Why do the Judges matter?

I think I finally understand why you continue to say this, Lance. Do you mean that the current method of judging is ridiculous, and not any judging?

If so, I think I can finally say I agree with your continually stating this.

any judging of marching band is ridiculous no matter the rubrics that judges use

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not saying I want fans to vote or to contribute in the judging process at all. Im simply saying that I wish drum corps would tailor their shows for audiences more, and to the judges less. Let the judges judge what they see, that is what they are (usually lol) best at. However, shows should be created based on entertainment FIRST and competition second. I think that if creativity and mind blowingly(?) cool drill and music would get people from across the nation to fall in love with the activity quicker than at its current pace.

But entertainment by who's standards?! I am VASTLY more entertained by Blue Devils this year than Madison Scouts. While I realize that I am in the minority, I would much rather see corps go for originality, try new concepts, etc. than retread on their former "glory years" by redoing a show from 35 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like Madison Scouts this year, and their show has grown on my more and more each viewing (via Fan Network). But I LOVE the fact that there is more variety in DCI than in most 'niche' entertainment fields, and it's great that fans can see two diverse shows such as Blue Devils and Scouts at one show.

Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes, and what you might find as highly entertaining others may be bored to tears.

any judging of marching band is ridiculous no matter the rubrics that judges use

Really, the entire activity is ridiculous, especially drum corps: kids spend a ton of money just to TRAVEL to winter camps, and then spend another couple thousand bucks to play the same 11 minute show for judges/crowds. And professional musician not into drum corps would laugh in the face of any other musician trying to tell you the benefits of PAYING thousands of dollars to play 30 or so 11.5 minute shows all over the region/country: on a football field, no less. As a legit form of music marching band (read also: drum corps) probably can't get closer to the bottom of the list of preferred musical performance options.

Really, the entire activity is ridiculous, especially drum corps: kids spend a ton of money just to TRAVEL to winter camps, and then spend another couple thousand bucks to play the same 11 minute show for judges/crowds. And professional musician not into drum corps would laugh in the face of any other musician trying to tell you the benefits of PAYING thousands of dollars to play 30 or so 11.5 minute shows all over the region/country: on a football field, no less. As a legit form of music marching band (read also: drum corps) probably can't get closer to the bottom of the list of preferred musical performance options.

dude... :lookaround:

However, shows should be created based on entertainment FIRST and competition second.

Entertainment according to who? One person likes the jazz club, someone else likes opera, another person prefers musical theater, and yet another the Symphony. How can you determine which is more entertaining without injecting your personal bias, or current level of understanding within the various genres? There are a lot of movies out there that appeal to the sophomoric instincts of teenagers, that get little critical acclaim because they're not very well produced or directed.

Entertainment according to who? One person likes the jazz club, someone else likes opera, another person prefers musical theater, and yet another the Symphony. How can you determine which is more entertaining without injecting your personal bias, or current level of understanding within the various genres?

Also, different people focus on different aspects of shows. I know a lot of perc people who don't care at all about the brass book, and colorguard people who don't care much about any of the music.

Others have pointed out this stuff before, and gotten dumped on for it. It's the way it works here.