Will BD 2010 Be Forgettable?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if you're Phantom '08... zing!

I don't think there have ever been two more evenly matched corps ever. The ticks were in different areas (Guard for Phantom, brass and drums for BD) but Phantom had the better design and emotional connection with the audience. The only legendary show I can think of that wasn't extremely fan accessible is Cavies 2002. That is the only show I have been stunned to silence by technical achievement.

, "While Cadets of Bergen County defeated Star by one tenth of a point it is widely agreed that Star had the better show overall."

No there isn't... There is no " wide agreement " that Star of Indiana" had the better show " at Finals in 1993.. That's just an urban myth. There was no " wide agreement " at all from the fans around me that were there, and certainly not from the judges that night either. Now perhaps there are people that were NOT there, that looking back through a tape of that show might come to that incorrect belief. But there was no " wide agreement " with those that were there , this much is for certain. The Cadets won the semi finals with one set of judges.. and the next nite, with another set of judges, the Cadets beat Star on back to back nites for the title. The fan's favorite in 1993 might actually have been the Phantom Regiment . They that had a "great show " in 1993 as well as a matter to fact, especially musically. And it resonated well with lots of fans that year.

That said, I have no doubt whatsoever that the Star Reunion Cops will rock the house in Indy next week, and will receive a well deserved hand. But revisionist history serves no useful purpose. And I just wanted to point that out.

Edited by BRASSO

No there isn't... There is no " wide agreement " that Star of Indiana" had the better show " at Finals in 1993.. That's just an urban myth. There was no " wide agreement " at all from the fans around me that were there, and certainly not from the judges that night either.Now perhaps there are people that were not there, that looking back through a tape of that show might come to that incorrect belief. But there was no " wide agreement " at all with those that were there The Cadets won the semi finals with one set of judges.. and the next nite, with another set of judges, beat Star one again for the title. One of the fan's favorite in 1993 was Phantom Regiment that had a "great show " as a matter to fact.

That said, I have no doubt whatsoever that the Star Reunion Cops will rock the house in Indy next week, and will receive a well deserved hand. But revisionist history serves no useful purpose. And I just wanted to point that out.

I must have been in another universe back then because as I remember MANY people hated Star and said " It wasnt Drum Corps " When I see all the Hype on Star now I scratch my head and say to myself. DID I imagine all that back then?...lol...Oh well, maybe it's selective memory...lol

I must have been in another universe back then because as I remember MANY people hated Star and said " It wasnt Drum Corps " When I see all the Hype on Star now I scratch my head and say to myself. DID I imagine all that back then?...lol...Oh well, maybe it's selective memory...lol

No... you actually stated it correctly. The poster above got it wrong as he implied that it " was widely agreed Star had the better show ". You confirmed what I just told him. I talk to people all the time that watched 93 Star throughout the season in '93 and echo just what you said. I only saw the Star in the Semi's and Finals in '93, and so I was only commenting on my observations there, that's all. Fans seemed to be divided among 3 or 4 Corps as to which" had the best show " there, although many acknowledged Star's talent and ability in '93 with their show.

'93 reminds me of this year in that it is generally aknowledged that the Blue Devils have enormous talent in all sections of their corps this year.. But there is wide differences of opinion that the Blue Devils have " the best show for 2010 ". Many fans complain that" this is not Drum Corps "and" don't like all the stuff they do on the field"... "don't like the music".... ..." they don't deserve their scores"...." enjoy many other Corps more"..." don't understand their show."... Ironically,what Star heard in 1993 from some fans is like what the 2010 Blue Devils are hearing this year from some fans in many respects.

Edited by BRASSO

No... you actually stated it correctly. The poster above got it wrong as he implied that it " was widely agreed Star had the better show ". You confirmed what I just told him. I talk to people all the time that watched 93 Star throughout the season in '93 and echo just what you said. I only saw the Star in the Semi's and Finals in '93, and so I was only commenting on my observations there, that's all. Fans seemed to be divided among 3 or 4 Corps as to which" had the best show " there, although many acknowledged Star's talent and ability in '93 with their show.

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if I was imagining all of it..lol :lookaround:

No there isn't... There is no " wide agreement " that Star of Indiana" had the better show " at Finals in 1993.. That's just an urban myth. There was no " wide agreement " at all from the fans around me that were there, and certainly not from the judges that night either. Now perhaps there are people that were NOT there, that looking back through a tape of that show might come to that incorrect belief. But there was no " wide agreement " with those that were there , this much is for certain. The Cadets won the semi finals with one set of judges.. and the next nite, with another set of judges, the Cadets beat Star on back to back nites for the title. The fan's favorite in 1993 might actually have been the Phantom Regiment . They that had a "great show " in 1993 as well as a matter to fact, especially musically. And it resonated well with lots of fans that year.

I agree, it seems like the consensus that Star was superior was formed from the recordings of the finals show. Star '93 was amazingly staged for the mics, as opposed to the Cadets show, and when the audio recordings came out around Christmas that year, everyone immediately recognised that Star's recording came out better. I was there at finals in '93, and I felt Star should have won, but both shows were great, and I think having that last performance spot in finals is HUGE. Among the fans at '93 finals, most were elated that Star did not win. Most fans were rooting against Star the whole time--they had won every show all year long through quarter finals--and the average fan hated it.

The first lesson in Drum Corps is learning to take placement and scores with a grain of salt.