Why adding woodwinds won't work in drum corps

With all the talk on DCP about Mr. Hopkins wanting to add woodwinds we're not looking at the real reasons it wouldn't work.

Instead of Drum Corps you now have bands. No matter what you call it, its a band. So as a high school director who has a large and successful program in say BOA or one of the other large circuits could think why wouldn't I take my band into the summer. Gold started as a band. So now instead of getting alot of good players they stay with thier program.

These programs since they march YEAR ROUND, they have more practice time. Also since its a summer activity they would be able to draw from surrounding schools. Could you see Avon beating Blue knights or Centerville beating Bluecoats. They could most likely beat alot of the lower tier corps.

College programs could do the same thing. Cost ot them would be less because thier already in other circuits and would only have to travel to 15-20 shows a year instead of 25-30 other "corps" do now.

Serious woodwind player are more orchestral and may not even be interested in joining a corps when they could do other summer programs at less cost.

You can't hear woodwinds on the field. EVen with mics the horn line would still overpower them.

Drum corps fans aren't interested in hearing woodwinds on the same field as a drum corps.

The only way it could work is as another division.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the talk on DCP about Mr. Hopkins wanting to add woodwinds we're not looking at the real reasons it wouldn't work.

Instead of Drum Corps you now have bands. No matter what you call it, its a band. So as a high school director who has a large and successful program in say BOA or one of the other large circuits could think why wouldn't I take my band into the summer. Gold started as a band. So now instead of getting alot of good players they stay with thier program.

These programs since they march YEAR ROUND, they have more practice time. Also since its a summer activity they would be able to draw from surrounding schools. Could you see Avon beating Blue knights or Centerville beating Bluecoats. They could most likely beat alot of the lower tier corps.

College programs could do the same thing. Cost ot them would be less because thier already in other circuits and would only have to travel to 15-20 shows a year instead of 25-30 other "corps" do now.

Serious woodwind player are more orchestral and may not even be interested in joining a corps when they could do other summer programs at less cost.

You can't hear woodwinds on the field. EVen with mics the horn line would still overpower them.

Drum corps fans aren't interested in hearing woodwinds on the same field as a drum corps.

The only way it could work is as another division.

LOL drum corps ARE bands. I don't know what else they could be.

I would also think serious brass players are more orchestral too.

There are already woodwind players in drum corps. They mostly play baritone. :tongue:

I personally know three different saxophonists who marched top-level corps. One of them even marched the 93 Star show.

There are already woodwind players in drum corps. They mostly play baritone. :tongue:

I personally know three different saxophonists who marched top-level corps. One of them even marched the 93 Star show.

That's what I did. I learned it for drum corps. But I don't really see a problem letting woodwinds into it. Who cares?

But I don't really see a problem letting woodwinds into it. Who cares?

People who enjoy the sound of drums and horns only?

They don't count :tongue:

Besides, if you guys really can't hear the woodwinds, there really should be no difference

Unless they decide to change the member limit, the hornlines would get smaller since they've had to make room for all the flutes, clarinets, saxophones, etc. And like you said, the woodwinds aren't gonna be heard, anyway...so why add them in the first place? It'll just take away from the size of the brass section and add nothing to the show.

They don't count :tongue:

Besides, if you guys really can't hear the woodwinds, there really should be no difference

I like the sound of woodwinds...... they make a nice crackling sound when used as kindling. :thumbup:

Funny as Hades that most non-brass end up playing Bari, know of two people who moved from guard to hornline that way.