Blue Devils Hater No More

Don't know where all the BD hate comes from, but AFAIC, it's all misplaced and undeserved.

It's BD fans here not simply letting differing opinions be differing opinions. It's all about "you must see things our way" and "14!"

If this year's show is a paradigm shift, it will be proven over the next decade. Let us come to you, don't try and pull us along because we're not there yet or have legitimate issues with the GE scores.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's BD fans here not simply letting differing opinions be differing opinions. It's all about "you must see things our way" and "14!"

If this year's show is a paradigm shift, it will be proven over the next decade. Let us come to you, don't try and pull us along because we're not there yet or have legitimate issues with the GE scores.

I don't buy this at all. It's not like the BD haterade was only on tap here for the 2010 show, there was plenty of it in years past (for all sorts of various reasons, or excuses as the case may be).

It's so funny to read reviews where from the bottom all the way up there are nothing but positive comments followed by a tirade on why "BD sucks", or shouldn't be winning or whatever (happened in 2009 too, and before that as well).

I frankly don't care if people see what I see, but the gratuitous slams do get on my nerves. Don't like it? Cool. Call it "the worst show ever", or "an unpleasant mess", well that's different (and blatantly untrue).

In any case, I would like to hear what exactly is "legitimate" about your issues regarding GE. In my view, they are performing their program better than anyone else (and most even agree with that!), so what exactly is your issue?

I’ve been pretty hard on the Blue Devils for the past couple years. Whether it’s been musical selections I can’t stand, tuba lines I can’t hear, or uniform designs I can’t figure out, I’m more likely to speak out about what I hate about BD instead of what I like.

This year’s show is no exception, especially after they teased me with the joint offerings of a horn line on King horns AND a show of Stan Kenton music. If there’s one thing Devs do right, it’s Kenton. Imagine my disappointment when La Suerta de Los Tontos is barely even hinted at in the show, then imagine my horror when City of Glass, a composition people walked out on when it was debuted in 1947, turned out to be the centerpiece of the musical book.

Full post

OK...I thought this watching the simulcast last night and started to say so, but figured I'd be labeled a BD honk...which I kind of am. Star pushed the envelope in ways we didn't fathom in 93. I hated that show but could not look away. Now it seems almost consonant. We all know there is a reason why City of Glass has lain mostly dormant for fifty-ish years, but wow....what a tackling it got this summer.

Thanks for sharing the Cesario comment. I found it liberating. (vindicating)

Why am I’m not surprise that so many intellectual artists failed to understand my post. The post of an ‘average’ fan. Seems many can’t even figure out who it’s directed at or any of the implied multiple levels.

So how are these self-proclaimed, intellectual, un-accessible to the average fan, yet alone the average-not –yet-drum-corps-fan, shows going to grow the activity? Which some of these same corps claim is in such dire need of growing that they are willing to comprise DCI and go all G-7 for?

Some may say it’s a logic gap others would call it a lie

Honestly ... I've known many folks from the Blue Devils over the years that I either competed against, when to college with, were former band students of mine who marched there, etc., and have gotten to know a number of their present board members since I moved to the Bay Area. I've always thought BD was one of THE class organizations in the activity with an educational approach second to none.

Don't know where all the BD hate comes from, but AFAIC, it's all misplaced and undeserved.

I tend to agree but that 08 retreat left a bad taste in my mouth, about several corps, not just BD. I do question the values that are being taught in many of the corps now

and yeah, I've seen a lot of corps lose in a heartbreaker and still keep their composure on the field, we use to value discipline in uniform and some still do, thank you Cadets and others, you know who you are

Garry, the FYWW attitude seemed prevalent in the heavy ego driven attitudes of some (too many!) BD members of the early 80's. I haven't seen that attitude (excluding the ever always exceptions) in BD in decades.

And that has NEVER been "institutionalized" / taught in BD ... Jerry taught us that early on! If someone in our staff did that, they would not last for long!

Thanks, Jeff. Couldn't have said it better myself!

I tend to agree but that 08 retreat left a bad taste in my mouth, about several corps, not just BD. I do question the values that are being taught in many of the corps now

and yeah, I've seen a lot of corps lose in a heartbreaker and still keep their composure on the field, we use to value discipline in uniform and some still do, thank you Cadets and others, you know who you are

I thought we established long ago that BD wasn't involved in those shenanigans?

Garry, the FYWW attitude seemed prevalent in the heavy ego driven attitudes of some (too many!) BD members of the early 80's. I haven't seen that attitude (excluding the ever always exceptions) in BD in decades.

And that has NEVER been "institutionalized" / taught in BD ... Jerry taught us that early on! If someone in our staff did that, they would not last for long!

Thanks for responding, Jeff. You know I respect you and appreciate our friendship. You're as "inside" as anyone I know in the BD family, so your response is taken to heart.

I know Jerry would have dropped a bomb on anyone who represented the corps with that kind of attitude. He was a classy guy, just as Gail was in representing SCV.

I wish the FYWW would just disappear, and it seems the people who continue to foster it should really consider how their use of it reflects badly on the corps. I NEVER thought of it being fostered by staff. And you're right, there's always exceptions!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor