Performance Order Matters

It's been one of my recurring mantras over that years that Performance Order Matters. There is an inherent advantage for going on later in the lineup, because there's less of a requirement to suppress scores at big show like Quarterfinals.

The case can be made this year using Troopers vs. Academy. The winner has never been the corps to go on first. There have been a couple of ties, but Academy's three wins have been in Arizona (home show, therefore on last), Atlanta (on after Troop), and Allentown (on after Troop). At every other show, Troop has gone on first and either beat or tied Academy.

I have no doubt that the two corps are essentially tied. I also have no doubt that Academy will beat Troop when the season in over because they are going on in 13th vs. Troop's 15th due to the Atlanta random draw and Allentown's slavish following of Atlanta's order. I also know that there's a statistical probability that every show has been accurate, but I still think it's improbable even when I try and remove the Troop Honk part of my personality.

I know that people will always disagree because this is DCP where critical discussion goes to die, but we have an arguable case of Performance Order Matters. I'd even consider doing a study if I had the time (which I don't).

It doesn't really matter because both corps are making the Theater Broadcast, but it's certainly food for thought.

Edited by Pinwiz

The winner has never been the corps to go on first.

///

Troop has gone on first and either beat or tied Academy.

:thumbup:

I'm pretty surprised by the judging discrepancies between these two corps, as well. In my opinion, Academy is above Troop. I'm not trying to start any conspiracy theory here, but I wonder if Academy is actually competing with the 2009 Troopers, instead of the 2010 edition. That is to say that judges are (perhaps subconsciously, perhaps not) thinking, "Hey, the Troopers made Finals last year...the Academy never has!" and allow these thoughts to bleed into the numbers.

I'm thinking that Academy will be above Troopers in the end. In my opinion, the shows with the better judges (Atlanta, Allentown) have put them on top, while it was the "lesser shows" with the lesser experienced judges that put Troop on top. With the top judges out for Finals week, Academy will get the nod.

Edited by Room_101

It's also better to play after the Sun goes down.

The case can be made this year using Troopers vs. Academy. The winner has never been the corps to go on first. There have been a couple of ties, but Academy's three wins have been in Arizona (home show, therefore on last), Atlanta (on after Troop), and Allentown (on after Troop). At every other show, Troop has gone on first and either beat or tied Academy.

I also know that there's a statistical probability that every show has been accurate, but I still think it's improbable even when I try and remove the Troop Honk part of my personality.

It doesn't really matter because both corps are making the Theater Broadcast, but it's certainly food for thought.

I'm wondering, had the situation between the Corps been reversed, would you be as passionate in support of The Academy?

A simular case could be made regarding the Academy and the Colts. Except in this case, performance placement. came down to the flip of a coin. Academy Won.

The competition between Academy/Troopers/Colts has been a horse race all season. Just glad all three will be part of the

Quarterfinals CineCast on Thursday. Enjoy! Oh, I should add, I Honk for The Academy.

It's been one of my recurring mantras over that years that Performance Order Matters. There is an inherent advantage for going on later in the lineup, because there's less of a requirement to suppress scores at big show like Quarterfinals.

I have no doubt that the two corps are essentially tied. I also have no doubt that Academy will beat Troop when the season in over because they are going on in 13th vs. Troop's 15th due to the Atlanta random draw and Allentown's slavish following of Atlanta's order. I also know that there's a statistical probability that every show has been accurate, but I still think it's improbable even when I try and remove the Troop Honk part of my personality.

I know that people will always disagree because this is DCP where critical discussion goes to die, but we have an arguable case of Performance Order Matters. I'd even consider doing a study if I had the time (which I don't).

I don't know if anyone has ever tried to dispute that performance order is pretty vital. However, I think what you've shown leads more to the conclusion that Troopers and Academy are pretty equal from a design and execution stand point, and on any given night either corps has a strong chance of winning. I think the middle of the pack (16-11 place) traditionally has been more completive than the other ends of the spectrum. Plus, corps membership at that level is more inconsistent and leads to performances where anyone can excel or diminish enough to move placement on any given night.

both corps have certain strengths and weaknesses. really it's going to come down to who is cleaner, and this is where I feel Academy has more rom to grow visually.

both corps are good, but I think Academy's show has more to offer from a visual standpoint, and that they will be ahead when the dust clears.