Is it ok to "boo"

To Boo or Not to Boo  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's acceptable to boo?

• Yes
    • No

Question:

Do you think the situation's deteriorating / getting worse? I've heard booing at many many shows over the years, mostly in support of the corps whose score was just announced (i.e. booing because their score should have been higher or placement higher). One moment stands out as the most booing I ever heard:

1991, "preview of champions" in Madison. Recall, that year Star and Cavies finished 1-2, both at Preview, and at Finals. Anyway, after Cavies were announced in 2nd place, prolonged and loud booing from the big crowd. The announcer (and I think it was actually Brandt), actually said over the public address system: "That's uncalled for." Then the booing got Louder.

Can anyone back me up on this - want to make sure my memory is correct.

Anyway....I never experienced anything like that since. So I'm not sure things are getting worse progressively in terms of audience booing. I know this doesn't contribute to the debate over whether it's ok, rather there were a few posters with the opinon that it's worse than before.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it ok for 100,000 Michigan fans to boo the 18-22 year old "kids" on the Ohio State football team when they run onto the field?

if you are going to use "kids" as the qualifier, there is no difference. The OSU "kids" bust their butts working towards the OSU-Michigan game. Sure it's football, but it's also a competitive "sport"..just like drum corps...

Except a number of those players have scholarships, basically doing college for free (or greatly reduced) and are expected to perform to justify those scholarships.

You also have alums who donate large sums of money and expect results (I think it was someone in LA who said that if UCLA only beats USC and Notre Dame, the alums would be happy and open the wallets)

Lastly, college football is, in some respects, an advance job interview for NFL teams.

NONE of this applies to drum corps performers.

The RIGHT to boo doesn't mean it's appropriate to do so...I will again point you to the recollections of a Star alum earlier in this thread...and to others by OTHER Star alums.

It...is...wrong...to...boo...drum...corps...PERIOD.

You don't like a show? Fine...my thoughts on Cadets 07 are right out there...I gave them applause for their spectacular efforts (because without the excessive narration the show was exactly that), but if you feel like actually booing, just do everyone a favor and STFU.

Edited by 84BDsop

what about booing Band Corps ?

:thumbup:

No. For me, it's not just a matter of civility; it's about ineffective communication. Booing the corps on the field only sends a message that you're booing the corps on the field. There's no way for them, or anyone else, to "interpret" what those boos are supposed to mean, so in the end, all it does is make the booers feel better for about five seconds, and the booees feel bad for a lifetime.

Good points.

I don't boo corps I don't care for.. whatever the reason (issues I have with a corps' management's decisions, etc.). They might get a polite round of applause from me at best, but no booing.

Except a number of those players have scholarships, basically doing college for free (or greatly reduced) and are expected to perform to justify those scholarships.

You also have alums who donate large sums of money and expect results (I think it was someone in LA who said that if UCLA only beats USC and Notre Dame, the alums would be happy and open the wallets)

Lastly, college football is, in some respects, an advance job interview for NFL teams.

NONE of this applies to drum corps performers.

The RIGHT to boo doesn't mean it's appropriate to do so...I will again point you to the recollections of a Star alum earlier in this thread...and to others by OTHER Star alums.

You don't like a show? Fine...my thoughts on Cadets 07 are right out there...I gave them applause for their spectacular efforts (because without the excessive narration the show was exactly that), but if you feel like actually booing, just do everyone a favor and STFU.

Well said.

And to those who say they're not booing the "kids" they're booing the designers....would you boo the New York Philharmonic if they put together a concert and you did not like their selections? I guarantee you would have paid good money to see them perform....doesn't give you a right to boo them

How do you think the kids in the corps that beat the Scouts would feel? C'mon.

I marched in Glassmen in 1998 when we beat the Scouts at Finals.

There was quite a bit of booing, but I doubt that any member in my corps was offended in any way...

Besides, there was a huge applause for us when we were announced in 5th place that year. Many of those who booed Madison's 6th place also applauded us. I think most of us knew there was no one up there booing the Glassmen... they would have booed regardless of Madison's placement unless they won.

Even as a Glassmen member, I was (and AM) still a huge fan of Madison. Even though I was proud to have bested one of my favorite corps that day, I knew the booing was coming and even laughed at it because it was so predictable :D

Never ever thought of it as any disrespect to me...

I marched in Glassmen in 1998 when we beat the Scouts at Finals.

There was quite a bit of booing, but I doubt that any member in my corps was offended in any way...

Besides, there was a huge applause for us when we were announced in 5th place that year. Many of those who booed Madison's 6th place also applauded us. I think most of us knew there was no one up there booing the Glassmen... they would have booed regardless of Madison's placement unless they won.

Even as a Glassmen member, I was (and AM) still a huge fan of Madison. Even though I was proud to have bested one of my favorite corps that day, I knew the booing was coming and even laughed at it because it was so predictable :D

Never ever thought of it as any disrespect to me...

How about if that booing had happened during or immediately after your performance??

How about if that booing had happened during or immediately after your performance??

Then, honestly, I would have been pretty upset. My last year was 2000 and in 2001 the "Glassmen are Boring" crap really was full-fledged... I took that personally and I didn't even march that season :P I'm even still pretty miffed that the corps itself played into the 'boring' thing by making t-shirts and things... but that's another issue for a different discussion.

My response above was in general reference to someone saying that booing during scores/retreat made people upset. They booed Madison's score, but we still got a great applause, so no, I knew they were booing Madison's finish, not us for finishing higher than them.

Then that means they hate you, personally. Yes, you the kid playing the 4th tuba from the left.

Nope, still not buying it - it means the crowd didn't like the show the corps' designers put out there. It has nothing, nothing to do with the kids. And, I've never seen this happen. Are you saying BD was booed during or at the end of their show last night?

OK, if we want to crowd the opportunity to cheer each and every corps, and the kids to get some love, then lets bring back trooping the stands at the end of each performance. Maybe that's one old rule that we shouldn't have done away with.