation of 4 bars of La Suerte de los Tontos.

Sorry, but what once were understandable and accepted standards of the jazz idiom, are now a cluster of non-melodic musical garbage. But I guess I'm not qualified enough, I only played in jazz ensembles through college.

The 1980 and 1992 BD alums are even a little lost/frustrated/upset with the musical design choices this year (I talked to one of them at the Charleston show personally!). When your alums are even lost, the quiet crowd reaction should be the last thing on your mind.

/rant

LOL...one, two, ten, fifty ?? How many alums have you actually spoken to to come up with that light-shedding decree that "When your alums"..implying they all sont care for the show ??

G

I was there in Buffalo on finals night, and it was amazing. What a great all around top 12 that year.

The last minute of Madison...the crowd was going nuts...couldn't hear anything that was being played!

Maybe they should have been mic'd up? :blink:

I complained about this last year and got crickets, except for one reply that was something like "...oh, just let them play and enjoy it!" Please?

I thought last year that it was a reflection of a chicken perc arranger. I think the same thing this year, although not as many are doing it this year.

Oh, and it wasn't just the drum break. Many used the same technique (?) for their closer, too.

i've been saying it since 2006

With the glass breaking?

Or by resolution, do you mean the lame, overused, in-every-BD-show-the-past-decade unison chords at the ends?

I didn't say it was the strongest resolution, but you implied there wasn't one. It was clear, whether you liked it or not.

OP: This is a brilliant post that should be shared with every corps director in DCI.

btw, I think you would find that Blue Knights are also "refreshingly" old school this year.

americas got talent. give the audience buzzers and when the corps is boring XXX. OFF THE FIELD. YAWN. TAKE YOUR MIRRORS AND LAST YEARS CHAIRS AND OPEN A BEAUTY SALON. BRING BACK IN YOUR FACE JAZZ

IT ACTUALLY IS STUCK. OLD COMPUTOR. IT GOES BACK AND FORTH. I AM NOT SHOUTING. ITS STUCK

Go spend $20 and get a new kb, or ask anyone for a left over one... :blink: And I am certain that a lot of people here appreciate the one liner, but frankly, it is getting pretty tiring. As has been stated to death, some of us actually liked the chairs and approve of the mirrors. We even understand Kenton. BTW, 1930 was a jazz based show, didn't hear a lot of love for that either.

Actually its fixed and I am not a dinosaur. The blue devils are about as entertaining as a guy on a tightrope in the circus. you know he's good but after 3 mins its ok next. yes in your face jazz like johnny one note. channel one suite, Pat Metheney.

Allentown will be sitting on thier hands as always for 80 percent of the corps because they are all dinosaurs too. If the audience doesnt respond somthing is wrong unless of course your there. You are the entertainment king who knows everything. goodnight mary

Have you any other opinion to offer or are you stuck on whining about BD? :blink: I am not certain that Allentown is a great indicator of anything except Allentown. Of course, you could come to Standford or UOP and here a completely different reaction. But clearly, Standford and UOP venues would never attract anyone that might know anything about Drum Corp. Well except for SCV, BD, Mandarins, Crusade.... etc... And you are more than entitled to your opinion and market research with your sample size of one. Lol. Go BD! If anything, posts like this make me even more of a BD fan. Except for on the field, they are definitely the underdog.

I would HIGHLY recommend paying a consultant with real-world experience, or better yet, call your local Army Band and build a relationship with their sound engineers.

Before you spend the money on real world professionals to wire your speakers-- you could consider having a professional arranger do the horn book.