Age restrictions that DCI Corps have ?

the cadets don't except High School aged members. Its their choice, and they do fine without them.

The Cadets are free to do so, and it is their choice in this. So you are correct. This poster is not " bashing them " for their decision to age restrict marchers either. I just wanted to know the age restriction if any on these Corps, and you answered it.

The Cadets will not accept High School students.

What about the Blue Devils.... Cavaliers..... Carolina Crown ? ( or any other DCI Corps for that matter ). Do they also restrict their marching membership to post high school age marchers now as well ? I' not questioning their decision one way or the other here. I 'm just curious if these Corps have marchers still in High School anymore. that's all.

Do they ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was brought to my attention recently that there are a couple of DCI Corps that have adopted a policy of not accepting any marchers anymore into their Corps that are still in High School. I've known in the past that these Corps have had marchers march while in High School, so I was not sure if this info was accurate or not. One of the Corps mentioned to me was The Cadets. But from looking at this Corps this year, it looked to me that they still have a few marchers that appear to still be in High School.

So... the question is.... are there any Corps this year that do NOT have any High School age marchers ?

My daughter is a rookie marching Cadets at trumpet this year at 17 and will be entering her senior year in HS this fall. I know of one baritone that is in the same situation as her, so there's at least two with Cadets. We worked diligently with both the Cadets and her HS to make sure everything was communicated early and often, and that all requirements were met. My daughter left school early to join spring training at the beginning, missed 5 days in the 2nd week for school and band performance commitments, returned to spring training, and then missed another 2 days to return to school and take her finals. It didn't take her long to get back up to speed with the Cadets when she returned either. Both the school and Cadets were extremely accomodating and we really didn't get much flak from either side. However, we stayed on top of things with regular communications to both starting in January, plus my wife works in the school system, so she knew precicely what the rules are and I'm sure that helped. We made sure her teachers knew what she was doing and why, and made sure to have a plan in place for her to accelerate the workload so she would be done with the majority of her work before spring training started. The last couple of days she returned to school were necessary because the rules state that if you are absent for more than 10 consecutive school days, you are disenrolled regardless of circumstances. She also had her final band concert for the year and had solos, so it all worked out. Assuming she wants to do it again next year, we'll have an even bigger head start for her senior year.

So to answer, your info about Cadets is incorrect. I'm not positive, but I beleieve they also have a 15 yr old marching brass as well, but can't say for sure. What I can say is that the Cadets staff has been nothing but positive from our standpoint, even with her missing so much time in spring training.

Edited by Shamu89

Based on DCI's member surveys, the average age goes up the further up the ladder you go, and with the exception of 2008 (which was the only true "upset" for first in decades), the corps with the highest average member age has won every year they've tracked it.

Mike

That's an interesting statistic. Do we have data for this year's corps (ie Blue Devils?)

. With all that said I would also venture to say if a kid in HS went to an audition and blew everyone away they would get a spot and and exception would be made

This is not the case however insofar as The Cadets are concerned. It appears that their policy adopted of late would be to bypass that individual. Again, I m not making judgement here on this, one way or the other. I'm just trying to undestand what the top Corps do these days, that's all. I have little doubt that when The Cadets age restict with this individual it's no problem for them as right beside that camper is another camper... not of High School age.... that is pretty talented as well that they can select.

Edited by BRASSO

That's an interesting statistic. Do we have data for this year's corps (ie Blue Devils?)

I saw somewhere before the season started that BD was the oldest corps this year, and statistically, the oldest usually wins. No idea where I saw it

My daughter is a rookie marching Cadets at trumpet this year at 17 and will be entering her senior year in HS this fall. I know of one baritone that is in the same situation as her, so there's at least two with Cadets. We worked diligently with both the Cadets and her HS to make sure everything was communicated early and often, and that all requirements were met. My daughter left school early to join spring training at the beginning, missed 5 days in the 2nd week for school and band performance commitments, returned to spring training, and then missed another 2 days to return to school and take her finals. It didn't take her long to get back up to speed with the Cadets when she returned either. Both the school and Cadets were extremely accomodating and we really didn't get much flak from either side. However, we stayed on top of things with regular communications to both starting in January, plus my wife works in the school system, so she knew precicely what the rules are and I'm sure that helped. We made sure her teachers knew what she was doing and why, and made sure to have a plan in place for her to accelerate the workload so she would be done with the majority of her work before spring training started. The last couple of days she returned to school were necessary because the rules state that if you are absent for more than 10 consecutive school days, you are disenrolled regardless of circumstances. She also had her final band concert for the year and had solos, so it all worked out. Assuming she wants to do it again next year, we'll have an even bigger head start for her senior year.

So to answer, your info about Cadets is incorrect. I'm not positive, but I beleieve they also have a 15 yr old marching brass as well, but can't say for sure. What I can say is that the Cadets staff has been nothing but positive from our standpoint, even with her missing so much time in spring training.

Thank you for clearing this up, Shamu89. It's appreciated.

And once again silly "logic"/truth gets in the way of conspiracy theories and rumor.

Thanks for the clarification; I hope your daughter is having a great summer!!

Coming from the opposite end of the same street, I was not allowed to march drum corps until the summer after my senior year due to policies in my high school band.

And once again silly "logic"/truth gets in the way of conspiracy theories and rumor.

Thanks for the clarification; I hope your daughter is having a great summer!!

And once again, DCP has been shown to be a valuable outlet that can clear up rumors that are out there.

We sometimes hear how some want to bash what takes place here on DCP. But oftentimes we do not always appreciate the value that DCP provides in shedding light on a topic, and bringing more clarity

( ok... enough with my pandering and sucking up to this joint... haha)

My son graduated from HS this year and made the Bluecoats. Due to his excellent academic performance over the past 4 years, he was allowed to leave school early and go to move ins. He did have to come back for Fine Art week where all the music groups he belonged to performed. He also had to miss 3 days for Recognition Assembly and graduation.

The corps worked with him and us and it has worked out fine for him.

msquared