Open Class Quarterfinals - Michigan City

There are indeed good battles going on in the OC Div.

What the Spartans are doing this year is un-real. I just found out that at some shows the Spartans went on first or second and still scored real well. In fact they won their last show.

Spartans and Revolution looks very interesting. Was this the first show they went head to head this season?

Right now the battle between 7th Regiment and Legends is a good one. Although I will pick 7th over Legends. They have gone head to head 5 times and 7th won all five. And tied at the Aug 8th show. Yet Legends has closed the spread a little.

I see Colt Cadets in a solid 9th,yet, if Forte or Genesis (they tied by the way last night :tongue: ) puts on a show of their lives they could very well over take the Colt Cadets for the 9th position.

NO MORE TIES

Dean

Not surprised Spartans are doing so well because they are basically Citations.

Not surprised Spartans are doing so well because they are basically Citations.

No,the Citations were basically the Spartans

This years Spartans are mostly kids that have no drum corps experience, there are a few former Citations, some Spartans from the 2008 corps but by and large a new group of kids. Hard working kids, a great staff, great support staff, and a dedicated board of directors have brought this corps to the place they are at now. They are the pride of New Hampshire and Nashua. Continued good luck to them for the next 2 shows.

Dave Correia

RI Royal Lancers jr. corps 1962-69

RI Matadors sr corps 1969-87, Reunion 1999, Ensemble 2007

RI Generations sr corps 1995-2000, Mini corps 2009

Light Brigade Ltd., Revere MA 2008 RIP

MA Legends of Drum Corps 2008-????

Interesting, I thought the past couple years they always bragged they had large crowds in Michigan City for this show.

I was not there last year... So, I have no perspective based on prior years. But, based on shows in So. Cal, and No. Cal, I think that this was the least well attended. I also want to point out that several shows that I attended were basically Open Class, and All Age with almost no world class corps. What I will say on the positive side, is that the venues for practice and the local people are wonderful. I would love to see DCI move the championships around and try to get more widespread attendance. The current set of shows seem like they may be ok for WC, but not for open. And I would argue that even the west coast WC corps fans get the short end of the stick. IE, Vanguard's and BD's shows were not complete before they left CA, and even BDB has a lot of changes. Crusaders have improved wonderfully, and their home fans don't get to enjoy them live and loud later in the season.

I was not there last year... So, I have no perspective based on prior years. But, based on shows in So. Cal, and No. Cal, I think that this was the least well attended. I also want to point out that several shows that I attended were basically Open Class, and All Age with almost no world class corps. What I will say on the positive side, is that the venues for practice and the local people are wonderful. I would love to see DCI move the championships around and try to get more widespread attendance. The current set of shows seem like they may be ok for WC, but not for open. And I would argue that even the west coast WC corps fans get the short end of the stick. IE, Vanguard's and BD's shows were not complete before they left CA, and even BDB has a lot of changes. Crusaders have improved wonderfully, and their home fans don't get to enjoy them live and loud later in the season.

Absolutely. How many times has the West Coast gotten to experience a World Class show (by any WC Corps) after the first week of July...in the past ten years? Once? Twice?

Come on DCI...throw us a bone. At least hold the Open Class Championships in Calif every four years or so...surely, you will get more attendance.

Cali.

Absolutely. How many times has the West Coast gotten to experience a World Class show (by any WC Corps) after the first week of July...in the past ten years? Once? Twice?

Come on DCI...throw us a bone. At least hold the Open Class Championships in Calif every four years or so...surely, you will get more attendance.

Cali.

You said it!! I think that DCI should move the championships around the country and try to get a lot more fans. But, would I ever like to see shows on the west coast in August and late July!

I agree, the current set of shows are not OK for the OC Div. To me, the OC Div for the most part must become weekend only Corps. Except the week before finals. Wherever they may be held. They must stay regional until finals. One important issue to me is the Corps must be paid. It is a catch 22 however. If shows are not well attended, how can a Corps get paid without the sponsor loosing money?

I was a strong advocate in having the OC Finals at the same site of the WC Finals. I thought doing it this way would increase their attendance. It is clear to me, that this approach is not working for whatever reason. So why keep doing the same old, same old when trying to get a different result? I would agree that having OC Finals out west would be a very good thing. However, there must be paying shows taking them out west and back. I know that the OC West coast are coming out east for the finals without the luxury of getting paid. I applaud all of those Corps for doing this. I also know that this has become harder and harder to do. I think that having an OC Finals in Canada would also be a good draw.

From what people are saying on here that attendance for the OC shows in Indy will not be well attended. So What! Does one really think the young kats are going to look in the stands, see that the show is not well attended and say as a family that they are only going to give 100%. I don't think so. The young people will be giving 110% or better no matter how many fans are in the stands. Why do I know this? Because the kids on the field today in OC are carrying on the great history and legacy of this great Div. I would expect nothing less from these Young Kids. And they will not disappoint anyone Championship weekend.

I agree, the current set of shows are not OK for the OC Div. To me, the OC Div for the most part must become weekend only Corps. Except the week before finals. Wherever they may be held. They must stay regional until finals. One important issue to me is the Corps must be paid. It is a catch 22 however. If shows are not well attended, how can a Corps get paid without the sponsor loosing money?

I was a strong advocate in having the OC Finals at the same site of the WC Finals. I thought doing it this way would increase their attendance. It is clear to me, that this approach is not working for whatever reason. So why keep doing the same old, same old when trying to get a different result? I would agree that having OC Finals out west would be a very good thing. However, there must be paying shows taking them out west and back. I know that the OC West coast are coming out east for the finals without the luxury of getting paid. I applaud all of those Corps for doing this. I also know that this has become harder and harder to do. I think that having an OC Finals in Canada would also be a good draw.

From what people are saying on here that attendance for the OC shows in Indy will not be well attended. So What! Does one really think the young kats are going to look in the stands, see that the show is not well attended and say as a family that they are only going to give 100%. I don't think so. The young people will be giving 110% or better no matter how many fans are in the stands. Why do I know this? Because the kids on the field today in OC are carrying on the great history and legacy of this great Div. I would expect nothing less from these Young Kids. And they will not disappoint anyone Championship weekend.

they may not give any less, but it IS gonna be sad/lame when they watch a video of it later and hear the rowdy crowd of 100 going nuts than will sound like only a golf clap. trust me. i've been there, done that. as fun and awesome as it was to get to perform on the same field Div 1 did in Madison in 06, i enjoyed it a LOT more when we got our own, smaller venue that was PACKED with fans.

I just found out that at some shows the Spartans went on first or second and still scored real well.

The Spartans had to go on first at most all of their shows, at lest until Michigan City because they were inactive last year. DCI rules puts them on first at most all of their shows.

But I agree, they defiantly came out swinging this year after being inactive.

Edited by mcloven