My $.02 on the state of drum corps after Murfreesboro

Yes, although extremely acidic and nothing but a blended concoction of multiple pieces that used to be enjoyable to listen to. Why even play it when half the time you can't pick up the slightest hint of an extended duration containing their melody? I'm sure Stan Kenton loves their interpretation of 4 bars of La Suerte de los Tontos.

Sorry, but what once were understandable and accepted standards of the jazz idiom, are now a cluster of non-melodic musical garbage. But I guess I'm not qualified enough, I only played in jazz ensembles through college.

The 1980 and 1992 BD alums are even a little lost/frustrated/upset with the musical design choices this year (I talked to one of them at the Charleston show personally!). When your alums are even lost, the quiet crowd reaction should be the last thing on your mind.

/rant

Honest question....... have you ever listened to City of Glass?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question....... have you ever listened to City of Glass?

Yes, I have. And I'm aware of how obnoxious the entire collection is. Yet most of those tracks have rhythmic backbones with slow high-hats or hard driving jazz swings behind the mix of eclectic melodies. While on the field, the Blue Devils have scatter sets to the next thought, never settling in on what their trying to push across to the viewer/listener. I appreciate interpretation, but it's twisted into something even more radical that what Graettinger had in mind, which isn't something I personally feel is well-received. (Aside from the outrageous scoring of course despite most of them--come on, be honest with yourself-- probably never listening to this stuff in their spare time.)

And yet it's being embraced by many traditionalists on here. SCV last year was also well-loved - ostensibly in spite of the presence of synthesizer. I've seen it claimed in many a thread that Phantom 2008 worked because it was "old school". Synths weren't legal yet, but amplification was. Tell me, what do you see in this picture?

Betrayal.jpg

I see my son right in front of the gong

Even his computer is a dinosaur.

Actually its fixed and I am not a dinosaur. The blue devils are about as entertaining as a guy on a tightrope in the circus. you know he's good but after 3 mins its ok next. yes in your face jazz like johnny one note. channel one suite, Pat Metheney.

Allentown will be sitting on thier hands as always for 80 percent of the corps because they are all dinosaurs too. If the audience doesnt respond somthing is wrong unless of course your there. You are the entertainment king who knows everything. goodnight mary

THAT is funny!!

(And sadly true)

Actually it was very rude and uninformed.

on #6, you forgot every drum break must end with unison slams played from above the head.

I couldn't agree more on this. With apologies to cartoonist Natalie Dee,

40497_1515723022925_1529960482_31294236_1626940_n.jpg

Edited by SCV Biker

Yes, I have. And I'm aware of how obnoxious the entire collection is. Yet most of those tracks have rhythmic backbones with slow high-hats or hard driving jazz swings behind the mix of eclectic melodies. While on the field, the Blue Devils have scatter sets to the next thought, never settling in on what their trying to push across to the viewer/listener. I appreciate interpretation, but it's twisted into something even more radical that what Graettinger had in mind, which isn't something I personally feel is well-received. (Aside from the outrageous scoring of course despite most of them--come on, be honest with yourself-- probably never listening to this stuff in their spare time.)

It kinda sounds like you just don't like that part of the show and the source music, which is fine. It is pretty clear, however, how that section is resolved musically and visually in that part of the Blue Devils show.

It kinda sounds like you just don't like that part of the show and the source music, which is fine. It is pretty clear, however, how that section is resolved musically and visually in that part of the Blue Devils show.

With the glass breaking?

Or by resolution, do you mean the lame, overused, in-every-BD-show-the-past-decade unison chords at the ends?

I think every new marching member and staff member coming into DCI should have to watch, as a part of an indoctrination, the 1995 Madison Scouts Finals performance. The title of the flick would be simple, "What is drum corps? Just watch!"

I agree. I have it loaded to my Facebook page.