Why adding woodwinds won't work in drum corps

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about how you felt about all that stuff, I know it's there. It just doesn't really bother me.

Well thats because you marched corps in an era when it had already been screwed up.

Not your fault and I love Spirits 05 show.

If you had the chance to go back and march corps in the late 80s you would be blown away by how much more electric the whole activity was. More corps, more shows, bigger crowds. The whole experience has been watered down.

There are no more regional competitions like DCM or DCE. I remember the fun of going to DCI Canada and marching on a canadian football field. I remember full retreat every night.

Its sad but the activity is just a shadow of what it was just 15 years ago.

Well thats because you marched corps in an era when it had already been screwed up.

Not your fault and I love Spirits 05 show.

If you had the chance to go back and march corps in the late 80s you would be blown away by how much more electric the whole activity was. More corps, more shows, bigger crowds. The whole experience has been watered down.

There are no more regional competitions like DCM or DCE. I remember the fun of going to DCI Canada and marching on a canadian football field. I remember full retreat every night.

Its sad but the activity is just a shadow of what it was just 15 years ago.

Thank you for the compliments (I liked 07 better, but I appreciate it :tongue:)

I'm sure you're right, but I had a really enjoyable drum corps experience without all that too. Apples and oranges, I suppose

Thank you for the compliments (I liked 07 better, but I appreciate it :tongue:)

I'm sure you're right, but I had a really enjoyable drum corps experience without all that too. Apples and oranges, I suppose

I have no doubt. I am sure the kids today are enjoying corps and having a great experience with it.

But they have no idea how much better it could have been, which maybe is a good thing.

I have no doubt. I am sure the kids today are enjoying corps and having a great experience with it.

But they have no idea how much better it could have been, which maybe is a good thing.

I'm sure my contemporaries will be saying the same thing in 15 years or so :tongue:

1. Reeds — They break. A lot. Do we really need another $$$ drain on the corps?

2. Rain — How many times did we rehearse in the rain when we needed the practice? I know we did multiple times. With woodwinds? No more.

3. Horn moves — A horns-to-the-box doesn't have the same effect with a flute.

4. Numbers — This isn't real math but I'd wager it takes 30+ saxophones to match the volume of 12 mellophones.

Edited by SF2K4

1. Reeds — They break. A lot. Do we really need another $$$ drain on the corps?

2. Rain — How many times did we rehearse in the rain when we needed the practice? I know we did multiple times. With woodwinds? No more.

3. Horn moves — A horns-to-the-box doesn't have the same effect with a flute.

4. Numbers — This isn't real math but I'd wager it takes 30+ saxophones to match the volume of 12 mellophones.

disagree on 4.

still don't want them on the field, though.

No sir. Having worked for the OSU Marching Band I can assure you it is not a corps... they follow the voicing patterns of British Brass Bands which includes a large emphasis on Eb cornets and Bb flugelhorns....

As such, there is very rarely a pit, only at the discretion of the week's halftime show. Usually timpani, gong, and chimes are the most likely instruments; no marimbas or vibes. The scoring of OSU music is also different from a corps style: Eb Cornet; Solo Trumpet; 1st, 2nd Trumpets; Flugelhorn; Mello 1 and 2; Trombone 1 and 2; Bass Trombone; Baritone (sometimes 1 and 2); and Sousaphone.

Depending on the corps, there are usually only 3 trumpet parts, sometimes 4; 2 or 3 mello parts; 2 or 3 bari parts; a euph part; and contra.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does that mean that OSU's arrangements are actually richer than corps arrangements?

Also, just look at OSU's band. Could they ever be considered a corps? Look at the marching style and the uniforms. Complete polar opposites of what define a corps.

Well, that's what I've been trying to figure out -- what exactly defines a corps, in contrast to a band? Clearly it's not lack of woodwinds: several marching bands lack woodwinds. What combination of marching style, uniforms, instrumentation, arrangement, etc. makes drum corps what it is?