Stop Using Crappy Synths!

This is not an anti-synth/electronics rant.

Instead, this is a matter of taste. So many corps ashamedly try to make their synths sound "natural" and like real instruments. This is stupid because synths notoriously sound fake or, get this... synthetic! Really ###### midi piano sounds and string sounds make me squirm in my seat.

There are so many quality synths out there to use, but they don't sound like real instruments, and that is exactly why they are good. They sound like an original sound and can really add to the show. Instead, the corps uses a keyboard which usually has awful samples built in.

Furthermore, the use of filters can really do a lot for the sound quality. The bluecoats run their soloist (later in the show) through a filter and it creates a great effect. Filters could be used on the entire pit to many great creative results. Instead the corps play it very safe and go at it with their half-###ed midi keyboards.

Not surprisingly, the corps that make the boldest use of synths are in the top 3. The Blue Devils don't hold back at all and deliver a show that is ahead of its time and highly experimental.

The major acts in the electro scene today prove that electronics don't have to be cheesy, shrill, or annoying. Take a listen to groups like Daft Punk, Justice, Royksopp, Simian Mobile Disco, Deadmau5... the list goes on. The production value is there and modern drum corps is severly lacking in that arena.

Many don't like The Blue Devils this year, but their production value is miles ahead of the rest. If other corps don't get the picture, we may have a long BD-dominated streak ahead of us.

Here's some proof. It's Daft Punk's music to Tron Legacy which will be in theaters this fall or winter.

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy

This is not an anti-synth/electronics rant.

Instead, this is a matter of taste. So many corps ashamedly try to make their synths sound "natural" and like real instruments. This is stupid because synths notoriously sound fake or, get this... synthetic! Really sh*tty midi piano sounds and string sounds make me squirm in my seat.

There are so many quality synths out there to use, but they don't sound like real instruments, and that is exactly why they are good. They sound like an original sound and can really add to the show. Instead, the corps uses a keyboard which usually has awful samples built in.

Furthermore, the use of filters can really do a lot for the sound quality. The bluecoats run their soloist (later in the show) through a filter and it creates a great effect. Filters could be used on the entire pit to many great creative results. Instead the corps play it very safe and go at it with their half-###ed midi keyboards.

Not surprisingly, the corps that make the boldest use of synths are in the top 3. The Blue Devils don't hold back at all and deliver a show that is ahead of its time and highly experimental.

The major acts in the electro scene today prove that electronics don't have to be cheesy, shrill, or annoying. Take a listen to groups like Daft Punk, Justice, Royksopp, Simian Mobile Disco, Deadmau5... the list goes on. The production value is there and modern drum corps is severly lacking in that arena.

Many don't like The Blue Devils this year, but their production value is miles ahead of the rest. If other corps don't get the picture, we may have a long BD-dominated streak ahead of us.

Here's some proof. It's Daft Punk's music to Tron Legacy which will be in theaters this fall or winter.

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy

It appears to me that you are suggesting that, because the top 3 are heavily using electronics, that they are..well, the top 3?

If that's the state of affairs in DRUM and BUGLES corps, let's just let it die now...

I would have like to hear the Scouts without the sinth backup for the tuba Section.

I would have like to hear the Scouts without the sinth backup for the tuba Section.

I TOTALLY agree with this! 20 Tubas? Let them ROCK baby!!!!!

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

The only reason I know Royksopp is that they're on the FIFA '10 soundtrack...

I look at it kind of the same - I think if you've got synths, then use them for all new sounds and textures - not just to double 4-part brass harmony. If anything, I think my major beef is with the amp / speakers corps use - the sounds coming out are way too thin / muffled sounding compared to the acoustic sounds around them.

Mike

How about ####can them altogether?

The only reason I know Royksopp is that they're on the FIFA '10 soundtrack...

I look at it kind of the same - I think if you've got synths, then use them for all new sounds and textures - not just to double 4-part brass harmony. If anything, I think my major beef is with the amp / speakers corps use - the sounds coming out are way too thin / muffled sounding compared to the acoustic sounds around them.

Mike

I agree with this entirely. The synths aren't blended in with the rest of the show so it sounds like a strange foreign sound. I think the super-low bass padding is pretty effective though and typically fits the entire ensemble sound pretty well. I was really impressed with Boston's pre-show opening thing with a similar bass effect. Pretty sick.

I just think that electronics can be used to really boost the overall production value of a show but right now designers don't know jack **** about synths and probably need to hire somebody that knows a thing or two about electronic sound production, buy the right equipment, and step things up a lot. Blue Devils have done well this year as far as synthetic sound production goes and I think it comes across well. Their show is very experimental like that.

I just think that electronics can be used to really boost the overall production value of a show but right now designers don't know jack **** about synths and probably need to hire somebody that knows a thing or two about electronic sound production, buy the right equipment, and step things up a lot.

I tend to agree with this.

It is almost like they are all copying each other (wouldn't be the first time) and feel the need to include some synth sounds whether they make sense or sound well during the portion of the show or not. "xxxxx has synths," (enter corps name here) " Go out and get us some of them." It seemed weirder to me but the shows this year really seemed to have more variety, but yet they all seemed to manage to include non-natural synthetic sounds in their shows.

maybe this will be another passing fad like singing Broadway style over a mike. (I will not even mention the horrendous "scatting" human drum sounds from a couple of years ago.)

I completely agree with the OP.

I do not like synths and amplification in drum corps. But if that is the instrumentation these days, then the corps should really use them to much, much greater effect. Instead, most corps just append them onto the pit to provide a few extra timbres here and there. What a waste of money, and lack of creativity.

These machines can create any sound imaginable, and they can be projected at any volume level. New sounds never heard before can be created. Alternatively, these machines allow arrangers to remain more faithful to source material, as the instruments can approximate the sounds of the original instrumentation far better than mallet percussion. There is no need for four marimbas and three vibes in a pit, that is completely silly if you stop to really think about it -- amplification means one of each should suffice. Three-or-four part marimba harmony is one of the drum corps idiom's most ridiculous inventions. Heck, corps probably could even do without timpani, depending on the style of show -- just use samples a few times if needed.

Eventually, some corps will really go for it, and will come out with a majority electronic pit. When grounded pit instruments were legalized in the 80's, it took about 5 years before corps really started to integrate the new sound pallet into shows. We'll probably see a similar learning curve here. Some corps likely will really butcher things, but one corps is going to figure out some very cool new ideas.