• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice reviews! I guess you didn't stay around for the Cabs Alumni exhibition, Peggly? Just curious what you may have thought about us. :tongue:

Nice reviews! I guess you didn't stay around for the Cabs Alumni exhibition, Peggly? Just curious what you may have thought about us. :tongue:

Since you guys were the only corps I really saw, let me toss in my two cents.

I've seen you guys three times this season, last Saturday at Kingston included. Saturday was BY FAR your best performance of the season! I don't know what somebody fed you all for dinner, but the energy level was amazing! The Kingston audience always loves Cabs Alumni anyway, and they know what to expect, but this year even they seemed pleasantly surprised! The horn line just rocked the town, taking full advantage of the effect the cool, clear weather had (In other words, they were LOUD! ! ! ! ). I wish I could offer some props to the drum line, but, seeing as I'm just an old mellophoner, I guess I didn't pay them much attention - Sorry.

And the guard added sooo much to the performance! They were (catching a theme here?) the best I've EVER seen them!

Edited by grenadasmoothie

Thanks, 'smoothie!' I can understand your concentrating on the horns, no offense taken. (Maybe watch the drums more closely next time! LOL!)

You're absolutely right about the guard. They have really stepped it up this year, and are a tremendous asset to the corps. They work very hard and it is really paying off. What a sharp-looking group they have become. Nice work, ladies!!! :tongue:

Thanks, 'smoothie!' I can understand your concentrating on the horns, no offense taken. (Maybe watch the drums more closely next time! LOL!)

You're absolutely right about the guard. They have really stepped it up this year, and are a tremendous asset to the corps. They work very hard and it is really paying off. What a sharp-looking group they have become. Nice work, ladies!!! :tongue:

John,

My "eye in the stands" said that this was one of the very best shows she's seen the alumni perform - and she's been around for a while.

More important (from your point of view), she said that the drums were "fabulous." And most important, if you hadn't noticed, the audience went wild after your solo.

Andy

John,

My "eye in the stands" said that this was one of the very best shows she's seen the alumni perform - and she's been around for a while.

More important (from your point of view), she said that the drums were "fabulous." And most important, if you hadn't noticed, the audience went wild after your solo.

Andy

John,

I forgot to mention... After the show I was talking with a member of the audience who had played snare in some small Hudson Valley corps many years ago (about my time, actually) and he commented on the sound of your snares. I've forgotten his exact words, but he said it was great to hear a drum line that didn't sound like it was playing on "a kitchen counter." He also commented favorably on your wearing drum slings, rather than the carriers.

The important thing is... This was his first show in "many, many years." "God willing, I'll be back next year."

Andy

Thank you, 'Mr. Roo' for the information. We felt it was a really good performance, and it's nice to hear that people appreciated it, especially at the conclusion of the big solo. :thumbup:

We tune our snares to sound like drums did in the 60's, 70's and 80's -- after all, that's the era of music and drill we're trying to emulate. The 'formica-counter' sound is prevalent in most modern competing corps. Not criticizing it -- but it's just not what we want for our sound. Slings and leg rests also fit the style of the era which we represent, so no carriers for us either.

Thank you, 'Mr. Roo' for the information. We felt it was a really good performance, and it's nice to hear that people appreciated it, especially at the conclusion of the big solo. :thumbup:

We tune our snares to sound like drums did in the 60's, 70's and 80's -- after all, that's the era of music and drill we're trying to emulate. The 'formica-counter' sound is prevalent in most modern competing corps. Not criticizing it -- but it's just not what we want for our sound. Slings and leg rests also fit the style of the era which we represent, so no carriers for us either.

I love it!!!

We tune our snares to sound like drums did in the 60's, 70's and 80's -- after all, that's the era of music and drill we're trying to emulate.

And here I thought you guys tuned those drums to sound like the Post 199 tables that you practice on???!!! Thanks for the update!!! :thumbup::thumbup::worthy::worthy:

Aw, c'mon Rich! Don't you know we tune the tables to match the drums? :tongue: