Marie Czapinski

leave the Vaderland alone, please! they're still trying to get over losing another World Cup championship...

I have Dutch relatives and always root for the Orange after the RW&B is eliminated! Quite a run--tough finish.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Dutch relatives and always root for the Orange after the RW&B is eliminated! Quite a run--tough finish.

they've always been my team since i started watching back in the 90's. my great-great-great grandfather came over from Amsterdam to Ellis Island during the mass immigrations of Eastern Europe after the Civil War. Futbol is my secret special way of reconnecting to the past (yes i'm weird like that).

/me on topic

URGH! BURN THE WITCH!

Yet this is a criticism of Czapinski.

This just seems the antithesis of the "we don't like slotting" arguments. Well, which way do we want it? Call it like you see it night to night....or keep the nice slotting process and increase every score in every caption 0.1 each night, therefore making the first show of the season the most important?

As a homer for your corps (and I LOVE PR too), is it possible you're a little too close to the subject? Can't everyone find judges who have it out for their corps too?

This is at the back of my mind as well. Notwithstanding that Czapinskis have a bit of a reputation for playing favorites, what to me is more abhorrent and implausible is scores being more or less "straight lined". Apparently we are to believe that the balance among the corps is so surgically precise that every caption tends to also line up from top to bottom, as though no one ever has a particularly strong caption. It does happen but is the exception rather than the rule. The idea that Corps X has the Xth place corps in every caption is ridiculous. Vegas oddsmakers would choke the convenience of how things play out in an activity which is dependent on the performance of 150 individuals night to night.

In reality it points to an alarmingly bald faced groupthink fostered and encouraged by the fact that DCI and judging has never been independent of the individual corps as it should be. (see Lee Rudnicki) Mavericks have a very short life span in the DCI judging ranks, microscopically brief if you are goring one of the top 3 power brokers corps. This isnt suggestive of conspiracy (which is the typical strawman thrown up about this time) but self interest guiding people who like their gig to do whats likely to make sure theyre asked back.

Would truly independent judges change things radically? Probably not. But they would produce a different result and in a "sport" where missing the brass ring means taking the long dirt nap known as going inactive, the activity would probably be more diverse and healthier for it.

Just insert an judge's name here_____________ then complain.

Every year, if your corps dosen't win, it's always the judges fault.

I'll tell you this, the "GREAT" composer Richard Saucedo, now DCI Judge did not have a great year. He was up and down with World Class numbers, people complained on DCP whenever he judged and he was all over the map this season in Open Class too.

Take a look at his numbers and other judges this year and toss Marie in there too.

There is no perfect sytem, it is what it is.

I'm neither the grammar nor the etiquette Police, but some of you are calling her Ms. Czapinski.

And since she is married (I think) to Gary Czapinksi, wouldn't that make her Mrs. Czapinksi?

I'm neither the grammar nor the etiquette Police, but some of you are calling her Ms. Czapinski.

And since she is married (I think) to Gary Czapinksi, wouldn't that make her Mrs. Czapinksi?

It depends. Women who prefer "Ms." use it because they want a neutral designation that doesn't reflect their marital status (just as "Mr." does for men). Married and unmarried women alike may choose to use that designation.

That title has been amended over the years and it is now correct to use "Ms." in front of a married woman's name.

There you go again pointing out facts and reality. That has no place in DCI.

:thumbup:

This is at the back of my mind as well. Notwithstanding that Czapinskis have a bit of a reputation for playing favorites, what to me is more abhorrent and implausible is scores being more or less "straight lined". Apparently we are to believe that the balance among the corps is so surgically precise that every caption tends to also line up from top to bottom, as though no one ever has a particularly strong caption. It does happen but is the exception rather than the rule. The idea that Corps X has the Xth place corps in every caption is ridiculous. Vegas oddsmakers would choke the convenience of how things play out in an activity which is dependent on the performance of 150 individuals night to night.

In reality it points to an alarmingly bald faced groupthink fostered and encouraged by the fact that DCI and judging has never been independent of the individual corps as it should be. (see Lee Rudnicki) Mavericks have a very short life span in the DCI judging ranks, microscopically brief if you are goring one of the top 3 power brokers corps. This isnt suggestive of conspiracy (which is the typical strawman thrown up about this time) but self interest guiding people who like their gig to do whats likely to make sure theyre asked back.

Would truly independent judges change things radically? Probably not. But they would produce a different result and in a "sport" where missing the brass ring means taking the long dirt nap known as going inactive, the activity would probably be more diverse and healthier for it.

Thanks, Scerpella--that's one of the most intelligent post I've seen on DCP!

Well, I am one of the grammar police. Though I like ending my sentences in 'at.' It's a Texas thing. You can correct my use of It's versus Its...can't ever get that one right either. So while not perfect, grammatically, I pay attention to some things. As others stated, "Ms." is appropriate and actually quite professional and respectful. Nothing galls me more than people calling the President "Mr. Bush" or simply "Obama." Whichever Party you tend toward, he is the POTUS--show some respect. Though I may be quite critical of Ms. Czapinski, there is no reason to be disrespectful in how I refer to her. I like to think it lends credibility to my argument, but that may be a biased fantasy. Oh, well. (that whole reply probably sounded more terse than it was intended, so... :thumbup: have one of those! ;-)

:thumbup:

I got a great laugh out of your signature! Don't agree with a word therein, but it's a funny as heck. We have to be able to laugh at others only a little bit less than we laugh at ourselves or we're all in a big, steamin' heap!

Edited by silvertrombone

as far as the visual design goes, i didn't hate it or find it as boring/useless as some on here have. were there spots that were difficult for difficulty's sake? yes, indeed there were. visual ensemble was a nightmare, mostly due to the condensed drill. i understand the effect Rosander was going for this year because it matched the theme and feel that the design staff was going for (ever evolving organism/soul), so that's all that matters in my eyes. i don't think anyone (and i mean anyone) could've pulled it off in white uniforms.

there's no reason to get rid of Rosander. now, there is a need to find someone qualified to tech and clean his style of drill. i also think the weird toe-first step-off technique in their marching needs to go. and someone PLEASE do something inspiring with the guard! they did make HUGE strides by the end of the year, but i still don't think they were well integrated nor had a great book. maybe sloan will take over next year?

They should definitely keep Rosander. This year's drill was probably the hardest Phantom has ever done and they pulled it off. We've gone from Phantom having fairly easy drill to Phantom having drill that is difficult for difficulty's sake....lol.