Why do the Judges matter?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that is the definition of The Madison Scouts.

Ho ho ho ho ho!!!!

WOW!!! Really, Madison??!!! They did that show when I marched!! In the 70's!!!

Really??? Has DCP become some place where band people and fans come to pretend a comprehension of drum corps?

Who could have guessed that this topic would end up bashing the Scouts. Very predictable! I am sorry the corps you support didn't get several standing ovations from the crowds attending live shows this season. Learn to live with it without bashing the Scouts.

Vic Russell

Who could have guessed that this topic would end up bashing the Scouts. Very predictable! I am sorry the corps you support didn't get several standing ovations from the crowds attending live shows this season. Learn to live with it without bashing the Scouts.

Vic Russell

Not bashing the Scouts themselves...bashing some fans who gush over this corps like it's one of the greatest in years :thumbup:

Vic Russell

I guess that's good if applause is the point of drum corps

Vic Russell

Seriously?? Bashing? I marched one of the greatest drum corps battles of all time against the Scouts and have nothing but the up most respect for the corps and the organization. Who did you march with? One of the things people who marched drum corps can do is have fun at each others expense without our panties taking a ride North. So who did you march with?

Vic Russell

Besides, you clearly missed my point.... :thumbup:

I am of the opinion that dropping the standard to appeal to the "masses" wil be the death of drum corps and encourage the use of gimmicky characters rather then content driven shows...I'll come bak later to see if my views survived or not.

I agree with this whole-heartedly, and I would not want to have anything to do with an activity where designers were handcuffed in a feeble attempt to appeal to the masses. One only needs to look at the Top selling popular music CD's or movies yearly to see that in general the paying public has absolutely horrible taste; it's no secrete that typically the Academy Awards often go to independent films, or smaller films that few have seen (like last year's "Hurt Locker" being the lowest grossing Best Picture Winner ever).

I think that if DCI corps tried to pander too much to the crowds, it would backfire and we'd end up with poorly designed half-assssssed products that just plain don't work for the most part. Madison Scouts have a good show this year, and I really like what they're doing, but that show definitely has a ceiling as to how high it will score due mostly to the lack of sophistication and originality in the design.

I again say that the judges/scores/ranking don't matter: enjoy what you like, be happy that some corps is designing shows for your sensibility, and who cares if your favorite show loses (or if a show you find boring wins).

WOW!!! Really, Madison??!!! They did that show when I marched!! In the 70's!!!

Really??? Has DCP become some place where band people and fans come to pretend a comprehension of drum corps?

They also believe GE = Entertainment.

I'm now off to listen to some Bulgarian throat singing... It's the bomb!!! Should win a Grammy because I like it.