2010 Finals Booing?

The suggestion that drum corps fans booed BD because BD keeps winning is misguided, methinks.

I'm sure that is true for a minority, but I'm guessing nary a boo would have been heard had BD played, say, Madison's repertoire (and arrangements).

Sounds just as much like speculation as what I said :thumbup:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that booing shouldn't happen in drum corps or marching band/indoor wgi... but if I go to another dci finals and hear one more person squeal/hang over/hack their way through "battle hymn/america/whatever" tune at the end, I WILL boo, and I do believe it deserves a strong BOO if that happens. If they want OUR respect, please have a little more respect in what you are playing. I know it's about the shows we're discussing, but corps members that do that have NO respect, in my opinion, for what they are playing and what they are representing. I do not believe DCI regulates the quality of the full encore performances and there should be consequences for all of the childish behavior that goes on with those individuals who think it's "ok" to do those things. But that's just me.

I know many fans love it... but when I was in Bloomington in 2008 - there were definitely some *questionable sounds that were displayed in that encore. * I know that was already discussed and I don't mean to bring back old topics - but if we're talking about giving the corps respect they deserve, where do we draw the line?

Ummmm, yes. Only a brass player would find it 'funny' to make something they were playing sound so terrible. If there was an en masse percussion jam, or an all guard twirl-a-thon at the end of retreat, I'd bet the horse that those kids would make it sound/look great. Period. You wouldn't hear a snare play an extra 4 counts of roll or see a rifle throw an extra 8 at the end of the piece just for funsies. Why? Because we understand that being dirty is never acceptable. Pssht, silly brass.... :thumbup:

Ummmm, yes. Only a brass player would find it 'funny' to make something they were playing sound so terrible. If there was an en masse percussion jam, or an all guard twirl-a-thon at the end of retreat, I'd bet the horse that those kids would make it sound/look great. Period. You wouldn't hear a snare play an extra 4 counts of roll or see a rifle throw an extra 8 at the end of the piece just for funsies. Why? Because we understand that being dirty is never acceptable. Pssht, silly brass.... :thumbup:

http://blog.linux.gen.nz/wp-content/upload...8/07/ysosrs.jpg

Self esteem... boo hoo..... Classless...boohoo....morally reprehensible.... boohoo...

I'm completely amazed at how much some of the people on this forum are sooo hypersensitive.....

Who the heck are you to tell someone that they cant boo.... Who the heck are you to tell thousands of people that they cant boo? Instead of pointing fingers at the boo'ers, why don't you point a finger at the cause?....

You are too busy coddling the performers feelings that you cant begin to think objectively.....

Understand that this doesn't only happen during finals week, but it also happens at countless shows across the nation. People are tired of the judging system, plain and simple.... AND, people pay to watch these shows... If they are disappointed in the outcome of a show/product, and they voice it, are they really wrong?

These kids are smart enough to realize where this energy is directed. Im sure they go through things ten times as worse back home with their sports teams, school life, etc.....

If you're tough enough and smart enough to stick out 8+ weeks of a brutal summer, then im sure you're tough enough and smart enough to take some fan disagreement. If you cant take fan disagreement, then chances are, you've talked to someone on "The View" or someone on this thread. :(

SUCK IT UP!

Self esteem... boo hoo..... Classless...boohoo....morally reprehensible.... boohoo...

I'm completely amazed at how much some of the people on this forum are sooo hypersensitive.....

Who the heck are you to tell someone that they cant boo.... Who the heck are you to tell thousands of people that they cant boo? Instead of pointing fingers at the boo'ers, why don't you point a finger at the cause?....

You are too busy coddling the performers feelings that you cant begin to think objectively.....

Understand that this doesn't only happen during finals week, but it also happens at countless shows across the nation. People are tired of the judging system, plain and simple.... AND, people pay to watch these shows... If they are disappointed in the outcome of a show/product, and they voice it, are they really wrong?

These kids are smart enough to realize where this energy is directed. Im sure they go through things ten times as worse back home with their sports teams, school life, etc.....

If you're tough enough and smart enough to stick out 8+ weeks of a brutal summer, then im sure you're tough enough and smart enough to take some fan disagreement. If you cant take fan disagreement, then chances are, you've talked to someone on "The View" or someone on this thread. :(

SUCK IT UP!

I think you confuse the word "can't" with "shouldn't"

I also think you vastly overestimate what impact booing has on anything. I don't remember people booing my show (people don't really boo a 12th place show), but it probably would've have been funny.

I think you confuse the word "can't" with "shouldn't"

I also think you vastly overestimate what impact booing has on anything. I don't remember people booing my show (people don't really boo a 12th place show), but it probably would've have been funny.

I think I placed that word correctly, considering what people were saying earlier about the "boo'ers".

Also, I don't think booing is a problem, or a giant issue, which was the point of the entire posting :) The problem is the people lambasting those who voice their opinions.

I think I placed that word correctly, considering what people were saying earlier about the "boo'ers".

Also, I don't think booing is a problem, or a giant issue, which was the point of the entire posting :) The problem is the people lambasting those who voice their opinions.

That is called an internet forum. That's what people do on these things.

This is exactly what I thought would happen if a booee came here and admit that they booed. Just like the BD members and staff will ignore those who booed and move on, the booees will do the same to anyone who opposes them. You can look down on those who booed and call them disrespectful or an 'oaf' or what have you, but it won't change their views on the outcome. The same way their booing won't make the BD members feel they weren't any good or whatever message the booers are trying to get across. Nobody wins! And that's the problem here. This discussion will die eventually, but it will never peacefully resolve with everyone agreeing to disagree.

I do believe that booing shouldn't happen in drum corps or marching band/indoor wgi... but if I go to another dci finals and hear one more person squeal/hang over/hack their way through "battle hymn/america/whatever" tune at the end, I WILL boo, and I do believe it deserves a strong BOO if that happens. If they want OUR respect, please have a little more respect in what you are playing. I know it's about the shows we're discussing, but corps members that do that have NO respect, in my opinion, for what they are playing and what they are representing. I do not believe DCI regulates the quality of the full encore performances and there should be consequences for all of the childish behavior that goes on with those individuals who think it's "ok" to do those things. But that's just me.

I know many fans love it... but when I was in Bloomington in 2008 - there were definitely some *questionable sounds that were displayed in that encore. * I know that was already discussed and I don't mean to bring back old topics - but if we're talking about giving the corps respect they deserve, where do we draw the line?

I guess that I am a bit old fashioned. I agree with much of your post, but I find poor sportsmanship to be offensive. Not illegal, just poor behavior. Those that want to boo have a right to do so, But as I mentioned, the consequences will include a lot of people that are disgusted with that kind of behavior. I am not trying to change anyone's perspective... just expressing mine.

I do find it interesting that your defense of booing is based in booing an encore or the retreat playing. 2008 has been discussed to death, but did you boo the other corps that played wrong notes? How about booing the retreat? I doubt it.

yeah. I mean I've been vocal in my dislike of BD's show, but in my many trips to finals, I never saw the stands empty before the victory run like they did last night. But I never heard a boo and I was around the 35.

now i did hear more than a few comments in the concourse, but no actual booing

The booing came through loud and clear on DCI's live webcast.