SCV's 1989 repeat

Madison also did Cy coleman's City of Angels 2 years in a row.

If you look at corpsreps.com and look in the 70s and 80s, you will see MANY corps did something like the following:

1980: Songs ABCD, and E

1981: Songs CDEF, and G

1982: Songs EFGH, and I

1983: Songs GHIJ, and K

it seems it was quite common back then. Yes, that's different than rpeating an entire show, but arrangements and drills are different, even if the basic song is the same.... you are still learning a whole new show.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind Santa Clara repeating their "Phantom" show, in principle. As others have pointed out, corps did it all the time. My problem was with the way they did it. I felt they literally put the musical on the field in '88, but IMO, they didn't really come close to that intense emotional impact in '89. It's the little things; for example, not having any guys in the guard bothered me because I felt they were only telling half the story that they told in '88, and the parts that were missing were sorely missing.

Now, had they done the '89 version first, rather than following it with their more literal interpretation in '88, I probably wouldn't have had any problem with it because I wouldn't have had the previous version to compare it to. It would've been much like Garfield Cadets doing "West Side Story" with an all-female guard. They, too, told only half the story . . . but then, they hadn't done "West Side Story" the previous year with a co-ed guard playing all the parts.

As for whether they should've beaten Madison in '88: When I watched the telecast, I agreed, but friends who were there said that Madison outmarched everyone else, and there was no question in their minds that Madison deserved the win.

I didn't mind Santa Clara repeating their "Phantom" show, in principle. As others have pointed out, corps did it all the time. My problem was with the way they did it. I felt they literally put the musical on the field in '88, but IMO, they didn't really come close to that intense emotional impact in '89. It's the little things; for example, not having any guys in the guard bothered me because I felt they were only telling half the story that they told in '88, and the parts that were missing were sorely missing.

My wife, who is not a corps person, saw vid of both programs and prefers 88...she said 89 sounded angry (that plus the Red Death sequence in Masquerade was refined and elegant in 88....and a Halloween spook in 89)

My wife, who is not a corps person, saw vid of both programs and prefers 88...she said 89 sounded angry (that plus the Red Death sequence in Masquerade was refined and elegant in 88....and a Halloween spook in 89)

Your wife gives a very good analysis. I hadn't pinpointed the emotion that I felt was so prevalent in the '89 program, but "angry" describes it very accurately, IMO. Also, I felt that the show seemed a bit frantic . . . even in the slow sections. Strange, because I tend to think that the second versions of various programs are better because they're more refined. But I've just never been able to feel that way about this particular one. *shrug*

Your wife gives a very good analysis. I hadn't pinpointed the emotion that I felt was so prevalent in the '89 program, but "angry" describes it very accurately, IMO. Also, I felt that the show seemed a bit frantic . . . even in the slow sections. Strange, because I tend to think that the second versions of various programs are better because they're more refined. But I've just never been able to feel that way about this particular one. *shrug*

I am a huge fan of "seconds". I think drum corps tend to kick it up a notch the second time through, but for Phantom of the Opera my vote goes to 1988. I think the emotion the corps captured that year mirrored the Broadway show. I will say that both 1988 and 1989 SCV were great performing corps and the productions were magnificent.

I agree with all of the posters who liked 88 instead of 89. Musically it came across a bit better and I agree about the guys in the color guard...and even the design of the flags was better in 88. Sometimes I think they have to hone in on the precision so much it often looses something. They clean so much and the kids are so worried about the mistakes...it doesn't come off as well.

That should not be the case as much today with the newer judging style.

Love the Vanguard no matter what!!!!!!

I loved both years. If I had to choose I would probably go with 88 for the most part, but would take the "angry" push at the end of 89 all day everyday! Loved the over the top emotion.

But why? Obviously it's easier to tweak a few drill moves, change a minute or two of music and play 85% of the same show. In some way it's like having two years to clean one show. Is that it, just because it's easier?

And nowadays it seems no corps in their right mind would play the same show back to back. Again...why? If Crown comes back the following year with "The Grass is Even Greener", they might win a championship. Just wonderin.

Curious if you have actually even seen the shows? Tweaking a few drill moves and replaying 85% of the show is not even remotely close to accurate.

Curious if you have actually even seen the shows? Tweaking a few drill moves and replaying 85% of the show is not even remotely close to accurate.

:thumbup:

Jon, wasn't your 1987 SCV show just 85% from the 1986 SCV show? :tongue: